Ubisoft Fixes False Advertising

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Ubisoft Fixes False Advertising

There's no split-screen campaign co-op in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier.

Regardless of what several retailer sites, including Ubisoft's own UbiShop, might tell you. The back of the game's box does indicate that there is split-screen co-op, and technically there is, in the game's take on horde mode: "Guerrilla." Unfortunately for Ubisoft, the sites in question specifically mention split-screen campaign co-op.

"We've been made aware of the presence of outdated information on UbiShop and several retailer sites stating split screen, cooperative play is available in Ghost Recon: Future Soldier's campaign," Ubisoft forum manager EvilPixieGrr said in an update on the publisher's forums. "We have ensured the information has been updated on the sites affected by this."

"Our customers are extremely important to us, and we hope you'll accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience and frustration caused by this miscommunication," the message continued.

So, sincerest apologies are being offered, help yourself, but the message doesn't mention whether or not Ubisoft will be offering refunds to players who picked up the game specifically for split-screen co-op. When presented with a similar situation, Microsoft offered refunds to SDTV owners who bought Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition, only to find out the game's split-screen mode was only available on HDTVs. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117363-Microsoft-Offers-Refunds-To-Low-Def-Minecraft-Users ]

Source: Ubisoft Forums [http://forums.ubi.com/announcement.php?f=154]

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Part of me thinks that they intentionly put up that info so they could do a PR stunt when they removed it. But even Ubisoft isn't that bad.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Gearhead mk2 said:
Part of me thinks that they intentionly put up that info so they could do a PR stunt when they removed it. But even Ubisoft isn't that bad.
Not bad enough to aim for it, but certainly stupid enough to fall into it.

Says alot about Ubisoft, when you think about it.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Clearly they meant "campaign" in the "a systematic course of aggressive activities for some specific purpose" sense.

It was an artistic design decision, and consumers are wrong for making them change it.

Man, those gamers will whine about anything.

---------------------

Did I miss any corporate-apologist bullshit there?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
RvLeshrac said:
Clearly they meant "campaign" in the "a systematic course of aggressive activities for some specific purpose" sense.

It was an artistic design decision, and consumers are wrong for making them change it.

---------------------

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Any line with the word "entitlement" in it.

It doesn't bother me because I don't play _________.

RvLeshrac

This is a Forum Title.
Oct 2, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
RvLeshrac said:

---------------------

If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Any line with the word "entitlement" in it.

It doesn't bother me because I don't play _________.

Brilliant! - "I don't know why you people feel entitled to campaign co-op."

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Hmm, Ubisoft saying their customers are very important to them, yet they insist on using the worst kind of DRM and treats their customers like criminals and also saying that every PC gamer is a pirate. Yeah, Ubisoft, you have been insulting your customers for so long that I'm going to say that statement is 100% bullshit.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Yopaz said:
Hmm, Ubisoft saying their customers are very important to them, yet they insist on using the worst kind of DRM and treats their customers like criminals and also saying that every PC gamer is a pirate. Yeah, Ubisoft, you have been insulting your customers for so long that I'm going to say that statement is 100% bullshit.
Actually Ubisoft did remove the Always-On DRM from the PC GRFS (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/tom-clancys-ghost-recon-x/1222202p1.html) and they did decide to release it on PC anyway.

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Phishfood said:
Meh, haven't bought an ubisoft product since they went the way of always on DRM.
Ubisoft haven't added an Always-On DRM to Ghost Recon Future Soldier (PC). Instead they only require an one-time registration. (http://www.gamepur.com/news/7758-ghost-recon-future-soldier-no-always-online-drm-only-one-time-activation-ne.html)

Personally I think that as with any addict we should support them every step of the way towards putting away the DRM.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
A forum mod named EvilPixieGrr? I guess it's appropriate for Ubisoft. They could compete with EA/Activision on the evil scale if they had the size.

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Why is it so hard to be honest in the gaming business? Why is it so hard to be like CDPR and Valve? W H Y?!!!

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Savber said:
Why is it so hard to be honest in the gaming business? Why is it so hard to be like CDPR and Valve? W H Y?!!!
Could it be that we are dealing with HUGE corporations that unlike Valve needs to coordinate lots of offices filled with even more people (long story short, shit logistics)?

Valve is easier to deal with since it's only relatively few people who work together to make the thing fit together (fewer components usually mean fewer things to go wrong and when they do go wrong they are more easily limited and repaired).

Savber

Feb 17, 2011
Hornet0404 said:
Savber said:
Could it be that we are dealing with HUGE corporations that unlike Valve needs to coordinate lots of offices filled with even more people (long story short, shit logistics)?

Valve is easier to deal with since it's only relatively few people who work together to make the thing fit together (fewer components usually mean fewer things to go wrong and when they do go wrong they are more easily limited and repaired).
Bullcrap. A good business ethic in a company does not depend on the size of the company. Sure it might be harder to work out but size is also not an excuse for dishonesty. Logistics is not the source for false marketing, crap customer services, and blatant lies (like in the case with Activision and the CoD fiasco).

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
Savber said:
Hornet0404 said:
Savber said:

Bullcrap. A good business ethic in a company does not depend on the size of the company. Sure it might be harder to work out but size is also not an excuse for dishonesty. Logistics is not the source for false marketing, crap customer services, and blatant lies (like in the case with Activision and the CoD fiasco).
I'm just saying that this is what may have happened here.

Logistical problems coupled with communication issues.

But I may be wrong. I don't work with any of those companies so I have fuck-all idea of what happens at their meetings (BTW, I'm talking exclusively about THIS Ubi affair).

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
It's kind of sad how much bullshit goes on in this community (gaming as a whole). If people aren't crying, they're accusing others of being fanboys and apologists.

Can we go back to the time when we just play the fucking games?

Namehere

Forum Title
May 6, 2012
WOW! Flash backs to Steam retailing Red Orchestra 2 or what? I picked that game up on Christmas with a buddy hoping to get in some multi-player co-op action and... not happening! No refund was offered. And what do you do when the problem was Steam to begin with, as I understand it? Not only is the industry strolling down a fiery lane better known to some as hell, but to make matters worse its communications lines between publishers and distributors seems to have gone on ahead of them. There are only two reasons this could be; one being that they have shitty communications lines, the other being that someone's holding things back, usually for a contractual dance of the damned. Either way, it was bad enough when they were lying badly to their customers. Its ridiculous now that they've adopted the CIA technique of plausible deniability. Who the hell knows whose screwing up, but someone really is these days.

Buying a new game looks more and more like gambling. Roll the dice and hope for the best.