Magic: The Gathering Pro Jon Finkel Confirmed for Expo

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Magic: The Gathering Pro Jon Finkel Confirmed for Expo

The Escapist has summoned a world champion for three days of competitive and casual MTG.

Now that registration is officially open [http://www.escapistexpo.com/registration] for the first ever Escapist Expo, we'd like to begin going into more detail about just what exactly will be waiting for you behind those big convention doors this September. To kick things off, we're pleased to announce that former Magic: The Gathering World Champion and Pro Tour Hall of Fame inductee Jon Finkel will be in attendance for Expo 2012's weekend-long series of DCI-sanctioned tournaments and drafts!

Finkel, described by Wizards of the Coast as "simply one of the all-time greatest players the game of Magic has ever seen," has won a mind-boggling three Grand Prix events, three Pro Tour Events, and competed as part of the United States National Team. There's even an official card out there ([mtg_card=Shadowmage Infiltrator]) immortalizing the dude's face.

You can come meet Finkel during our headline MTG event, the Saturday Standard Constructed tournament, on September 15th. The competition will be hosted by The Escapist and our organizing partners, Gamers Helping Gamers. [http://www.scifigenre.com/] For those of you unfamiliar, GHG is a nonprofit organization founded by a bunch of Magic gurus to help young players afford college. By competing, not only will you have a really great time, but you'll be helping out a fantastic charity along the way. Sounds like a win-win to me.

Saturday's tournament begins, well, Saturday at 10:00 A.M. on September 15th, and will accommodate 300 players. Though all proceeds will be donated to charity, there are going to be a truckload of prizes to be had for the winners. You can expect everything from exclusive playmats to meeting your favorite Escapist personality to sitting down with theMTG pro-players themselves. We'll have more information on prizes and pre-registration on the Expo's official site soon.

If you can't make it on Saturday, don't worry. Expo will support a dedicated MTG zone all weekend long, complete with a supply store, professional card artists, and a 24-hour play schedule.

Sound good? You've got to be part of the Expo to be part of the game. So shuffle your deck, catch up on get yourself registered [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/hexproof/9619-Extending-Miracle-Control-to-Standard] if you want in.

Image: Wizards of the Coast [http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/halloffame.aspx?x=mtgevent/hofplayer/jfinkel]

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
I don't know anything about Magic, despite always wanting to get into the game, but when you have a former world champion coming to your event, you know things are going right!

tiredinnuendo

Jan 2, 2008
Maybe he could chat up a female expo attendee and make some good progress and then get shot down when she finds out he plays magic. And then she could blog about it.

- J

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
tiredinnuendo said:
Maybe he could chat up a female expo attendee and make some good progress and then get shot down when she finds out he plays magic. And then she could blog about it.

- J
How about we just not have that happen. Ever. Again.

OT: Hot damn now I really need to try and go.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
TimeLord said:
I don't know anything about Magic, despite always wanting to get into the game, but when you have a former world champion coming to your event, you know things are going right!
Finkel loves to do charity work, so it isn't surprising that he jumped on this opportunity.
In other news, I really want to go. I will try to get a ride.

blalien

Jul 3, 2009
TimeLord said:
You could get started for literally $20 by buying two preconstructed decks and giving one to a friend. Just don't let yourself get addicted.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
I recall a time when the Fink making a public appearance was a bad thing - the man was loathed for such a long time.

mistwolf

Feb 1, 2008
lax4life said:
tiredinnuendo said:

- J
How about we just not have that happen. Ever. Again.

OT: Hot damn now I really need to try and go.
I want to give Escapist credit for not even mentioning that. He should be known for his top skills and expert play, not that mess, even if he looked pretty great and gentlemanly in that mess.

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
SL33TBL1ND said:
Stop making me sad that I live in Australia. I so want to go to this.
My thoughts exactly! You guys better take lots of photos for those of us that can't make it.

tanatoes

Feb 4, 2010
The announcement doesn't say if this is an official DCI sanctioned event. With 300 players that would be a chance for me to collect a whole bunch of Plainswalker Points even if I lose every match (which is more than likely.)