2K Boston Has Never Had Layoffs

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
2K Boston Has Never Had Layoffs

Layoffs seem to be par for the course for many developers in the games industry nowadays, but one company claims that it has never had a single layoff in its entire history: Ken Levine's 2K Boston.

The games industry has been hit, like just about every other industry out there these days, with its fair share of job losses. From troubled companies like Midway to big entities like Electronic Arts, news of layoffs have gotten frequent enough to the point that's it's not really news anymore.

One well-known developer, however, claims to have a history that bucks this trend. According to its boss, 2K Boston, once known as Irrational Games and the developer of System Shock II and now known for making the first BioShock, has never had a single layoff. "We've never had a layoff in the history of our company, and I'm very proud of that," Ken Levine said.

That's a feat worth boasting about for any business. But times have changed since 2K Boston was founded 12 years ago. Will Levine's company be able to keep its staff as stable as it has? Levine thinks so. "And, you know, I can't make predictions for the future, but I think culturally we've always felt it was very important to hire the right people - and not hire too many people so things get out of control - and think about a plan," he said.

Having a "plan," Levine thinks, is the key to keeping employees and something other companies don't do enough these days. "One of the reasons, I think, that you see a lot of layoffs in this industry is that you have these huge products, and you don't have a plan for what you do afterward," Levine explained. "So the product ends, and - you see this day after day, you know - teams get cut in half or shut down after the product ships, because there's no plan to move on for the future."

Keeping a small staff doesn't hurt, either: "It's because, if you get a huge staff, that makes you feel good, and you sit out there, and you go, 'Oh, look at my domain, here. I've got 200 people working on this product.' But that's a tough number to carry at the end of a project."

[Via Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4082/ken_levine_on_studio_culture_from_.php]]

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I'll admit that I'm impressed.
Not many companies can say that they have never layed anyone off.

I hope that he hasn't jinxed his employees now.

brabz

Jan 3, 2008
He better have been knocking his head against wood as he was reporting that. Great track record, and impressive in this economy especially.

TheZapper

Jul 11, 2009
That's certainly a very admirable feat.

hopefully other developers will take note in regards to long term planning for development teams.

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
That's pretty impressive, but what's Levine's opinion on his resemblance to Dane Cook?

haha. But seriously, the guy looks like Dane Cook.

Aac18

Mar 21, 2009
That's certainly a very impressive feat for any business, hats off to them. And yeah he does look so much like Dane Cook.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
Its nice to hear that in this horrific economy, some people are still going strong. I hope that 2k Boston keeps on being a successful company.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Remember that Irrational did have some tough times after System Shock 2, they released 2 brilliant games that nobody bought and then they went and worked their asses off and gave us Bioshock. I think the message here is don't give up, keep working.

Bobby_C

Feb 21, 2008
nova18 said:
I'll admit that I'm impressed.
Not many companies can say that they have never layed anyone off.
I've known companies that could claim that, but usually it was because instead of laying exmployees off they just made their life hell until they left of their own accord. :(

hansari

May 31, 2009
xmetatr0nx said:
Makes me wonder how many they forced to quit or just fired.
Bobby_C said:
I've known companies that could claim that, but usually it was because instead of laying exmployees off they just made their life hell until they left of their own accord. :(
Haha, well if that were true, I'm sure we would have gotten an "anonymous" tip from a disgruntled employee about just how much it sucks to work under this 2K Fascist :p

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
i think they haven't had to lay people off cause of smart business decisions and smart hiring, which isn't something you don't find a lot

good on them being able to do that tho

ThaBenMan

Mandalorian Buddha
Mar 6, 2008
thisnameistaken2 said:
anyone else get reminded of this guy

from the ken levine dude?

and thats impressive, hope he had wood nearby though...
Say Anything said:
That's pretty impressive, but what's Levine's opinion on his resemblance to Dane Cook?

haha. But seriously, the guy looks like Dane Cook.
Aac18 said:
That's certainly a very impressive feat for any business, hats off to them. And yeah he does look so much like Dane Cook.
Hmmm... I don't see the resemblance, to that guy pictured, or Dane Cook.

He is a funny lookin' dude, I'll admit... brilliant, sure, but kinda weird looking. And the strangest thing is that his picture gets around a lot.

Anyway, huzzah for 2K's stability.