E3 Preview: Metro: Last Light

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I assume the console version was the version they demoed? I'm excited for this game because it's nice to have a game that isn't "modern" or "generic" and has a focus on atmosphere. I also hope that the PC version of this game will be a visual and technical marvel like the first game.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I really hope that they don't entirely rely on jump scares for the horror. The scariness of Metro 2033 was caused by its atmosphere and the feeling of pure dread that it instilled in you. I'm still looking forward to the game but what you wrote here has made me a bit cautious. I'll reserve judgement til when it comes out.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Those dog things are called "nosalises" by the way. Yeah, even in Metro 2033 they were bad at making the player realise what they were called, I guess now they just assume you already know.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
EGtodd09 said:
Those dog things are called "nosalises" by the way. Yeah, even in Metro 2033 they were bad at making the player realise what they were called, I guess now they just assume you already know.
No the rat things in the Metro are the nosalises. I thought the demon dogs were the skulkers or stalkers or whatever it was - the ones that didn't come down into the tunnels, and just harassed you the whole time on the surface.

EGtodd09

Oct 20, 2010
Thyunda said:
EGtodd09 said:
No the rat things in the Metro are the nosalises. I thought the demon dogs were the skulkers or stalkers or whatever it was - the ones that didn't come down into the tunnels, and just harassed you the whole time on the surface.
I just checked the Metro 2033 wiki (yes there is one). Apparently we're both wrong, those dogs are called "Watchers" and the tiny pink ones from the underground are called "Lurkers" (though they are apparently just juvenile Watchers). I thought they were all just different breeds of nosalis. I guess that's a testament to how badly 4A were at naming their own creatures and telling the player about it.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Uh, why are they using third-person cutscenes again? They had like three at the start Metro 2033 and then they never showed up again (thankfully), I was hoping they'd just been left in by accident originally.

Anyway, I am still very much looking forward to this. I enjoyed the ever-loving shit out of 2033.

Waaghpowa said:
I assume the console version was the version they demoed? I'm excited for this game because it's nice to have a game that isn't "modern" or "generic" and has a focus on atmosphere. I also hope that the PC version of this game will be a visual and technical marvel like the first game.
Everything that's coming out for PC will be demoed on one at E3. The gameplay they released last year was absolutely gorgeous, I wouldn't worry about it not pushing things like the last one did.

Thyunda

May 4, 2009
EGtodd09 said:
Thyunda said:
EGtodd09 said:
I just checked the Metro 2033 wiki (yes there is one). Apparently we're both wrong, those dogs are called "Watchers" and the tiny pink ones from the underground are called "Lurkers" (though they are apparently just juvenile Watchers). I thought they were all just different breeds of nosalis. I guess that's a testament to how badly 4A were at naming their own creatures and telling the player about it.
I don't even know if they were named in the book. I only remember the Dark Ones being named, and anything else was just there.