Molyneux's Curiosity Offers $77,800 DLC

Hevva

Shipwrecked, comatose, newsie
Aug 2, 2011
Molyneux's Curiosity Offers $77,800 DLC

Don't worry, you read that right. Seventy-seven thousand and eight hundred dollars.

Having recently quit Lionhead Studios [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/116189-Peter-Molyneux-Leaves-Lionhead] to found a new venture called 22Cans, legendary British game developer Peter Molyneux is on a mission to understand human behavior. This mission includes, it would seem, the creation of a one-off piece of DLC priced at $77,838 (£50,000) for his next game, social media "experiment" Curiosity.

Curiosity, gameplay-wise, is based on a single black cube placed in the middle of a bare room. Players will be asked to chip away at the cube, fracturing it. Fractures inflicted by other players will appear in tandem with those you inflict, with everyone working together to reveal the grand mystery at the heart of the cube.

Here's the catch: only the player who lands the last fracture before the cube cracks open will get to see what's inside. The number of fractures required to reach this point is known only to 22Cans, but is apparently huge. To up your chances of being the one to see the contents of the cube, you'll be able to purchase an iron chisel 10 times stronger than your normal one for 90 cents (59 pence) or a diamond chisel 100,000 times stronger than said basic chisel for the princely sum of $77,838 (£50,000). While iron chisels will be readily available, only one diamond chisel will be up for sale.

"It's an insane amount of money," says Molyneux. The aim of the diamond chisel is experimental: Can curiosity alone drive one player or a syndicate to spend that much money? "This is not a money-making exercise; it is a test about the psychology of monetization," he added.

There are many layers to Curiosity's experimental streak, including how the eventual seer-of-the-inside-of-the-cube will explain its "truly amazing, absolutely unique" contents to the world at large. "We will rely entirely on social media," explained Molyneux. "How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment."

Curiosity will be the first of 22 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117409-Molyneux-Outs-First-Post-Lionhead-Project-22-Experiments] such "experiments" designed to examine the psychology of social media users. The results of all the experiments will be used by Molyneux to inform the design of a game he intends to release in two years' time.

While this little game and its singular diamond chisel do have more than a whiff of the MolyJam [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.354459-The-Peter-Molydeux-Game-Jam-Gets-Real] about them, the concept is really interesting. Will anyone, or a group, be willing to spend that much money just to up their chances of being the one to see inside the box? Will the person to crack it open be someone who has spent days tapping away, or will it open on the first measly tap of some newcomer? What if it takes years? What if it never opens? Or what if it does open, and all we find inside is a voucher for Fable: The Journey with a smiley face scrawled over it? What have you done, Peter Molyneux?

If you can handle the weight of this black-boxed mystery, Curiosity is set for release on PC and mobile devices within the next six weeks.

Source: New Scientist [http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21428684.200-the-ai-game-that-knows-you-better-than-anyone.html]

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The madman is at it again... :\
""How will this person prove it? That in itself becomes a fascinating aspect of this experiment.""

Yes, yes!!! /quit Frankenstein voice
This is seriously dumb. If your game has 0.000001 percent gameplay call it "an experiment", how brilliant. Biggest DLC cash-in ever, more than anything else.

If some rich douchebag buys that diamond pick I genuinely hope they're forced to live off $1 a day for the next 60 years!

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Shine on, you crazy diamond (chisel)

Only someone like Molyneux would come up with this.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Good to see Molyneux back to doing experimental stuff, which is really where he best at anyway.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
It's a diamond pickaxe? Yeah, Notch should totally buy it.

I think it's a cool experiment. Rich / influential people should do weird stuff like this more often. Reminds me of "The Magic Christian" (awesome Peter Sellers movie) somewhat.

Landrius

Feb 14, 2011
It's an intriguing idea and I look forward to reading about the results of it, but I'm even more curious about what he actually plans to do design-wise with the results of this and the other experiments that have been hinted at.

I can't say I'm convinced that all this will truly lead to anything very much, but I hope it'll at least continue to be interesting.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
It's a shame they've only got one diamond chisel up for sale; I'd be more interested in seeing how many people buy one, rather than if one person in the world is stupid curious enough to buy one. I'd hypothesise that if there were more than one pick available, and people start buying them, other people would be feel that their chances of being the one to make the final crack had diminished, and feel more inclined to purchase one (assuming they had the funds). That's just me though.

Also, I wonder where all this money is going, if anywhere at all? It wouldn't make sense to divulge that information, as it would affect the experiment, but still, I'm more curious about that than what's in the cube.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Well, ok then! I actually think this is an interesting idea! Peter, be sure to tell us who buys it.

CleverCover

Nov 17, 2010
Yeahh, I'll just wait for the youtube video when it finally cracks open. For all we know, it's more of a timer and not actually how many chips.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
If Notch buys it, Molyneux should use some of the cash to have a pick bedazzled in his honour.

It is kind of interesting, I'm not sure if I want to spend a couple of hours clicking but I know someone will become obsessed with knowing.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Honestly the amount of money in question is so unrealistically high that I can't see how any kind of useful data can come from this. A huge majority of the people participating don't even have that much money in the first place.