Terrible Things Promised For Metro: Last Light

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Terrible Things Promised For Metro: Last Light

THQ says Metro: Last Light will be a grueling, frightening experience - but not on the Wii U.

Metro 2033 [http://www.amazon.com/THQ-40470Metro-2033-Metro-Download/dp/B0047T7UE4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338343392&sr=8-1] was not a pleasant experience, which is of course what made it so awesome. But when the sequel was confirmed, some fans of the game - including me - worried that 4A Games and THQ would soften it up in an attempt to attract a bigger, more mainstream audience. After all, the idea of battling nigh-indestructible mutant gorillas with an air-powered pellet gun and two minutes of oxygen isn't the sort of thing that screams "blockbuster hit" for a lot of people.

But according to Huw Beynon, THQ's head of global communications, there's no need to worry. "We want the player to feel threatened by the environment and the foes that they face," he told VG247. "We want them to wonder whether they're equipped to deal with what they're going to face out there; so, you should feel scared that you may not have enough resources to make it to the end of the level, but more immediately, you'll be wondering whether you have enough equipment to make it through the next few seconds."

[gallery=731]

It sounds horrible, but that just means that the development team is on the right track, and the handful of new screens released to Facebook [https://www.facebook.com/MetroVideoGame] look absolutely gorgeous, too. Unfortunately for gamers anxious to see how Last Light fares on Nintendo's upcoming Wii U, that's not going to happen - at least not right away. Nintendo's in-development console was included among the development platforms when the game was originally announced, but THQ Global Brand Manager Mark Madsen told Digital Spy that plan has changed.

"Not at the moment, it's not in development," he said. "If it does happen, it won't sim-ship with the other SKUs, but if the opportunity arises we'll take a look at it."

Metro: Last Light [http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Last-Light-Pc/dp/B0053BSMPQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1338343392&sr=8-4] is scheduled to come out in early 2013 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Sources: Digital Spy [http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/29/living-on-a-prayer-metro-last-light-in-the-flesh/]

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Interesting... I have to wonder what changed to halt the development of the WiiU version. With the production problem rumors as well as fairly conflicting reports on power, I have to wonder if it's one of those aspects that drew it away. Or perhaps they couldn't think of a way to really work with the Wii U controller. It's all just guesswork of course, as it will likely stay until we see the Wii U in action.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed Metro 2033. Curious if the ending from Metro 2033 will have any impact on Last Light. According to the Wiki, they'll use the 'bad' ending... which is too bad really.

Doom-Slayer

Ooooh...I has custom title.
Jul 18, 2009
Kapol said:
Interesting... I have to wonder what changed to halt the development of the WiiU version. With the production problem rumors as well as fairly conflicting reports on power, I have to wonder if it's one of those aspects that drew it away. Or perhaps they couldn't think of a way to really work with the Wii U controller. It's all just guesswork of course, as it will likely stay until we see the Wii U in action.

In any case, I'm looking forward to this. I enjoyed Metro 2033. Curious if the ending from Metro 2033 will have any impact on Last Light. According to the Wiki, they'll use the 'bad' ending... which is too bad really.
Its kind of the point :) It goes along with the book after all, or at least Metro2033 did(mostly), and Last Light is going to be their own story.

The one thing I'm most pleased about is that they've said they recognized the main problems with the original game, ie the AI and a few other things, and are aiming to fix them.

Its really looking like that "more of the same but better" kind of game, which is perfectly all right with me.

Spoiler for how the book ends if you are curious.
The book ends with both game endings basically. He realizes the Dark Ones are trying to help, but only after the missles have launched, and has to watch the hive being destroyed while they are speaking to him.

A_Parked_Car

Oct 30, 2009
I thought Metro 2033 was a really great game with a few annoying issues. From what I have been hearing so far Metro Last Light will be striving to fix these and add even more depth to the mix. I'm certainly on board for this plan.

Broken Blade

Nov 29, 2007
I'm sorry to say, I only learned of the Metro series a few days ago, with the really cool trailer they had on YouTube. I've been thinking about finding a copy of Metro 2033 and trying it out for myself, but I'm still kind of on the fence. It seems that people liked it, though, is that true? Would any of you recommend it to someone who, say, has never really played much into survival horror or anything in the vein of the Fallout franchise?

AJax_21

May 6, 2011
Broken Blade said:
I'm sorry to say, I only learned of the Metro series a few days ago, with the really cool trailer they had on YouTube. I've been thinking about finding a copy of Metro 2033 and trying it out for myself, but I'm still kind of on the fence. It seems that people liked it, though, is that true? Would any of you recommend it to someone who, say, has never really played much into survival horror or anything in the vein of the Fallout franchise?
If you liked the pacing of Half-Life 2 and the atmosphere of STALKER, get this. It doesn't really have to do a lot with Fallout 3 in terms of gameplay. It's more linear and scripted, it doesn't have RPG elements but some of your actions can influence the ending. The Stealth system is very "love it or hate it" affair since its extremely punishing if you get caught. But yeah, get it on PC. Best version to go with if you have a more than capable rig.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Broken Blade said:
Metro is very linear, and it's also pretty tough, but it's one of the finest post-apocalyptic settings I've ever experienced, and a tremendous departure from conventional shooters. If you're not straitjacketed into the run-and-gun approach to videogame heroism promoted by shit like Call of Duty, then I cannot recommend Metro 2033 enough. It's just that good.

One caveat, though: play the PC version if you can. Based on what I've heard from pretty much everyone who's played the game, the 360 edition suffers from a far greater number of issues of various sorts than the PC version. (Although that could also just be a reflection of the difference between playing with a mouse/keyboard and a controller.)

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes because that's why everyone buys a handheld: to play scary, grueling games.
What about this has to do with a handheld? It even says the platforms it's being released for at the end of the article. PC, 360 and PS3.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
Broken Blade said:
I recommend getting it on steam or PC mainly due to lower price, and better quality overall (and the KB+M for FPS game creed - I still don't get how can people play FPS with analog sticks bleh). Although in my opinion the game deserves more credit than discounted sales! The atmosphere was so good, and as many other have pointed out it may have been linear, but to me it was very novel. Sure it's not a free roam or anything like that, but that allows it to have a stronger storytelling focus.

Definitely give it a shot!

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Frostbite3789 said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Yes because that's why everyone buys a handheld: to play scary, grueling games.
What about this has to do with a handheld? It even says the platforms it's being released for at the end of the article. PC, 360 and PS3.
Umm did you not see the tag line?
"THQ says Metro: Last Light will be a grueling, frightening experience - but not on the Wii U."

That one?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Maybe this one wont inexplicably rape my system, and fix a few gameplay annoyances.

Jodan

Mar 18, 2009
sweet i cant wait metro 2033 was scary because there was a looming threat off monsters which you werent sure you could take on even one every time you look at your inventory because you just used up everyting trying too kill the last baddy which you ended up hiding from and then... artyom starts sucking for air, and you have no idea what those things are but there taking to you and ... i loved it bring on some more

RoyalWelsh

Feb 14, 2010
I rather enjoyed Metro 2033, despite it's faults. This though...wow, looks freakin' amazing, can't wait.

Baron von Blitztank

May 7, 2010
Absolutely adored Metro 2033 so I'll definitely be picking this one up.
Hope the PS3 port turns out well, the last game pretty much broke my rig and it feels like it's been on life support since, just barely being able to run Serious Sam 3 and the Mass Effect 3 demo. It'll still be a long time until I'll be able to upgrade/replace it so here's hoping for a decent port.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
Good fuck the Wii-U. Really looking forward to Metro though, the first game was excellent. Hope the outside environment opens up a little, otherwise pretty damn excited for this.