What Ethnic Group Will Replace Nazis?

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
What Ethnic Group Will Replace Nazis?

Yahtzee goes down the list of possible antagonists for upcoming games.

Read Full Article

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Draconalis said:
My vote goes to the Amish.
At least there'd be no forum backlash.

I'm sure their dating sites [http://amish-online-dating.com/] would be abuzz with anger, though.

JSW

Oct 7, 2009
The executives of whatever company is publishing the game in question.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
The Mongols were actually pretty cool. They conquered bloodily and horribly, but in their empire shit was awesome. There was absolute religious freedom and it was a very secure place. It was said that a man could walk from one end of the empire to the other with a plate of gold on his head and never risk being robbed.

That security was a enormous boost for land-based trading routes, which lead to great economic growth for everyone, etc.

TL;DR Mongols hardly that bad, certainly not on par with the Nazis.

Bato

Oct 18, 2009
I'm just waiting for the days when a UK Developer makes a game that does nothing but shoot Irish and Scottish people.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
1 Million Moms. Then again, there are only around twelve members of that group, so it'd be a really short game.

Soviet Steve

May 23, 2009
Nazis aren't an ethnic group they're a political group :V

Also all Danes are Viking warriors still and we routinely raid Britain, we're just stealthy now. Thank Odin for the cardboard box.

TheYeIIowDucK

Mar 22, 2011
Ekonk said:
The Mongols were actually pretty cool. They conquered bloodily and horribly, but in their empire shit was awesome. There was absolute religious freedom and it was a very secure place. It was said that a man could walk from one end of the empire to the other with a plate of gold on his head and never risk being robbed.

That security was a enormous boost for land-based trading routes, which lead to great economic growth for everyone, etc.

Someone's been watching Crash Course.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Bato said:
I'm just waiting for the days when a UK Developer makes a game that does nothing but shoot Irish and Scottish people.
If I don't get to force at least one Welsh person to make sheep noises at gunpoint, then I'm calling bullshit. :p

Panayjon

Aug 12, 2008
TheYeIIowDucK said:
Ekonk said:

Someone's been watching Crash Course.
Pretty much what I was thinking too :p

Which is why I'm sad you didn't link it too. You must shill and share things you like, its modern day marketing.

Ooh! Marketers! I'm sure most people wouldn't be bothered by vilifying them. What if the real power behind the world was marketing?!

http://youtu.be/szxPar0BcMo

bificommander

Apr 19, 2010
rollerfox88 said:
Why not sex offenders? Noone likes them.

The difficulty would be explaining why there is such a large confederation of sex offenders opposing you I guess...
Oh, that shouldn't be a problem. Rainbow Six Vegas got away with a terrorist cell having enough trained and armed commandos to take on the entire Las Vegas Police Department and a good chuck of the National Guard as a diversion for their real plan of brute-force assaulting a secret base.

And I'm of the opinion we should have more games where you play as the PMC. It makes for a nice, morally dubious protagonist, give you some possible moral choices, you can depict any conflict without making it seem you're glorifying one nation (i.e. the US) while demonizing the other (i.e. Russian), and most importantly for a game, you'd have some actual justification as to why you're going in with a small team or are unlocking more weapons as the game progresses. You need to make money on these missions. And we're done with Yathzee's problem with Modern Shooter that you're playing as a member of the all-powerful US army with hideous amounts of military hardware at its disposal, and yet you're constantly portrayed as the underdog before a huge swarm of russians or generic middle eastern baddies. I mean, the latter could be credible threats if we had to simulate making patrols day after day with no enemy in sight until they attack with IEDs, but that'd make for a pretty unpleasant game to play.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
Istvan said:
Nazis aren't an ethnic group they're a political group :V

Also all Danes are Viking warriors still and we routinely raid Britain, we're just stealthy now. Thank Odin for the cardboard box.
Actually, politics can be part of ethnicity. Common culture, language, religion (and with it also ideologies) and common descent can all contribute to the establishment of an ethnicity.

Especially if the political beliefs lead to them seperating themselves from people with other idealogies. If they can keep that up for more than a generation and sustain it they are an ethnicity.

The English seem a good target. Maybe in Argentina they are the antagonist already in some games? Or some big reenactment of Hastings in 2066. Although they have been the big bad guys before: The Patriot, so that might get a bit old too. And I wonder what Assassin's Creed 3 is up to in that department.

Domoslaf

Nov 10, 2009
Ekonk said:
Life was also pretty sweet for Germans in Nazi Germany, that's just how it is when you're at the correct end of the unstoppable war machine.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Unfortunately, ancient people can't get mowed down by machine gun fire. Unless the game in question happens to be about a time machine of sorts.

Why not simply set it in the future and have the enemy be France or Poland? Afterall, a nation's morals can greatly change across the ages, so we can use that as an excuse.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Simple, the French.

Honestly I've gotten tired of killing Nazis because in the end I like the Germans, well the generations since then at least. But as for the French, I don't think there's been a time in the world anyone has ever liked them. They can be more smug than the English, more harsh than the Germans, and bigger assholes than the Americans. I really think they can be the perfect villains, and a delight to murder in the masses. But then again there's that whole surrendering thing they're known for, with that I say have it take place in Napoleonic Era when they supposedly had a lot more balls and it'll be perfect...^^