E3 May Leave LA in 2013

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
E3 May Leave LA in 2013

Concerns about Los Angeles Convention Center renovations may force E3 to relocate in 2013.

The Electronic Entertainment Expo [http://www.e3expo.com/], AKA E3, is one of the "most lucrative" conventions to come to Los Angeles, which is really saying something given that L.A. is a pretty big place. It fills roughly 30,000 hotel rooms with more 45,000 attendees from around the world and generates $40 million in "direct spending" on things like food, cab fares, lodging and temporary construction. But in spite of its great value to the city, E3 may end up somewhere else in 2013.

The trouble is related to "uncertainties" surrounding the construction of Los Angeles Convention Center [http://www.farmersfield.com/] West Hall. The Entertainment Software Association is worried about how the construction will affect access to the convention center and whether there will be sufficient floor space available for exhibitors, and so it hasn't yet signed a contract for the 2013 edition of E3. It has, however, begun to look for backup plans.

"We're still in discussions with the city of Los Angeles, but we have a number of issues that still need to be resolved. If we can't resolve them, we are preparing to go elsewhere," ESA President Michael Gallagher said. "We love being in Los Angeles, but we also have a show to put on."

Executives "close to" the ESA said possible candidates for a relocation include San Francisco, New York, Chicago and New Orleans.

Source: Los Angeles Times [http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-e3-convention-may-leave-los-angeles-in-2013-20120603,0,2779571.story]

See all our coverage directly from the E3 2012 show floor. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/e3-2012]

porpoise hork

Fly Fatass!! Fly!!!
Dec 26, 2008
It would be nice to have it in different locations from time to time. There are plenty of locations that could easily handle E3's needs.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
Interesting to say the least. Of the four options listed, it seems like New York may not actually be the best place. Sure it's large enough to have everyone, but I would imagine it would be one of those things where schedules would need to be scheduled a lot earlier in advance. Finding the right center and hotels is one thing, making sure that both are in a reasonable distance is an entire task of it's own. It would suck to be late for a big conference because of transit problems or road congestion.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Or they could just, you know, NOT have a big all or nothing game conference next and let developers set their own schedules. Oh look at me asking the gaming industry to be reasonable.
You and I both know that isn't going to happen, sadly. Half the information presented at E3 ends up public knowledge anyway, regardless of if it was shown at the convention or not. Just seems like a big waste of money to me. Don't worry, I agree with you, man.

OT: I understand it's to get the word out, and that LA is a hotspot for big events, but this may be good for E3.

Some exposure in a different part of the country (or possibly even world) might bring in some fresh opinions.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I've been at the larger E3s in 2005-6. It may seem huge, but it not as big as some might think, the reason for LA it a central location for a ton of studios. San Diego, Seattle, or Austin may be good alternatives, I know they have large convention centers that can easily handle E3.

Austin may be to far and although a very large convention center, it harder for the ESA than the LA one for security purposes.

I've never been to the San Diego or Seattle, I just know about them through reputation alone.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Or they could just, you know, NOT have a big all or nothing game conference next and let developers set their own schedules. Oh look at me asking the gaming industry to be reasonable.
They tried in 2007-2008, make it more of a GDC, the studios didn't like it, the press didn't like it, and most of all it was a real let down for gamers.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
Baldr said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Or they could just, you know, NOT have a big all or nothing game Expo next year and let developers set their own schedules. Oh look at me asking the gaming industry to be reasonable.
They tried in 2007-2008, make it more of a GDC, the studios didn't like it, the press didn't like it, and most of all it was a real let down for gamers.
I'm not talking about making GDC, I'm talking about not making it the ONLY big chance to showcase their projects. If they must have expos at all lets at least make them quarterly so there's not so much god damned pressure to meet a completely arbitrary deadline.
Well this actually is only a fraction of game companies showcase at E3. A lot of studios do their own things and there are other shows: Tokyo Game Show, GDC, Pax, Blizzcon, and CES just to name a few.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Oh no! What will poor California do? I'm sick of the same people getting to go the same cons every year meanwhile 80% of people never get to attend even one big con. Move it to the central or southern US for once? Is that too much to ask?

Everything is either NY or CA and it's been old for years now.