Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre

IO Interactive says it wasn't trying to stir up controversy with last week's Hitman: Absolution trailer.

By now you've no doubt seen and probably formed an opinion about last week's trailer for Hitman: Absolution, but on the off-chance that you've missed it, it goes more or less like this: a group of smokin' hot nun assassins wearing light bondage undergarments attacks Agent 47 and he messes them up badly. Some people thought the video was silly, others found it offensive, and still more were offended by the apparently shabby treatment being given to their beloved Hitman franchise.

But Hitman studio IO Interactive apparently saw none of it coming. "We're sorry that we offended people - that was truly not the intention of the trailer," Game Director Tore Blystad told IGN. "We were surprised that it turned into such a huge topic. Something similar happened with our Sniper Challenge pre-order bonus... We just wanted to make something cool, it wasn't the intention to stir up anything."

The trailer is actually based on a level in the upcoming Hitman: Absolution called "Attack of the Saints," in which the Agency sends a team of female assassins to punch 47's ticket once and for all. As for why they're dressed like nuns, Blystad explained that it's a combination of the game's natural extremism and the influence of film directors like Quentin Tarantino and Robert Rodriguez.

"The grindhouse theme is something that we're using throughout the game," he said. "It tends more towards sixties exploitation movies - these were a fascination [for us] because they were so extreme."

I can buy Blystad's story that the trailer wasn't meant to be taken quite so seriously, but his statement that it wasn't intended to "provoke" people is nonsense. The specific purpose of promotional trailers is to inspire a response; otherwise, what's the point? I also have a hard time believing that nobody at IO saw any potential problems with the video. They aren't "real nuns" (or even real people) but given the relative immaturity and insecurity of the videogame industry, surely somebody, somewhere, must have paused for a moment to consider the implications of graphically wiping out a squad of Holy Sisters. Not that I'm suggesting the video shouldn't have been released, but claiming surprise over a not-entirely-positive reaction to it strikes me as just a tad disingenuous.

[video=5783]

Hitman: Absolution [http://www.amazon.com/Hitman-Absolution-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0K50U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1339084964&sr=8-2] comes out on November 12 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

Source: IGN [http://ca.ign.com/articles/2012/06/07/io-apologetic-over-hitman-trailer-controversy]

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
I don't see the issue with the nun outfits. That's a pretty good cover up.

But why they were dressed as strippers or whatever in order to assassinate someone is pretty dumb.

They should have pulled a Neo where they rip off the nun outfits and are just loaded up with weapons - and appropriate clothes for a gun fight.

But whatever.

Ayjona

Jul 14, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I also have a hard time believing that nobody at IO saw any potential problems with the video.
I do as well. But if it is indeed true, it might be indicative of an even greater problematic.

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Oh, they don't have to apologise. They just have to do better next time. I mean it's not like they were the first to do this kind of thing, or even the most offensive. Besides it isn't like they haven't done similar things in the past with nobody getting really mad. They probably did think that it would get some people upset, but I think because of how things have been before now none of them probably thought it was going to be this big.

That said, they should just not do this next time, and everyone will be happy. Well, most everyone anyway.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
Wolfram23 said:

But why they were dressed as strippers or whatever in order to assassinate someone is pretty dumb.

They should have pulled a Neo where they rip off the nun outfits and are just loaded up with weapons - and appropriate clothes for a gun fight.

But whatever.
This is the biggest issue I've had with the whole argument over the video. Everyone seems to be questioning "why were they dressed like that to assassinate someone?" yet no one questions "why is he wearing a formal suit to assassinate someone?". The answer to both questions is the same, but only one is being asked.

Side note: The sexy nun as killers/killers disguised as nuns or priests thing has been done so many damn times in cinema that it really shouldn't have even garnered any attention. This just goes to show how immature the gaming media is.

Bantis

Jan 27, 2009
Wolfram23 said:

Yeah, that was my reaction. I wasn't offended, I just rolled my eyes at the silliness of it. I didn't see the bondage look thing as anything but a blatant in your face attention grab. In the end I thought it took what could have been a cool, rough, violent scene and turned it into just another desperate look at me trailer...

Tomeran

Nov 17, 2011
Although I think it was a bit silly(the undergarments, not the nun outfits), and not really representive of the hitman series, I think this has been way overblown. Way worse things then this are done on a daily basis in the gaming industry and it doesnt recive an ounce of the attention this has gotten. A true example of making a chicken farm out of a feather, and just badly placed priorities.

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Hmmm that trailer was pretty awesome, I don't really see what the fuss is about. So they had nun/stripper outfits on? So what? They clearly weren't actual nuns, some people get far too worked up about things. I could quite happily go through a game shooting real nuns without any problems, just like I went through No Russian shooting everyone and throwing all my grenades in random directions without feeling bad about it, know why? Because it's a game and it shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
mindlesspuppet said:
Wolfram23 said:

But whatever.
This is the biggest issue I've had with the whole argument over the video. Everyone seems to be questioning "why were they dressed like that to assassinate someone?" yet no one questions "why is he wearing a formal suit to assassinate someone?". The answer to both questions is the same, but only one is being asked.

Side note: The sexy nun as killers/killers disguised as nuns or priests thing has been done so many damn times in cinema that it really shouldn't have even garnered any attention. This just goes to show how immature the gaming media is.
I would think the "sexy" nun outfit isn't so much a disguise as a distraction. Taking out a male target, who being male may be susceptible to a pair of tits or bare leg being just enough of a distraction to allow said female assassins to gain an edge over an otherwise deadly foe... That it didn't work and he didn't even bat an eye except to get the fuck out the way of the RPG is a testament to just how inhuman 47 still is. I feel the character didn't see a bunch of strippered up nuns with guns, but just another in a long series of PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL HIM. And he's already shown in the past to not really care one way or another about sexuality, he just does his job.

I swear these days people will go apeshit over anything just to have an issue to ***** about.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
amaranth_dru said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Wolfram23 said:

But whatever.

I would think the "sexy" nun outfit isn't so much a disguise as a distraction. Taking out a male target, who being male may be susceptible to a pair of tits or bare leg being just enough of a distraction to allow said female assassins to gain an edge over an otherwise deadly foe... That it didn't work and he didn't even bat an eye except to get the fuck out the way of the RPG is a testament to just how inhuman 47 still is. I feel the character didn't see a bunch of strippered up nuns with guns, but just another in a long series of PEOPLE TRYING TO KILL HIM. And he's already shown in the past to not really care one way or another about sexuality, he just does his job.

I swear these days people will go apeshit over anything just to have an issue to ***** about.
I am going to have to agree with you. I personally had no issue with the trailer (I just did not like it) but I really did not see anything sexist or all that shocking for that matter. Coupled with the idea that their garbs were designed to distract a male target made good sense (in a very silly sort of way), it is just pure fantasy.

The main thing I think people are reacting about though is the current portrayl of women in videogames and the perceived difficulty women have being gamers and such because what you saw tends to stray towards the norm instead of the exception and thus people let out a cry of frustration rather than true rage. Others just saw it as an opportunity to get mad. (Jeeze, I hope that makes sense)

Jack Rascal

May 16, 2011
When I saw the title "Hitman Studio Apologizes For Nun Massacre" I thought "Oh dear, did he go and kill nuns? I can see why that would upset people".

But then I watched the video. They have nothing to apologize for as no nuns where killed in this video. People are being oversensitive. I think killing strippers stressed as nuns who, after all, where there to kill him is miles away from killing Holy Sisters. I call self-defence.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
I don't see why there's a problem.

They weren't nuns obviously... nuns can't be that hot I mean... uh, nuns don't use machine guns, and uh, grenade launchers.

Captcha: nul points

NvrPhazed

Dec 8, 2010
I actually have two problems with this. First of all I think it is degrading to women and if it was supposed to be a parody, it did not come through because it seemed like it was all serious business. Secondly, I find it sacrilegious because having the sisters show up as nuns and take off their clothes to reveal stripper outfits upsets me as a christian. If they revealed that they were carrying appropriate clothing and weaponry for a fight, I wouldn't have as much problem. The sexy nun outfit, I believe, is an insult to my religion because nuns are some of the best human beings on this Earth and to show them as being sex fiends underneath it all shows a great disrespect for what they do. That is why I am angry people.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
I call back-pedalling on this one. Yeah you should apologize for the shitty trailer. Heck it wasn't even an original kind of shit which is even shittier. Now go back to your room. There is no church for you since you clearly lack self control of a decent human being.

capthca:ladies, first

Alright you are grounded too

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I have no problem with them being dressed like nuns. My problem begins when they take off the nun outfits. How are those outfits normal or practical in anyway? I don't care that he gunned down a group of women either. Just what they were wearing.