E3: Cortana Goes Bonkers in Halo 4

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
E3: Cortana Goes Bonkers in Halo 4

The Forerunners may be returning.

Microsoft kicked off its E3 2012 conference with the name that is synonymous with its Xbox console: Halo 4. Set a half-decade or so after the end of the Human-Covenant war, the UNSC sends a warship, now repurposed for peaceful purposes, to explore new worlds with humanity's best and brightest. Something goes terribly wrong, as something is wont to do.

Here's the trailer shown at Microsoft's press conference today at E3 2012:

[video=5829]

After being pulled through a vortex of sorts, the UNSC Infinity crash lands on a planet where - surprise, surprise - everyone's favorite Master Chief has apparently been chilling since the end of Halo 3. Once there, he finds Covenant patrols investigating the crash of the Infinity, but more significantly encounters a mysterious non-organic race.

Said non-organic race just may turn out to be the Forerunners that built the Halo rings in the first place. They have some nifty tricks that we haven't seen in the Halo series before, including tossing grenades back at the Chief and teleportation. Master Chief will also be able to use what seems like Forerunner weaponry, including a light-shotgun that vaporizes its targets.

However, it also seems as though the Chief's faithful AI companion Cortana is having a bad time of it. She's been in operation for 8 years, after all, and as she says herself, AIs begin to degrade after 7. The trailer ends with Cortana going berserk.

Halo 4 will hit shelves November 6th.

Check out the gameplay footage from the Microsoft press conference earlier today:

[video=5828]

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
I looks interesting. I really shouldn't have been surprised that Infinity would be involved in Halo 4, but I didn't see it coming.

monkeymo4d

Jan 22, 2012
Live action trailer followed by gameplay then followed by a trailer. Have to say 343 Im impressed :)

Full Trailer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N-CRrP9xjQ&list=PLE196726F02565118&index=1&feature=plcp

Bet microsoft sank a lot of money into this

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
Halo 4: proof positive the games industry will not innovate unless forced.

(Don't worry, we've got 2-3 more Halo games to look forward to by my estimation.)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Emiscary said:
Halo 4: proof positive the games industry will not innovate unless forced.

(Don't worry, we've got 2-3 more Halo games to look forward to by my estimation.)
No need to estimate, it's a trilogy :)

OT: I thought it looked very pretty, and actually surprisingly good.

GoddyofAus

Aug 3, 2010
To the surprise of noone, the conference was a tragic failure full of Kinect bullshit. Halo 4 was the only half decent thing shown.

"MS can get away with this because stupid morons bought into this gimmick" - random dude on GT.

3/10. What a joke. Too horrible conferences in consequtive years.

TheSapphireKnight

I hate Dire Wolves...
Dec 4, 2008
After seeing an up close still of that biped, ain't no god damn forerunner based on what I have read in the Forerunner saga. The warrior race was supposed to be ugly but they are till essentially similar to humans.

I will be very disappointed if Forerunners were suddenly an "Ancient Evil"

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
TheSapphireKnight said:
After seeing an up close still of that biped, ain't no god damn forerunner based on what I have read in the Forerunner saga. The warrior race was supposed to be ugly but they are till essentially similar to humans.

Well the ending is sort of confusing, an upside down Didatic symbol and also red and not blue. So maybe it's actually precursors who are using forerunner tech? Although it wouldn't make sense...

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

Well the ending is sort of confusing, an upside down Didatic symbol and also red and not blue. So maybe it's actually precursors who are using forerunner tech? Although it wouldn't make sense...
I asumed it wasn't the forerunenrs, but mediant bias or whatever it's name was.

superspartan004

Jul 3, 2009
new enemies, new gameplay mechanics, new weapons.

yeah that's completely unoriginal

that and there's a thread right now saying Halo 4 has made too many changes.

people on the Escapist are never satisfied, It's no wonder I never post here anymore.

Oh and the enemies are NOT Forerunners people, its not that hard to figure out

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

05-032 Mendicant Bias was destroyed at the Ark, well presumably and highly hinted at it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
TheSapphireKnight said:

Somehow I doubt that the Forerunners spread all over the galaxy and didn't find at least one hostile race.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Korten12 said:
imnotparanoid said:
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

05-032 Mendicant Bias was destroyed at the Ark, well presumably and highly hinted at it.
Ah fair enough, I just thought they had similar symbols.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
I won't buy it, but I will watch people play it on YouTube.

Halo has always fascinated me with its lore.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
imnotparanoid said:
Korten12 said:
imnotparanoid said:
Korten12 said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

Ah fair enough, I just thought they had similar symbols.
Yes it is similar, a mixture of that and this:

erttheking said:
TheSapphireKnight said:

Somehow I doubt that the Forerunners spread all over the galaxy and didn't find at least one hostile race.
Well the odd thing is that, they're using Forerunner based weapons, and aren't organic so they aren't natural...

I think it might be an experiment gone bad or maybe the Gravemind used Mecidant Bias to also indoctrinate other AI's.

Although my bet now is that Master Builder Faber is the villian, I just can't see the Didact being the villian. After being basically reborn through Bornstellar, the Didact has no reason to want to destory humanity. Hell he was against the creation of the Rings (although by a sort of ironic fate was the one who activated them in the end.)

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Wait, forerunners are VERY organic. They're kinda bird like to.

343, if you skullfuck everything we know about the lore just to make a quick buck (Halo reach) I will hunt you down.