BioShock Infinite Launch Date Moved to 2013

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
BioShock Infinite Launch Date Moved to 2013

Ken Levine wants to make sure Columbia is ready for visitors.

After months of hype and October 2012 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116523-BioShock-Infinite-Introduces-the-Siren], BioShock Infinite has been pushed back to February 2013.

"When we announced the release date of BioShock Infinite in March, we felt pretty good about the timing," explained Irrational Games' Creative Director, Ken Levine, of the choice to delay BioShock Infinte's release date. "Since then, we've come to realize that some specific tweaks and improvements will make Infinite into something even more extraordinary. Therefore, to give our talented team the time they need, we've decided to move the game's release to February 26, 2013. We wanted to let our loyal (and very patient!) fans know this as soon as possible.

"I won't kid you: BioShock Infinite is a very big game," Levine continued. "And we're doing things that no one has ever done in a first-person shooter. We had a similar experience with the original BioShock, which was delayed several months as our original ship date drew near. Why? Because the Big Daddies weren't the Big Daddies you've since come to know and love. Because Andrew Ryan's golf club didn't have exactly the right swing. Because Rapture needed one more coat of grimy Art Deco."

Along with the new release date of February 2013, Levine also confirmed that BioShock Infinite will be absent from E3 next month, as well as Germany's Gamescom. Levine explained that preparing for large events like E3 diverts time and resources away from development, so instead Irrational decided to focus its efforts on getting BioShock Infinite ready to go.

"That way, the next time you see our game," Levine added. "It will be essentially the product we intend to put in the box."

JasonBurnout16

Oct 12, 2009
Sounds reasonable, I'd rather the game is in a much better state if it needs that little bit of extra time. Plus Febuary is a good month if I remember right, most releases will have passed by then.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Damnit. Sucks that it got delayed, even if it was needed.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
I appreciate they want to make it better, but seeing as Bioshock is one of the few FPS's that I'm actually looking forward to, I find this news very disappointing. On the bright side, it has less chance of interfering with my uni studies, so there's that, I suppose.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Wow, really? The game's 2012 release was announced in 2010. It even had a trailer back then, and yet their still not done? One ponders how the final product will be...

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Damnit..... just, damnit. This game better burn the land, boil the seas and shatter the sky on release.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I'm totally okay with this.

I'm sad that it had to get pushed back, but if the game still needs some tweaking, then go for it.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
IamQ said:
Wow, really? The game's 2012 release was announced in 2010. It even had a trailer back then, and yet their still not done? One ponders how the final product will be...
The release date wasn't revealed before March this year. It was unveiled in August 2010, which was a bit early but at least it wasn't leaked like every fucking game nowadays. Remember, Dragon Age: Origins was announced in 2004 but didn't came out before 2009 and it turned out to be rather excellent.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I appreciate their straight-forward reasoning and explanation for the delay, but I highly doubt this FPS is going to be unlike anything we've ever seen, as they say.

They said that about the original Bioshock, too. Wasn't true then, either.
At least it's not COD.

infinity_turtles

Apr 17, 2010
Given the amount we've seen and the studio behind this, I'm okay with it being pushbacked. Most other cases I'd be worried about an overhaul or some drastic change in direction.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Lordmarkus said:
IamQ said:
The release date wasn't revealed before March this year. It was unveiled in August 2010, which was a bit early but at least it wasn't leaked like every fucking game nowadays. Remember, Dragon Age: Origins was announced in 2004 but didn't came out before 2009 and it turned out to be rather excellent.
Why yes, the more exact release date came this year, but if you read this article

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102751-BioShock-Infinite-Takes-to-the-Skies

from August 2010 you shall see that it says:

A playable demo should be made available at GamesCom next week, though BioShock Infinite isn't expected to be released until 2012

What say you now good sir?

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I am glad some developers still put quality above getting a quick release to get money sooner. It's just a shame that it happens to be the only game being released this year that I was actually looking forward to.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Ok, I will happily admit the trailers and gameplay for this game look awesome, and it is bad that something with so many ideas got pushed back, but I dont get why people like the Bioshock franchise so much.

Lordmarkus

Jun 6, 2009
IamQ said:
Lordmarkus said:
IamQ said:
Why yes, the more exact release date came this year, but if you read this article

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102751-BioShock-Infinite-Takes-to-the-Skies

from August 2010 you shall see that it says:

A playable demo should be made available at GamesCom next week, though BioShock Infinite isn't expected to be released until 2012

What say you now good sir?
Nothing really.

Captcha: "spend time". Heh, no shit!

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Is it because I told him I was oogling his sisters? [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115052-Ken-Levine-Wants-You-To-Stop-Staring-At-His-Big-Sisters]

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
This game had me at Tears for Fears. So unless you're taking all the completely unexplainable '80s nonsense out of the game I'm still with you. I just hope that Irrational isn't taking the time to compromise their work to make better sales with demographics who otherwise couldn't give a fuck about the game unless the boobs were smaller, the story simpler and less controversial, and the explosions less bloody.

samaugsch

Oct 13, 2010
IamQ said:
I just hope this doesn't end up like DNF.