Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Firefall Beta Preview

Testing the edges of a MMOFPS

Read Full Article

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I've played a bit of the beta and when they start adding the rest of the gameplay features that they've been promoting, I think it could come together into something I could really see myself sinking some time into.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
Kind of what I expect Team Fortress 2 would be if it were open world.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I see what you did there Mr. Tito, well played.

I like the game in it's current stage, even if it's unfinished. No, scratch that, I like the potential of the game. As somebody said, a free beta means that you get the chance to test a broken game for free, even if the game itself will be F2P.

Also, yes, well, Red 5 already said that the game will expand as player population gather enough resources to expand the purple storm and reveal new territories and yes, they're still yet to add (fill?) more... life into the game.

Gearhart Ronkus

Mar 8, 2012
I really like the look and feel even in Beta. Plus you get a jet-pack :) Put a few hours into testing to help things along. I prefer Betas this way some of the games in Beta now you can get attached to your character then when they wipe for launch it stings a bit.

Ickabod

May 29, 2008
Played the Beta and after I realized that I was going to be grinding at level 4, I quickly uninstalled it.

ManupBatman

Jun 23, 2011
Very excited about this, check out their plans for staged content. It's a pretty cool use of the MMO concept.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I think I might be a little too occupied with Guild Wars 2, Diablo 3, and Torchlight 2 to have enough time for this game, but seeing as it will be F2P, I'll at least give it a chance when it comes out.

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Ickabod said:
Played the Beta and after I realized that I was going to be grinding at level 4, I quickly uninstalled it.
That seems like a hasty judgement on a game still in beta. If it was full release, I could understand, but at beta level it's more about testing game limits than providing a complete game experience.

I think it looks interesting and I'd be more than happy to give it a shot.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
The world probably doesn't feel big as the majority of it is purposely sectioned off. Wasn't the point that the players had to manually expand the zones of influence to unlock new locations as a collective whole (per server)?

qwertyz

Mar 19, 2011
AC10 said:
The world probably doesn't feel big as the majority of it is purposely sectioned off. Wasn't the point that the players had to manually expand the zones of influence to unlock new locations as a collective whole (per server)?
That content hasn't made it into the beta build yet. It is the point, but not right now. Later.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Tabula Rasa with a jetpack? I can work with that. One day someone will manage to make an MMOFPS that actually works, and if it has jetpacks in it, so much the better.

Gearhart Ronkus

Mar 8, 2012
Its will be F2P model (no initial game purchase will be needed) at launch which makes it a lot easier for people to try out. No reason not to try it out at launch. If you aren't already a fan stay clear of Beta's they can burn you out on a game fast.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
I played the beta following PAXEast 2012 but the last patch broke the game and I could not get it to run anymore. Apparently I have to us some tool from the website but I could not find it so I gave up on it.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
*sadface* So many errors, Greg ...
But given that the site isn't informative and there's hardly any way to access the lore/game data without lurking the forums, I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. :D

As for the empty world ... Lack of PvE content, as they're focusing on PvP right now mostly.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
This appears a lot like global agenda. Maybe a bit of a different story, but the over all gameplay looks rather the same. The only extra class here is the dreadnaught, and even that was covered by the assault class in global agenda. The rest of the classes have the exact same name, and seem to have the same abilities as those in global agenda. I'm doubting they could beat global agenda's PvP, especially with the AvA and such, but as it is a free game, I'll still give it a look.

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011
klaynexas3 said:
This appears a lot like global agenda. Maybe a bit of a different story, but the over all gameplay looks rather the same. The only extra class here is the dreadnaught, and even that was covered by the assault class in global agenda. The rest of the classes have the exact same name, and seem to have the same abilities as those in global agenda. I'm doubting they could beat global agenda's PvP, especially with the AvA and such, but as it is a free game, I'll still give it a look.
It appears how Global Agenda used to be, or was supposed to become, not like today's cash shop imbalanced pile of ... well, you get my drift.
That said, currently it's still mid-development, estimates go from less than 10% finished to around 30% finished. An Army System and Open World conquest (as well as the Staged Content ExtraCreditz showed) is coming, as well as Open World PvP of some sort. PvP is also supposed to be less instanced but seamless with the Open World, so, basically, you enter the arena and hop straight into the PvP match. Said arena is part of the Open World itself, thus you just transition from the PvE area to the PvP arena (Go wordplay!).
Throw in the large PvE random events and the fight against the Chosen + Melding and you end up with an amazing game to come. Global Agenda 2.0 with a much larger focus on combining PvE and PvP, if you will.
One thing I beg to differ on, though: Except for the Engineer, none of the battleframes is properly comparable to Global Agenda's classes, as both weapons and abilities differ largely from GA's devices in both application and functunality. (Read: A whole different set of abilities, and a different system for weapons)