The Week in Review

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
The Week in Review

The Escapist might be getting old but our news sure isn't, so grab yourself a slice of birthday cake, and enjoy this round up of the week's top stories.

Teen in Running for Idiot of the Year Award
It's not often that I find myself going to the special mental vault I have to keep memes in and pull out the 'Picard Face Palm JPEG' to view with my mind's eye, but sometimes there's nothing else you can do. A young World of Warcraft player from Indiana announced in the game's chat that he planned to hijack a plane and hurt as many people as possible, which is the equivalent of shouting it out in a large park where all the park rangers know your name and address. The teenage buffoon tried to claim that his account had been hacked, but that didn't stop the FBI from seizing his computer, which means that at least this story kind of has a happy ending. (link [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/93184-WoW-Player-Threatens-to-Hijack-Plane])

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
I still don't see the purpose of the Vitality Sensor. I'm not going to lie, that is certainly impressive and all. But as we have already learned from the Dreamcast, being ahead of your time doesen't necessarily mean it's going to be a smash-hit. But I'll wait for it to develop further before I start to throw my opinions at it.

Sneaky Paladin

Jan 21, 2009
The Escapist really should do a week wrap up for reviews it feels right somehow.

About the Zelda timeline part. It just doesn't feel right knowing that every couple of years ganon rises and steals something from or the princess herself who is ALWAYS named zelda and is ALWAYS defeated by a kid dressed in green. Kinda uncanny

Markness

Apr 23, 2008
"A tactic guaranteed to bear fruit." The amount of sarcasm in this statement is staggering. I commend you.

This is a handy little page.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Oh Nintendo...your cruelty knows no bounds...

The "special death endings" that BioWare has planned sounds cool. Too many games are doing "the hero stands triumphant" bit, but I gotta say, what BioWare is doing is hardly original...

There is a long list of games but I think the last one to do it was one of the ending options in Silent Hill: Homecoming...

Cpt_Oblivious

Not Dead Yet
Jan 7, 2009
Ooh. i didn't see the Mass Effect 2 or Zelda stuff. That's why I love this Week in Review thing, I can catch up without going through every newspost.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
Zeeky_Santos said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
I still don't see the purpose of the Vitality Sensor.
They're bringing it in as a precursor to their next game: Hospital bed, taking home care to a whole new level.
There's a new dawn a'comin, one where the Wii will work as any surgical tool you need it to.

Frank_Sinatra_

Digs Giant Robots
Dec 30, 2008
*nom nom nom*
Mmmm... Bite sized chunks.
With the CoD: MW2 Prestige Edition, yes it may be ridiculous but it's only $150.
[small]Yes I did buy it.[/small]

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
nilcypher said:
Teen in Running for Idiot of the Year Award
That has just made not just my day, but my life.

But seriously, that guy was an idiot. Plain and simple.

xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
They're bringing it in as a precursor to their next game: Hospital bed, taking home care to a whole new level.
There's a new dawn a'comin, one where the Wii will work as any surgical tool you need it to.
Now I really want to see the Wii Defibrillator [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defibrillation].

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
o0pwnman0o said:
The Escapist really should do a week wrap up for reviews it feels right somehow.
I would give it a "Rent".

The vitality sensor could have an interesting application in stealth games, the faster your pulse, the louder your breathing, the more likely you'll be detected. Sadly, this will never happen.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
Zombie_Fish said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Zeeky_Santos said:
xxhazyshadowsxx said:
Now I really want to see the Wii Defibrillator [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defibrillation].
We're almost there. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_external_defibrillator] Actually, we have one of those gadgets in the office lunchroom in case the angina-burger-with-infarctofries Unhappy Meal kicks in on someone. (Also, one of our clients deals in AEDs among other stuff.) All we have to do is airbrush one in white and grey...

-- Steve

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Anton P. Nym said:
We're almost there. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automated_external_defibrillator] Actually, we have one of those gadgets in the office lunchroom in case the angina-burger-with-infarctofries Unhappy Meal kicks in on someone. (Also, one of our clients deals in AEDs among other stuff.) All we have to do is airbrush one in white and grey...

-- Steve
And then when Nintendo make a version of it (Knowing the amount of stuff on the Wii they will make one sometime) we can claim royalties and make millions. I like it!

Say Anything

Jan 23, 2008
o0pwnman0o said:
That's actually a brilliant idea, seeing as I don't usually find myself reading the reviews. If they had a page full of all of the week's games with a summary for each, that'd be really helppul.

super_smash_jesus

Dec 11, 2007
I think the vitality sensor could have a home in horror/survival games. The faster your pulse, or the more scared you are, the more blurred vision, or less peripheral view. Or like it was said above, the faster your pulse in a stealth game, the louder your character is and thus easier to spot.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
super_smash_jesus said:
I think the vitality sensor could have a home in horror/survival games. The faster your pulse, or the more scared you are, the more blurred vision, or less peripheral view. Or like it was said above, the faster your pulse in a stealth game, the louder your character is and thus easier to spot.
that would actually be cool.

Congrats on the best idea if heard for the vitality sensor.

zoozilla

Dec 3, 2007
super_smash_jesus said:
That would be very interesting indeed, though I'm almost sure that no developer is going to create a gameplay mechanic for a peripheral that (I'm guessing) almost no Wii owner will have.

Unless, of course, it's packed in with Wii Fit 2.

TalonsOfWar

Jul 1, 2009
the modern warfare special edition really its so stupid the nightvision goggles are like $60 and the game is $90 and so its like $150