E3: Hands On with Company of Heroes 2

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3: Hands On with Company of Heroes 2

Normally, "more of the same" sounds boring. In this case, I make an exception.

Read Full Article

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
When I heard the sequel was taking place in the Eastern front, I was mildly disappointed because there's already an excellent mod [http://www.easternfront.org/] for the first game taking place during the invasion of the Soviet Union.

Now, I'm in full hype mode.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Looks good, the persistent tracks in the snow are going to be awesome. I still wanted Africa though...

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Hopefully they'll still have the great variety in unit quotes.

I can't wait to see some actual gameplay.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Normandy and Bastogne are fine, but the huge, sweeping epic that played out between Moscow and Russia is a perfect choice for the sequel.
I'm pretty sure that Moscow is in fact in Russia.

Otherwise looks good. I only got in CoH recently due to a steam sale. I love it.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry but:
Normandy and Bastogne are fine, but the huge, sweeping epic that played out between Moscow Germany and Russia is a perfect choice for the sequel. Your editor would have your head for that.

OT: FLAMETHROWERS! It's been far too long since StarCraft 2. I need to get my burn on.
But Steve is the Editor in Chief!
Who edits the editors?

jawakiller

Jan 14, 2011

No but seriously, take it.

I know people said it before me but I'm pretty sure I'm serious about that shit.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
AC10 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry but:
Normandy and Bastogne are fine, but the huge, sweeping epic that played out between Moscow Germany and Russia is a perfect choice for the sequel. Your editor would have your head for that.

OT: FLAMETHROWERS! It's been far too long since StarCraft 2. I need to get my burn on.
Who edits the editors?
Who Watches the Watchmen?
That was, indeed, what I was referring to :p

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
AC10 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Sorry but:

Who edits the editors?
Clearly no-one does. Unless we count...

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
I never got to play much of CoH 1, but the little I did play I really enjoyed. Good to see they're going to make more of the same, that seems to work most of the time for RTS sequels.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Alright! I'm totally psyched for this, the first game was awesome.

goodman528

Jul 30, 2008
CoH was my number one favorite game, however, I'll be very disappointed if they don't do more in CoH 2. Back in 2006 it was a revolutionary game (because most people have never played Ground control), no resource collection, squad based unit control, cover based combat, firing arcs for weapons support teams, all of that was very interesting. That was what made it a good RTS. However, if they just try to release the same game 6 years later... ... it would just feel like the same game, but you know, out dated by six years of development.

Problems with CoH 1 system:

1) Capping points is an abusable system that took away all sense of realism in multiplayer. Pio-Spam, Rifle-Spam, Volks-Spam in COHO, are all results of the point capping system. Europe in Ruins mod and Wargame: EE has come up with better systems already.

2) Infantry (Especially Vetted KCH) will eat up hundreds of machine gun bullets, take 155mm artillery shells to the face, and still kill anything on the battlefield like they are God. I frequently run vet 3 KCH around sherman tanks and charging head on into MGs, knowing that 76mm HE shells and 7.92mm bullets are evidently not enough to kill 3 flesh and blood men, because as we all know Nazis in black leather are ******* gods.

3) House ownership. Why can't I just storm into an enemy occupied house and fight them for it? But instead have to run around the house like a bunch of idiots shooting at walls? Also bullets that shoot through terrain is an engine problem.

4) Accuracy. Most of the units in the game can't hit an elephant standing right in front of them with a ******* rifle.

5) Hit Points for Tanks and Vehicles. <-- This is what makes RTS games so unrealistic. After all these years of RTS development why do we still have hit points in games?! When an AP shell hits a tanks, it should do one of three things: a) Bounce off, b) Penetrate and damage specific modules and/or kill crew members, c) destroy the tank. It should NOT take away some hit points from the tank. I mean WTF do hit points represent for a tank?!

CoH was one of the best games ever made, and I bought it twice (on disk and on steam), and I told all of my friends to buy it and try it. However, if they make the same game six years later, then it will be nothing but a derivative RTS title. Look at Starcraft, which was the best RTS game in 1999, but Starcraft 2 is a boring and outdated RTS game for 2010. I don't want to see CoH go down that same road.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Sigh, if only the steam version of the original game and it's expansions wasn't so horribly buggy I'd be playing the thing right now.

Thedutchjelle

Mar 31, 2009
Blunderboy said:
Normandy and Bastogne are fine, but the huge, sweeping epic that played out between Moscow and Russia is a perfect choice for the sequel.
I'm pretty sure that Moscow is in fact in Russia.

Otherwise looks good. I only got in CoH recently due to a steam sale. I love it.
So I wasn't the only one who was bothered by that.

Game looks interesting, but currently am using SC2 as my RTS fix. Kinda glad it's about the Eastern Front for once, that front doesn't get half the attention it deserves.