It's Leisure Suit Larry vs. Sam Suede on Kickstarter

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
It's Leisure Suit Larry vs. Sam Suede on Kickstarter

Leisure Suit Larry creator Al Lowe wants Sam Suede off Kickstarter.

About seven years ago, Leisure Suit Larry mastermind Al Lowe hooked up with lesser-known developer Ken Wegrzyn to work on a game called Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure. The parallels between the two games are obvious, from the names of the lead characters to the Sam Suede subtitle: "A game that's just hard enough."

For whatever reason, the project never went anywhere and Lowe moved on to other things, specifically the taking his own crack at Kickstarter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117075-Leisure-Suit-Larry-Kickstarter-Has-a-Happy-Ending], seeking $500,000 for the development of Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure - coincidentally or not, the same target Replay set for Leisure Suit Larry - and Lowe apparently isn't too happy about it.

The sticking point is the heavy use of Lowe's name and image in conjunction with the game. The very first line in the description says, "Al Lowe & Ken Wegrzyn present: Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure," and the first image is not from the game, but is instead a caricature of Lowe in a suit. He's also listed first among the three principles responsible for the game, ahead of Wegrzyn and Steve Ince. But Replay Games chief Paul Trowe says Lowe's image is being used without permission and that his participation in the project has been misrepresented.

"I think the blatant misuse of the Leisure Suit Larry name and copyrighted material shows clear disregard for copyright law," he told VentureBeat. "To piggyback on someone else's success is not only rude but also illegal. Those who continue with this will be pursued to the fullest extent of the law. We are suing today."

Wisecrack countered by stating that Lowe did in fact work on the game and that references to the Leisure Suit Larry series "come directly from Mr. Lowe's website with his permission pursuant to a written agreement, and constitute de minimis and fair uses under applicable law."

"The references to Al Lowe's extensive work with Ken Wegrzyn on the design of Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure is truthfully stated and a historical fact," it said. "The original design and prototyping have been completed by Al and Ken, as well as a written agreement with Al Lowe for the Sam Suede in Undercover Exposure Kickstarter with Wisecrack Games."

The top-tier reward for Sam Suede supporters on Kickstarter is actually called the "Al Lowe Edition," which includes admission to a concert featuring Lowe performing with Seattle jazz band MOJO and dinner with Lowe and Wegrzyn. It costs $10,000.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2012/05/30/leisure-suit-larry-creator-wants-infringing-kickstarter-campaign-taken-down-exclusive/]

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Roper said:
I guess you can say that what Ken Wegrzyn did was a little Lowe.
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

OT: That seems a bit douchey right? Even if he had magical written paperwork granting him permission, how could he promise a dinner and shit like that? Cause I know there's no paperwork for that.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Well that's a little weird.

Wisecrack: Pledge $10k and come to a private concert and dinner with Al Lowe!

Al Lowe: Uh- no.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
UnderGlass said:
Well that's a little weird.

Wisecrack: Pledge $10k and come to a private concert and dinner with Al Lowe!

Al Lowe: Uh- no.
Well, the impression I'm getting is that this is sort of evidence that Al Lowe approved of the project. The issue is that he's a "name" in video game design and another company holding rights to some of his work doesn't like the idea that he will be promoting rival projects.

It will be interesting to see what happens, though it will be hilarious if it turns out like you suggest.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
I wonder if this is how real games get okied? Like EA hears that Activision is starting a new multi-player fantasy FPS so they green light something that sounds as close as possible to what their competition has green lighted? (or vice-versa)

Interesting

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
This isn't the type of dick move I expected from Sam Suede.
I'm sorry, but for the first time in... Ever.. You have been outpunned :(

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
First off, these guys shouldn't have promised a dinner date with Al Lowe. But if they can get their story straight I'm ultimately way more interested in this original project than yet another LSL 1 remake. It's high time we get some middlebrow sleaze back into PC gaming.

Edit: And after doing a bit more research on what exactly they're presenting, I'm beginning to get a Box Office Bust feeling. Pro tip: if you want to sell your potential investors on the humor of your franchise you have to actually be funny, not just tell them you're funny. Wind taken out of sails.