Rumors Hint at a Pair of Castlevanias for E3

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumors Hint at a Pair of Castlevanias for E3

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow may be getting a sequel.

Word has it that Konami's iconic vampire-slaying franchise will be getting a twofer showing at this year's E3 show next month. Dutch site domains [http://www.n1ntendo.nl/article/38050/1/3DS/upd-wereldprimeur-castlevania-mirror-of-fate-in-de-maak-voor-3ds] for a "Castlevania Mirror of Fate" earlier this year, so there's at least substance to this one.

The rumor was corroborated by PlayStation All-Stars [http://paulgalenetwork.com/home/2012/05/21/its-time-to-share-the-wii-u3ds-game-that-paul-gale-network-hinted-at-2011s-final-hour-castlevania-mirror-of-fate/], lending this some credibility.

According to PGN, Mirror of Fate is a classic 2D Castlevania that will use the forward-facing cameras on the 3DS and Wii U controller as the "mirrors" in question, while the outward-facing cameras will be used to solve puzzles somehow. The game will feature cross-platform functionality between Wii U and 3DS, and will be similarly playable on both, with the Wii U's controller screen serving the same purpose as the 3DS' lower one.

While N1ntendo claimed that the game was in the hands of Spanish developer MercurySteam, the team behind 2010's disabused those notions on Twitter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8200-Review-Castlevania-Lords-of-Shadow]. When asked to comment about Mirror of Fate, Cox wrote that it was the "wrong end of the stick," and called it "misinformed." He did offer a teaser, however, saying that truth was better than fiction.

We just may have an idea of what David Cox's "truth" is - the same PGN report that included details of Mirror of Fate also mentioned that Konami would soon be revealing Lords of Shadow 2 for Wii U, PS3, Xbox 360 and PS Vita. It would make sense, then, for MercurySteam to be working on its own sequel while another team handles Mirror of Fate.

Given that the very end sequence of Lords of Shadow revealed an unexpected and intriguing plot twist, it's not surprising that we may be getting a sequel. I'm also quite interested in where it might go.

As always, these are still currently rumors, so don't go planning your double-Castlevania parties just yet. We'll know for sure next month come E3.

Source: PaulGaleNetwork [http://www.n1ntendo.nl/article/38050/1/3DS/upd-wereldprimeur-castlevania-mirror-of-fate-in-de-maak-voor-3ds]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Oooh, colour me intrigued. What with Lords Of Shadow being my first Castlevania, I didn't go in with the notion that the 3D Castlevanias were bad, at least compared to the 2D ones, and I enjoyed it immensely, and yes, I am definitely interested to see how the ending twist turns out. Of course this is all if the rumours are true, mind.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
I don't truly hate the 3D Castlevanias(and I haven't played LoS), but I do think that they would be better off with more "Metroidvania" features. My ideal 3D Castlevania would look something like a perverse combination of Prince of Persia and Shadow of the Colossus. With a whip.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Lords of Shadow was a decent game.

But it was NOT a castlevania game. As Yahtzee put it, it was "God of War: Germanic Mythology Edition".

Legacy of Darkness was the last great 3D Castlevania game (and I played the hell out of it) so let's see more of that.
Yeah I'm not sure this is the way they should be revamping the franchise.
I'm so sick of this. Puns like that drain the life right out of a discussion.

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
I bought LoS, biggest fucking mistake I made in a long time. I was expecting a game like the PS2 ones. So fucking SHITTY! Hope the next ones are better

Mark Draland

May 22, 2012
Can't wait for a new castlevania, it was one of the first games that gave me the creeps when I was a kid! LoS was a big disapointment gotta be better then that right?

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i really loved Lords of shadow. sure i'm also a big fan metroidvania style gameplay, but i think those work better on handhelds and as downloadable titles. so yeah, i'm looking forward to the announcement.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
blech, LoS was one of the worst Castlevania's in history; nothing more than committee-designed schlock made by a mediocre company. Then again, I suppose ti should be expected of a has-been studio like Konami.