Fun With Microwaves

Graham_LRR

Unskippable, LRR, Feed Dump
Nov 13, 2008
Fun With Microwaves

And here you thought that monkeying with microwaves was for professionals.

Read Full Article

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
It will, however, cook you if you're dumb enough to stand there long enough.

One of the two valuable lessons The Tubes song "What Do You Want from Life?" taught me was "don't watch the food cook". The other was the description "a baby's arm holding an apple".

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Was very disappointed the minute of blackness at the end didn't come to anything.

Otherwise, very insightful. I now know how microwaves work and know not to put nothing in a microwave. I also know how big Laserdiscs are now. Who the hell though they were a good idea?

Calumon: It's bigger than me! D:

Antitonic

Enlightened Dispenser Of Truth!
Feb 4, 2010
OH GOD, I'M LEARNING! WHY!?

Not going to lie, kind of want a CD-bowl now.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
And here I was thinking I knew how microwaves worked. I would be interested in what Cam majored in in college to learn this. Chemical engineering maybe.

Keal

Feb 16, 2011
Eric the Orange said:
And here I was thinking I knew how microwaves worked. I would be interested in what Cam majored in in college to learn this. Chemical engineering maybe.
It was probably just plain old physics ;-)

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
War Penguin said:
I now want a segment called "Science with Cam." :D
Science Cam is Science Paul's arch-nemesis. :p

OT: That minute of darkness tricked me into thinking there were more! D:

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
You mentioned dry marshmallows, what happens to a wet marshmallow in the microwave?

"So, while it's obviously a terrible idea to take your microwave's grill off, it's not the instant death ray you may think."

There goes that world domination plan :(

Hitchmeister

Nov 24, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
Was very disappointed the minute of blackness at the end didn't come to anything.

Otherwise, very insightful. I now know how microwaves work and know not to put nothing in a microwave. I also know how big Laserdiscs are now. Who the hell though they were a good idea?

Calumon: It's bigger than me! D:
When laserdiscs came out, the 12" LP was still a very popular music format. The laserdisc fit in the same bins that people were buying music from, so it seemed natural from a marketing standpoint. They also didn't look so comically large in that context.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floppy_disk]
Jack and Calumon said:
I also know how big Laserdiscs are now. Who the hell though they were a good idea?
Everyone who didn't like the quality of VHS. Ah, those were the days. Better quality, but rare, expensive, and then there was panic about "laser rot".

And first gen tech is ALWAYS huge. Floppies were eight inches across and hard drives were the size of sporting events [http://catb.org/jargon/html/W/washing-machine.html].

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
TimeLord said:
You mentioned dry marshmallows, what happens to a wet marshmallow in the microwave?

"So, while it's obviously a terrible idea to take your microwave's grill off, it's not the instant death ray you may think."

Well, the microwave was a re-purposed radar antenna from the late 50's early 60's. The primary materials a microwave is used to excite are water, fat, and protein. Failing that, microwaves will go for sugar molecules causing them to expand. A wet marshmallow will expand as a marshmallow does, while it heats up as the water molecules are excited.

Don Reba

Bishop and Councilor of War
Jun 2, 2009
There was surprisingly little complaining about the cleanup required and surprisingly much science by Cam.
TimeLord said:

If it's any consolation, you could still use a microwave magnetron to fry electronics at a distance. And the world needs electronics.

nintendo414

Wakaman
Mar 16, 2010
I really learned something today. I wouldn't mind seeing a science segment because it was actually interesting.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
I believe that Cam deserves some extra awesome points for teaching us about microwaves without being incredibly boring.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
Science boner indeed. Loved Cam's lecture on quantum mechanical phenomena. Also the gummy bears were highly pimp and I'm glad I got to see them.