Metal Band Spills the Beans on Saints Row PSP

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Metal Band Spills the Beans on Saints Row PSP

Saints Row is coming to PSP. Wait, you didn't know that? You clearly aren't reading the newsletter for Swedish prog metal band Opeth.

Well this is one of the more obscure ways for info about the existence of a game to leak that I've seen in at least a month. Popular Swedish progressive metal band on their official site about a Saints Row game on the PSP by dishing about how their song "The Lotus Eater [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth]" is in the game.

"We may not like playing video games all that much but we do like it when our music is featured on them," the band declared with unabashed smugness yesterday. "Makes us a bit proud even when it's a game as big as Saints Row for the PSP and even prouder when the nice developer people show excellent taste by picking 'The Lotus Eater' for it."

Opeth isn't the only metal-related source of confirmation for Saints Row PSP, either. As Shacknews [http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/59579] sniffed out, metal music publisher Magic Arts Publishing lists "Saints Row PSP" as one of their licensees. Magic Arts Publishing's song "The Agony Scene" was apparently in Saints Row 2.

So, Saints Row on PSP. Open-world games do work on the console, as Grand Theft Auto Vice/Liberty City Stories proved, and more Saints Row should be a good thing. According to Opeth, the game will be released around March next year. Can't wait to drive septic tank trunks and toss old people off rooftops to a soundtrack of eight-minute-plus-long prog metal epics.

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Popular Swedish progressive metal band Opeth [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opeth] (any fans here?)
*Raises hand*
Not a major fan, but I like a lot of their stuff.

And Saints Row on PSP? Sounds awesome.

TheTygerfire

Jun 26, 2008
They'd better not screw up the controls.

....also I should get a PSP...wait, how much are they? Still too much. Make it $20 and maybe it'll be worth it.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
Hell yeah I'm a fan! seen my avatar anybody?

also, fine choice of song. it's epic, like 9 minutes long, though no doubt they'll shorten it for the game...

also also (wik), i always thought opeth would go great in a dune game (or movie). Remake of dune 2 anybody?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Dang, the PSP is getting a lot of games as of late. Assasin's Creed 2, Resident Evil, Saints Row, Grand Turismo, ect... feels like a good day to be a PSP owner.

7ru7h

Jul 8, 2009
Saw this earlier and loled... you'd think they would check when they can talk about this, but oh well...

TheTygerfire said:
....also I should get a PSP...wait, how much are they? Still too much. Make it $20 and maybe it'll be worth it.
Hell, you can get one used for under $100, and it is totally worth it... I paid a little more than that, but the homebrew apps are totally worth buying a psp

chuckman1

Cool
Jan 15, 2009
This sounds like the equivalent of Grand Theft Auto San Andreas Stories.
I'll be looking forward to this.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Although I'm not a fan of such games, this is still great news. These past few months, Sony has just been blind siding PSP users with a fuck ton of games and I couldn't be happier. The only thing that would make these announcements more complete would be if they brought DMC PSP back from the dead and announced a Ninja Gaiden game. I hope this game turns out good for SR fans, definitely would be a good thing to have these types of sandbox games on the go, lots of potential.

Pimppeter2

Dec 31, 2008
Did you notice that inbetween Gta: Sand andreas(good) and Gta Iv(dissapointment) there where psp games. I'm prettu sure that means Saints row 2(good) and Saints row 3(dissapointmeny)

If only I wasn't such a party pooper

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
JimmyBassatti said:
Keane Ng said:
Big ol' Snip
Is it just going to be a re-release of Saints Row 2, but on the PSP, or is it going to be an entirely different game? I got mixed information from what I read :S
We don't know yet. But the fact that it has new music might mean it's a new game? We'll have to wait and see.