UPDATE: Doctor Who Short Hints at Olympic Surprise

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
UPDATE: Doctor Who Short Hints at Olympic Surprise

The BBC has produced a student-penned episode, leading to a mysterious announcement.

It might be another month or so before we get to the Series 7 premiere of Doctor Who, but on the bright side, the BBC just released a brand new Doctor Who short featuring the current incarnation of the Doctor and his companion Amy Pond accidentally interrupting the 2012 Olympic torch run and briefly battling against an age-old nemesis.

The episode came about after the BBC held a contest last year titled Script to Screen, in which primary schools competed to write an Olympic-themed script for a Doctor Who short. The school with the winning script would get to see their screenplay turned into an actual, full-on Doctor Who mini-episode.

As some of you may recall, a Doctor Who Episode from 2006 featured a similar scenario, seeing the Doctor (played then by David Tennant) completing the very last leg of the torch relay for the (you guessed it) 2012 Summer Olympics. Coupled with some tweets from the official Doctor Who [https://twitter.com/#!/bbcdoctorwho] Twitter feed, suggests that there may be something special in the works for this Saturday when the Olympic torch passes through Cardiff, the home of Doctor Who's studio.

Will Tennant run the real torch? According to the official Twitter feed, we'll find out at midnight.

Source: The Mary Sue [http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/05/doctor-who-mini-episode-qgood-as-goldq-debuts]

UPDATE: The BBC has confirmed [http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/articles/Matt-Smith-to-Carry-the-Olympic-Torch] that Matt Smith will carry the Olympic torch on Saturday, May 26th, through a part of Cardiff. Smith's run will begin that morning at 6:20 am at the Norwegian Church Arts Centre in Cardiff, and fans of Doctor Who are encouraged to attend and cheer Smith on as he begins his run.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Be much cooler with a Blue Police Box suddenly appearing on the field during the opening ceremony.

sethisjimmy

May 22, 2009
"surpirse"?

I don't watch doctor who so I can't tell if this is a typo or some kind of reference...

edit: fixed, lol

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Xelien said:
There Twitter has confirmed it's going to be Matt Smith!!
And, no longer care if this turns out to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I may have a man-crush on David Tennant, but Matt Smith has been an excellent Doctor so far.

What I am, is a man who has far more of a crush for continuity. I recall that 2006 episode with David Tennant, and if it were him running with the Olympic torch in proper dress, like the show, if only for a moment, the continuity part of my brain would be locked into 'squee' mode well into 2016.

As it stands, 'not interacting with his own timeline' and all such lore is taking a bit of the joy from this. Even if I know it was fictional, still.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
XandNobody said:
Xelien said:
There Twitter has confirmed it's going to be Matt Smith!!
And, no longer care if this turns out to be true.

Don't get me wrong, I may have a man-crush on David Tennant, but Matt Smith has been an excellent Doctor so far.

What I am, is a man who has far more of a crush for continuity. I recall that 2006 episode with David Tennant, and if it were him running with the Olympic torch in proper dress, like the show, if only for a moment, the continuity part of my brain would be locked into 'squee' mode well into 2016.

As it stands, 'not interacting with his own timeline' and all such lore is taking a bit of the joy from this. Even if I know it was fictional, still.
It can still possibly(although not likely) happen, Matt Smith is just confirmed to do the torch run in Cardiff, so one can still dream for that to happen lol

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
I'm sorry, but did anyone else find that mini-episode...well just horrible?

It really felt like a fan fiction, and not the good kind.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
Saviordd1 said:

Well, to be fair, it was a fan fiction, written by school children.

Still liked seeing a weeping angel in it though, as asinine as it's 'death' was.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Saviordd1 said:

You don't seem to be the only one who missed the large credit at the start of the short that said "Written by the children of Ashdene School." Plus you know they make mention of the contest in the article right here on the site.

But we forgive you, Doctor Who is a very big distraction to everything else surrounding it.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
Saviordd1 said:

I agree. Yes, I realise it was written by children. I don't care. That doesn't make it less bad. I'm not trying to be mean or anything, just pointing something out. The whole thing felt awkward. The news about the Doctor doing the torch run (maybe) is pretty cool, although I too would prefer it were Tennant, for continuity purposes.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Good god! I hate those Weeping Angels!

I had nightmares about those damn things when I saw their introductory episode (don't know if they feature in more than one actually).

Oh yeah, and Olymipic stuff, Matt Smith, yay.

Berithil

Maintenence Man of the Universe
Mar 19, 2009
Matt Smith's running the torch? I am disappointed.

David Tennant should be running the torch.... for continuity. Oh well, i guess it's cool that the Doctor is running the torch at all, even if its the wrong one.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Since when can The Doctor directly hurt Weeping Angels with his sonic? Makes no sense.

Dooly95

Jun 13, 2009
MercurySteam said:
Since when can The Doctor directly hurt Weeping Angels with his sonic? Makes no sense.
Since children.

On topic, disappointed Tennant isn't running the torch. :<

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
We may have seen tennant running the torch way back when, but maybe that was just part of an upcoming "three doctors" episode

how great would it be if they passed it to eachother and then back to that one other guy

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
XandNobody said:
Xelien said:
There
I too would love to see Tennant do it for the sake of continuity, but maybe...just maybe it can still make sense. Maybe the torch is first carried by the guy in the video, briefly held by the angel, given back to the guy who passes it to Smith Doctor who passes it to the guy from the 2006 episode which is then carried on by Tennant Doctor! *deep breath* Of course, the only way for it to make sense in real life would be to have Tennant light the Olympic Flame, but that's probably never going to happen in a million years.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009

Yeah, that was written by a kid all right...

I don't watch Doctor Who (similar situation to Moviebob where I don't want to start now since it references all the older series), but I assume A. the Tardis isn't called a "space ship" B. you can't destroy those statues that easily and C. the Doctor doesn't go around space to have "adventures" and D. the series isn't this painful to watch.