Gonna Go Back In Time

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Gonna Go Back In Time

This week the guys further debate which was indeed the best time machine ever.

Read Full Article

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I was already to dive in with a 'I know the TARDIS is quite a simple concept but you've should have scene more than a third of the new series... etc'

But arghhh you cunningly derailed me and now I can ownly froth with rage at your David Tennant (<3) comment instead of coming up with reasonable arguments, arghhh! How can you even say such things?!!! Too right he's British!!!!!

(I did have time for the <3 because even in my most vile rage there's always time for a bit of DT loving. When in doubt, go DT :D )

Daveman

has tits and is on fire
Jan 8, 2009
My main objection to the debate was that nobody pointed out that the phone booth is basically a rip off of the TARDIS.

We need to ask ourselves; why is it a phone booth in Bill and Ted? It makes zero impact on the story it being a phone booth. It could easily have just been a box all sci-fied up.

For Doctor Who, however, it is a police box (an old british phone booth for emergency calls) because that was what people would look for it when they needed help and sure enough they would find it inside. It is a pre-ghostbusters "who you gonna call?" In the modern series it takes on a whole new level where it still works and it does its part and from a seemingly lowly, dated bit of technology becoming the most spectacular hero in the end. Replace "bit of technology" in that sentence with "country" and I think most Brits will agree that that epitomises our view of ourselves.

That said, the Delorean is miles better than both. It's just WAY cooler. It brought gull-wing doors to the masses.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Daveman said:
For Doctor Who, however, it is a police box (an old british phone booth for emergency calls) because that was what people would look for it when they needed help and sure enough they would find it inside. It is a pre-ghostbusters "who you gonna call?" In the modern series it takes on a whole new level where it still works and it does its part and from a seemingly lowly, dated bit of technology becoming the most spectacular hero in the end. Replace "bit of technology" in that sentence with "country" and I think most Brits will agree that that epitomises our view of ourselves.
I thought the TARDIS was a police box because the cloaking device got stuck. Or was that a retcon of some kind? Or is that the in universe explanation and they symbolism of it was the reason the writers chose it?

The Random One

May 29, 2008
OK, opinions are opinions, but David Tennant isn't that British. Hell, I'd say he's one of the least British characters on the show. Even the Face of Bo is more British than him.