MGS: Peace Walker Has Various Cardboard Boxes, Custom Snakes

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
MGS: Peace Walker Has Various Cardboard Boxes, Custom Snakes

Hideo Kojima is calling the PSP exclusive Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker an "MGS5-class game," but what does that mean? Apparently that there's going to be a "variety" of cardboard boxes and what sounds like some RPG elements for Snake?

When he wasn't too busy making us feel like a pack of idiots by explaining the bizarre logic (or rather lack thereof) behind his pre-E3 teaser site, Hideo Kojima had some actual information to share on one of the games he used the aforementioned site to promote. While he stayed firmly within the realm of vague pseudo-fact, Kojima shared a few interesting tidbits on Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, the PSP-exclusive title starring Big Boss.

From its E3 trailer [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sx4k1aa07Ng], Peace Walker appeared to be a multiplayer-focused co-op Metal Gear game with multiple Big Boss clones running around and working together. While Kojima wouldn't say exactly what Peace Walker is - aside from what he calls an "MGS5-class game" - he did say that it will be "a little different from the METAL GEAR that players have come to know."

How exactly is that? Well Kojima says that the game will be "stealth-based," but how it's structured sounds a bit unorthodox. "However, the story can be replayed numerous times and the game is full of challenges to complete, so I feel that this title will really satisfy players with its long-lasting play time," Kojima said. "Just as an example, do you recall the cardboard box at the end of the Peace Walker trailer? In addition to that two-man box, we are preparing a variety of other different cardboard boxes this time around."

So, more cardboard boxes = different ways to play through the story? What of the "challenges" he mentions? Could there be mini-objectives that people will have to solve in co-op mode? I've got no clue, but Kojima says "we are implementing features that can only be realized on the PSP platform that I believe everyone can look forward to," so it's probably best to assume something crazy.

More curious is the talk of customization and configuring characters that seems to suggest that Metal Gear might be taking on some RPG-esque traits. Apparently, you can "customize Snake according to your preferences and determine what kind of soldier you will use prior to embarking on your mission." Kojima gives the example of different "gear configurations" you can have: one that makes you less stealthy but gives you more weapons or one that does the opposite.

Kojima also mentioned a "growth feature...where your character evolves." That's pretty vague, but to me at least it brings to mind, when considered with all this talk of customizable gear and kits, something like the experience systems in games like recent Call of Duty games. "It will be a new type of system, so I hope everyone will look forward to it!" Kojima said.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Goddamnit Snake, why can't you just die with some dignity? You should've left this series a long time ago!

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Sevre90210 said:
Goddamnit Snake, why can't you just die with some dignity? You should've left this series a long time ago!
Well, I guess if you want to be really accurate, Snake's not in the game, since it's Big Boss...

Olikunmissile

Jul 16, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Sevre90210 said:
Well, I guess if you want to be really accurate, Snake's not in the game, since it's Big Boss...
Here comes the fan boy to the rescue! Big Boss' code name is Naked Snake, so I guess it is actually A snake, for some retarded accuracy. :)

Ok, so from that i make out it's going down the Metal gear online path.

customize Snake according to your preferences and determine what kind of soldier you will use prior to embarking on your mission.
That will be like selecting skills before joining a battle in MGO.

As for the customisation it will be like the MGO reward shop, getting points to buy new clothing for Big Boss.

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Sevre90210 said:
Big Boss, Naked Snake,Liquid Snake,Solid Snake,Old Snake. They are all related to Big Boss. I wish Kojima would just drop this whole thing, its been done to death, Solid Snake is Big Boss' son AND clone?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Sevre90210 said:
Keane Ng said:
Sevre90210 said:
Big Boss, Naked Snake,Liquid Snake,Solid Snake,Old Snake. They are all related to Big Boss. I wish Kojima would just drop this whole thing, its been done to death, Solid Snake is Big Boss' son AND clone?
Solid Snake is not his son. He is Big Boss clone. Solid, Solidus and Liquid were part of the cloning program called L'Enfant Terrible, and they call themselfs Sons of Big Boss cause they were born from his DNA.

So Big Boss=Solid Snake=Liquid Snake=Solidus Snake. They all the same.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
olikunmissile said:
Keane Ng said:
Sevre90210 said:
Here comes the fan boy to the rescue! Big Boss' code name is Naked Snake, so I guess it is actually A snake, for some retarded accuracy. :)

Ok, so from that i make out it's going down the Metal gear online path.

customize Snake according to your preferences and determine what kind of soldier you will use prior to embarking on your mission.
That will be like selecting skills before joining a battle in MGO.

As for the customisation it will be like the MGO reward shop, getting points to buy new clothing for Big Boss.
Hrm. Interesting.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
It sounds to me a lot like MGO with another unlock axis. I'm sorry if saying it that way ruins your shtick of writing 3 paragraphs intimating that Hideo is crazy and then refusing to glue stuff together in a falsifiable prediction to further drive home your delivered wisdom that Hideo is crazy, but that's just what I thought after reading his words and processing them to a conclusion without trying to make it into a "Hideo is crazy" joke. Again.

Zersy

Nov 11, 2008
LISTEN EVERYONE !

We should all accept that deep in our minds we all know this game will be different and still great , so please stop all these little side notes ? because when something like this is happening it's very obvious what the outcome is

1. Great and fun game (some will love and some will hate)
2. with some surprises

DUN DUN DUN !

I just proved that commen sense is something that we like to neglect from the fear of it being not as useful as it tell us it is.

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
SaintWaldo said:
It sounds to me a lot like MGO with another unlock axis. I'm sorry if saying it that way ruins your shtick of writing 3 paragraphs intimating that Hideo is crazy and then refusing to glue stuff together in a falsifiable prediction to further drive home your delivered wisdom that Hideo is crazy, but that's just what I thought after reading his words and processing them to a conclusion without trying to make it into a "Hideo is crazy" joke. Again.
Fine. I get the idea. You guys are sick of pictures of Kojima on a duck and me making jokes about Kojima being crazy.

The facts remain that 1) We have a picture of Kojima on a duck and a mandate to use it and 2) Kojima is a crazy ass dude. BUT, if you guys would rather have your Kojima-related info completely without duck pictures and me trying to make KRAZY KOJIMA jokes, fine. I'll stop. Have your Kojima stories free of duck photos and silly jokes.

For the record, I only made one reference to Kojima being crazy in this article. I guess the "intimation" is there, but gimme a break.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
oliveira8 said:
Sevre90210 said:
Keane Ng said:
Sevre90210 said:
Solid Snake is not his son. He is Big Boss clone. Solid, Solidus and Liquid were part of the cloning program called L'Enfant Terrible, and they call themselfs Sons of Big Boss cause they were born from his DNA.

Not really, and science (or Kojima's interpretation of it) does not work the way you think it does. Cloning someone doesn't mean it's the same exact person and therefore there isn't any lineage/descendancy. In effect the L'Enfants Terribles are the biological sons of Big Boss although they share his genetic code.

As to the game itself? Well Portable Ops was a mess story-wise and I don't see how Peace Walker is supposed to make that better.

Also I'm putting $5 on "Peace Walker" being the operational codename of the titular Metal Gear in this game. Why? Because oxymorons are funny, that's why!

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
AceDiamond said:
oliveira8 said:
Sevre90210 said:

Not really, and science (or Kojima's interpretation of it) does not work the way you think it does. Cloning someone doesn't mean it's the same exact person and therefore there isn't any lineage/descendancy.
One's clone is, for all practical purposes, just one's child born without a second genetic parent.

This ought to be common sense by now, but people feel the need to split hairs for some reason or another.

And oliveira8, clones are no more the "same person" than twins or triplets are the "same" as their siblings. Since, technically, any identical siblings are biologically cloned from the same zygote. Their duplication is even more precise than clones made from a grown adult, which would be a person whose genetic material is already deteriorated to some extent and less ripe for true, perfect copying.

You really can't say that Big Boss and Solid Snake and the other Snakes are all the same person, any more than you could say that any other twin was the same person as their identical siblings. (And, often, you'd get a dirty look for even suggesting it.)

Kojima may be many things, but in calling them the "Sons of Big Boss," and by not treating every Snake as one conglomerate entity, he got it right.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
Kojima may be many things, but in calling them the "Sons of Big Boss," and by not treating every Snake as one conglomerate entity, he got it right.
Well I was agreeing that Kojima was right in treating them as his sons, I was just saying there was a lot of confusion surrounding that whole "dominant/recessive gene" argument.

Dorian Cornelius Jasper

Space Robot From Outer Space
Apr 8, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Well I was agreeing that Kojima was right in treating them as his sons, I was just saying there was a lot of confusion surrounding that whole "dominant/recessive gene" argument.
Oh yes. That was total nonsense right there.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
Dorian Cornelius Jasper said:
AceDiamond said:
oliveira8 said:
Sevre90210 said:

Not really, and science (or Kojima's interpretation of it) does not work the way you think it does. Cloning someone doesn't mean it's the same exact person and therefore there isn't any lineage/descendancy.
One's clone is, for all practical purposes, just one's child born without a second genetic parent.

This ought to be common sense by now, but people feel the need to split hairs for some reason or another.

And oliveira8, clones are no more the "same person" than twins or triplets are the "same" as their siblings. Since, technically, any identical siblings are biologically cloned from the same zygote. Their duplication is even more precise than clones made from a grown adult, which would be a person whose genetic material is already deteriorated to some extent and less ripe for true, perfect copying.

You really can't say that Big Boss and Solid Snake and the other Snakes are all the same person, any more than you could say that any other twin was the same person as their identical siblings. (And, often, you'd get a dirty look for even suggesting it.)

They the same person DNA wise. They might be different on personality and other technicalities but they all share the same DNA code. Tho all of 3 of them werew changed geneticly.