Dragon Commander Screens Light Up the Sky

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dragon Commander Screens Light Up the Sky

Sometimes, all you really need from life is a dragon with a rocket pack strapped to its back.

announcement [http://www.larian.com/dragoncommander.php] last summer, is an RTS/RPG hybrid set in the distant past of Larian's Divinity universe, when the famed Dragon Knights were at the height of their power. Players will step into the role of a young Dragon Knight who must unite the nations of Rivellon and lead them to war against the evil Empress Aurora.

[gallery=733]

It sounds like a fairly straightforward setup, but bear in mind that this isn't a game about run-of-the-mill dragons - it's about dragons with frikkin' jet engines strapped to their backs. Players will deploy and command their units in battle, but can also jump in to the thick of the action and use their "dragon powers" to personally lead the troops to victory. Research and kingdom management will figure prominently, as you'd expect from an RTS, but some interesting political decisions on topics ranging from the regulation of magic and fishing rights for the undead to euthanasia and same-sex relationships will also have to be made, each of which will have an impact on your empire and its relations with other races.

Dragon Commander will offer both a story-based single-player campaign as well as co-op and PvP multiplayer for up to four players, and the music, like all good Divinity games, is being made by the inestimable Kirill Pokrovsky.

It's an oddball game, no question, and the odds of overreach look high, but I love the setting and the neo-Victorian steampunk visual style. Even if it winds up "flawed" in that charming, uniquely European style, it could be one of the most interesting strategy games to come along in years. Divinity: Dragon Commander is currently scheduled to come out in early 2013 for the PC and Mac.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Well, from the screens i see the dragons only differential point is thier jet packs. And thats been done already, and by Terry Pratchett no less.

Anyway i am a sucker for dragons, so ill keep an eye on it.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Not sure if I like the card thing, cards always seem to make something needlessly complicated. Why can't I just have a nice game where I fly around as a dragon blowing stuff up?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
gigastar said:
Well, from the screens i see the dragons only differential point is thier jet packs. And thats been done already, and by Terry Pratchett no less.

Well as I remember his dragons don't wear jetpacks, but some of them kinda are jet packs.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Worgen said:
gigastar said:

Well as I remember his dragons don't wear jetpacks, but some of them kinda are jet packs.
You remember correctly, in Guards! Guards! one of the swamp dragons that Sybil bred had stunted wings, late in the book said dragon remedied this by eating lots of oil-based products, then rearranging its insides so they would function as a jet. Its stunted wings then became steering fins.

Also, in a non-Discworld book, Strata, dragons appeared that had gills to use as jetpacks.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
gigastar said:
Worgen said:
gigastar said:

You remember correctly, in Guards! Guards! one of the swamp dragons that Sybil bred had stunted wings, late in the book said dragon remedied this by eating lots of oil-based products, then rearranging its insides so they would function as a jet. Its stunted wings then became steering fins.

Also, in a non-Discworld book, Strata, dragons appeared that had gills to use as jetpacks.
Plus in the last hero, they used dragons to fly a "space" ship thing.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Well, I do feel that there's a distinct shortage of games that combine RTS commanding elements with actually being the commander who's in the thick of the battle with his troops, and Divinity II: Dragon Knight Saga was pretty decent, so count me interested in this.

EDIT: Also, just a few hours ago I said
shrekfan246 said:
I want more steampunk games to be made.
So... hurrah?

ScruffyMcBalls

Apr 16, 2012
They're never gonna make another Divine Divinity sequel are they? *Sigh* at least this looks awesome in that "cracktastic" kind of way. I'll buy it, that's for sure since I've been cursed in much the same way Final Fantasy fans are.