Shortcut to Understanding

itezel2

Mar 17, 2011
Very good article man!
You should have linked the game, but whatever i found it, thanks!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
That was interesting. If not social issues, devs should at least try to weave their culture into their work. Just look at the STALKER games with their distinctive East European settings.

ischmalud

Feb 5, 2011
you know i try to be honest since thats what the escapist is to me - gamers being honest. im not a fan of a lot of things that "israel" the country does but just like i dont like a lot of things that other countrys as "a whole" do this shows that there is a lot of different other layers living in said countries that got very different issues and are as a whole much more approachable even to someone like myself who is opposed to said country as such (actaully for other reasons than ppl might think, but i wont get into that because thats not what this piece is about)

overall great work mate

Isch

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Raiyan 1.0 said:
That was interesting. If not social issues, devs should at least try to weave their culture into their work. Just look at the STALKER games with their distinctive East European settings.
It's because STALKER was in bleedin' Russia (Well, Ukraine, but for fuck's sake the novel was in Russia and I will stick to it).

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
I can say with 100% confidence that there is a 0% chance I would have known anything about this game, or its context, if you hadn't shared this with us. For that alone, I thank you!

As to the broader subject of culturally-relevant gaming, I wish we saw more of it here in the States. The best we get is an update to our "Medal of Duty: Future Clancy" games when there's a new military action somewhere on the globe...

So rarely do we get games that deal with topics of cultural significance. Our culture is currently spending more than a little energy commenting on games, and we (as gamers) try to shout back, but I don't think we'll get anywhere until games themselves join in on the commentary.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
TheIronRuler said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
It's because STALKER was in bleedin' Russia (Well, Ukraine, but for fuck's sake the novel was in Russia and I will stick to it).
I'm sorry, I didn't get you. I was saying that the Eastern European devs managed to weave in their myths and culture in their game, resulting in something that was unique.