Metro: Last Light Countdown Begins

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Metro: Last Light Countdown Begins

Something is happening at the Metro: Last Light website.

Troubles [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-2033-Pc/dp/B002V14VOC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337031536&sr=8-1] at THQ made the future of the game look possibly dubious, but it appears to be alive and well and ready to strut some stuff for us later this month.

There's not a whole lot to see right now, but enterthemetro.com [http://www.enterthemetro.com/us/teaser/] is now sporting a new logo and a countdown with a little under ten days on the clock. And what happens when it ticks down to zero? It's actually not much of a mystery this time, as the site states that a "live action short film" will premiere on the site on May 24.

In Metro 2033, a world-ending event forced humanity to seek refuge underground in places like the Moscow Metro, where survivors eke out a desperate existence, searching for ways to save humanity while continuing age-old fights between political factions like Communists and Nazis. It's a dark, difficult, unforgiving and all-around unpleasant game, which is of course what makes it so awesome. We can only hope for more of the same in Metro: Last Light.

Metro 2033 was based on the novel of the same name by Russian author Dmity Glukhovsky, who has also apparently been working with 4A Games on the development of the new game. However, Metro: Last Light will not follow the events of Glukhovsky's sequel, Metro 2034.

Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337031536&sr=8-2] is currently expected to be out in early 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
I got Metro 2033 well after its release when it went on sale on steam but was really glad to grab it. It was the little touches that sold me on the whole scenario like improvised weapons reminiscent of real world examples, the need to monitor gas canister supplies with destroyable masks really made the environment feel like it was dangerous on its own without monsters and an AI that don't switch back to calm normal states after watching their buddy get blown away from me in stealth but not being able to find me immediately.

I look forward to what the sequel has to offer.

edit: and who can forget high grade bullets as currency! I think it was an Extra Credits "Games you might want to try" episode that made me seek it out based on examples such as that.

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
toomuchnothing said:
and who can forget high grade bullets as currency!
Oh I don't, Given I accidentally unloaded a full clip of them once, Thank the gods for quickload.

OT: Sooon, so looking forward to seeing what they do as its meant to be a new series of events differing from the books.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I hope they at least pay lip service to optimization this time. I loved Metro 2033 but it is a pig. Great lighting though. Hell as long as they keep the same feel, and tweak the engine a little I'll be happy. Seem to remember reading that they were abandoning the ammo as currency mechanic though as it turned people off. Bad move if they do that.

CAPTCHA: patience, child
...but Max Payne 3 is still weeeeeeeks away...I want it now! *stamps foot*

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Good luck THQ.. hope its the turning point you need. Not familiar with the franchise, but again, they need all the help they can get right now.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I'm glad things are still looking good enough for THQ to make this kind of stuff. That said, it's no small surprise they put a lot of money into this, they will for their most successful franchises at this point. I really enjoyed Metro 2033, but I do acknowledge it is 1/2 hardware test for the PC. That game looks fantastic and runs rough. But it's still great.

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
I found it kind of sad that I thought combat was much too easy in Metro: 2033, then I realized that I'd been using the high grade ammo by accident for about three quarters of the game. I could never figure out why I couldn't afford anything at the shops when I was usually so anal about hoarding...

And yet, I still managed to run out of ammo right at the point where the flashback ended and continued with no guns for basically the rest of the game.

Still, I'm excited for Last Light though.

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Excited but is THQ even in a good state that allows to market this game properly? Hell they pulled their own E3 booth just so they can save money.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
Awesome! I loved the first game and I can't wait for this one, I haven't pre-ordered it as I usaully don't bother but I will be getting it on release at the very least. I jst hope it's as good as the first one and not been turned into a huge action shooter but I have faith, this isn't EA after all.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
I want to see this game finished and I want to play it. I loved Metro 2033.

but I have to say I am worried if THQ doesn't make it by the release date of this game, it may mean the game being cancelled or disappear completely.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Let's hope this game has a light at the end of it's tunnel. Even if THQ does go under, It'd be a shame to abandon the game completely, maybe it could be rescued by someone else.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I had to borrow the game from a friend to play on the 360 thanks to problems wih the Steam version, but I still enjoyed the game.
Then I read the book.
ow I am slightly disappointed that the game missed so much :(
But I'm still looking forward to ny new Metro media.
I should look for that sequel you mentioned, definitely going to be worth it.
Especially since Metro 2033 is the only book that has ever scared me (When they're in the station neighboring Park Pobedy, Kievskaya I think, with the pipes).

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
I too read the first book, and it was nifty. A great Post-Apocalypse story.

And, this may seem like a strange comment... But Metro 2033 is the game I always like to play when I'm high. There's something about it that really caters to me.

TheLastSamurai14

Last day of PubClub for me. :'-(
Mar 23, 2011
Who else got Metro because of Criken and stayed because it's a spectacular game?

Just me? Oh, carry on then.

Anyway, I loved that game a lot. A great atmosphere, a competent health regen system, and ammo as currency really set it apart from the sea of other grey-brown shooters out there. My hopes are set high for Last Light, and I don't think 4A and THQ are gonna disappoint if the first installment was any indication of their competence when it comes to the FPS genre.