Way Hay and Up the Dishonored E3 Trailer Rises

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Way Hay and Up the Dishonored E3 Trailer Rises

E3 isn't here yet, but that doesn't mean you can't look at the E3 trailer for Dishonored right here and now.

I suppose you can't blame Corvo for having a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Being framed for the murder of the empress, tossed into the dungeon and then turned into a supernatural assassin can have that effect on a guy. Full credit to him for doing his best to work through it, though. This is a man who's clearly not afraid to embrace his anger issues.

A lot of dudes get stabbed in this Dishonored E3 gameplay trailer and that's fine by me, but what I really dig is the setting. Arkane is pretty good at building highly explorable game worlds - Half-Life 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Messiah-Might-Magic-Pc/dp/B000FSQD9Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338564640&sr=8-2] veteran Viktor Antonov as visual design director, the potential for Dishonored to achieve great things is very high.

The open world stealth-action game Dishonored [http://www.amazon.com/Dishonored-Xbox-360/dp/B005C2D2MO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338564717&sr=8-1] comes out on October 9 in North America and October 12 in Europe for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

NooNameLeft

Sep 15, 2009
This really look like Dark Messiah and Bioshock had a psycho murderous baby. and thats totaly awesome imo!

Gabanuka

Oct 1, 2009
Its Half Life 3, and Bioshock, in a steampunk world, with creepy singing children.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Guys, this and Bioshock are completely different things. Dishonored is aiming for a Steampunk approach, while Bioshock was Decopunk, itself a sub genre of Dieselpunk.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Guys, this and Bioshock are completely different things. Dishonored is aiming for a Steampunk approach, while Bioshock was Decopunk, a sub genre of Dieselpunk.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If you are, I doubt anyone cares. It looks somewhat like Bioshock, regardless of what kind of punk it is.

OT: I continue to be interested in this. It would be nice to see a solid ten-minute chunk of gameplay.

The Pinray

Jul 21, 2011
Hmmm. It looks pretty okay. I don't know. I'd like to see some actual gameplay instead of murderous jump cuts before forming an opinion.

Loving the style, though. Very nice.

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
The Pinray said:
Hmmm. It looks pretty okay. I don't know. I'd like to see some actual gameplay instead of murderous jump cuts before forming an opinion.
Was my first thought as well. Too much stabbing, need more game.

Well my first thought was "Oh creepy children singing... that's original ¬¬"

Freechoice

Dec 6, 2010
Zhukov said:
Raiyan 1.0 said:
Guys, this and Bioshock are completely different things. Dishonored is aiming for a Steampunk approach, while Bioshock was Decopunk, a sub genre of Dieselpunk.
I can't tell if you're being serious or not.

If you are, I doubt anyone cares. It looks somewhat like Bioshock, regardless of what kind of punk it is.

OT: I continue to be interested in this. It would be nice to see a solid ten-minute chunk of gameplay.
Well I for one appreciate the pedantry. It's nice to see someone actually not be a dick about clarification. And I learned something today. All punk descends from cyberpunk.

Thank you, Raiyan.

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
still reckon it looks like half-life:steampunk edition. i suppose that makes sense considering the talent. still think its going to be deceptively linear but fun nonetheless.

also stabbing, stabbing is allllllways fun

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
It looks somewhat like Bioshock, regardless of what kind of punk it is.
I don't see how. Bioshock was clearly Art Deco. This is clearly inspired by the Victorian age, nothing like Bioshock's post-WW2 setting. If anything it has more in common with Bioshock: Infinite, but even that's pushing it.

That, and the gameplay is way more melee oriented with lots of opportunities for stealth. There's only a few magical abilities that, with a lot of imagination, you could call similar to plasmids.

Uber Evil

Mar 4, 2009
ramboondiea said:
still reckon it looks like half-life:steampunk edition. i suppose that makes sense considering the talent. still think its going to be deceptively linear but fun nonetheless.

also stabbing, stabbing is allllllways fun
It's not open world, the devs have said that. It has guys from the Thief game working on it, so I think that it will be open in the sense of those games.

Necron_warrior

OPPORTUNISTIC ANARCHIST
Mar 30, 2011
Cowabungaa said:
Zhukov said:
It looks somewhat like Bioshock, regardless of what kind of punk it is.
I don't see how. Bioshock was clearly Art Deco. This is clearly inspired by the Victorian age, nothing like Bioshock's post-WW2 setting. If anything it has more in common with Bioshock: Infinite, but even that's pushing it.

That, and the gameplay is way more melee oriented with lots of opportunities for stealth. There's only a few magical abilities that, with a lot of imagination, you could call similar to plasmids.
I don't think he means the aesthetics of it, more the engine graphics. To me, those faces and bodies look very Bioshock-y in terms of graphics.

OT: I like the idea, but seeing him in wide spaces makes it feel less assassin-y for me. I'll wait to see if the other gameplay trailers show off more the quiet sneakyness of it.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Can someone with better hearing than me please post the lyrics to the song in the trailer?

It reminds me of Bioshock too. I'm not saying it's a ripoff, it just has the elements of shooter + superpowers + strange new setting.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'm trying not to get too stoked for this, since Alan Wake didn't quite deliver.

However I am looking forward to it. A lot. I'll just try not to buy it on launch day and wait for a review or 2.

Susurrus

Nov 7, 2008
I'm engaged in a similar quest regarding lyrics. I THINK the first verse is:
"What shall we do with the drunken whaler"

The second verse.. I have very little idea. Actually, having watched the trailer. The second verse kicks in at the same time as an image of rats - "Feed him to the hungry rats for dinner"

Third verse - no idea until "and up she rises" which is fairly easy.

The final verse - Slice his skull with a rusty cleaver?