E3 Preview: Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse

Steve Butts

Jun 1, 2010
E3 Preview: Family Guy: Back to the Multiverse

Brian and Stewie spread mayhem across multiple dimensions.

Read Full Article

Aussie502

Apr 19, 2011
Seems interesting.

However, in your preview you noted it was being published by THQ, yet the box art suggests it's being published by Activision?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
Aussie502 said:
Seems interesting.

However, in your preview you noted it was being published by THQ, yet the box art suggests it's being published by Activision?
The article's writer was only shown an alternate universe's copy of the game, where THQ is the sole game developer.

lorenzolio

Jan 9, 2008
The article also states the game is available for only XBOX and PC, but the box is a PS3 box.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
I don't know... I generally don't like Family Guy, but the multiverse episode was actually one of the few ones that I did like. And it certainly allows plenty of space for creativity.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
porpoise hork said:
Roboto said:
THQ always gets their hands on titles like these. Wonder why.
Probably because none of the other publishers will touch them.
Well dong! That is the answer I wanted to say but wanted to give someone else the satisfaction of posting.

Anyhow, THQ won't last much longer if the rumors are all true.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Farther than stars said:
I don't know... I generally don't like Family Guy, but the multiverse episode was actually one of the few ones that I did like. And it certainly allows plenty of space for creativity.
While Family Guy's writing fluctuates on a daily basis from actually sort of insightful-but-not-really-on-reflection to downright insultingly cheap, my main issue with Family Guy has always been that it is an ugly show. Even the purposely crude South Park exercises better cinematography than Family Guy does. I liked Road to the Multiverse because it actually had some really well-staged scenes, especially the "Disney" parody, which felt like it was pulled out of another, better show. (It was actually animated by a different studio, if I recall correctly.) Also, the brief Robot Chicken sketch, which shook up the look of the show even more.

So yeah, hopefully this game will mix up the rigmarole of Family Guy's dull art direction. I doubt it will, but on the offchance it does, I'll have to consider renting this. I won't buy it, of course. I'm not stupid, geez.

Roboto said:
porpoise hork said:
Roboto said:
THQ always gets their hands on titles like these. Wonder why.
Probably because none of the other publishers will touch them.
Well dong! That is the answer I wanted to say but wanted to give someone else the satisfaction of posting.

Anyhow, THQ won't last much longer if the rumors are all true.
It's Activision though. This article is really poorly-written. HOW FITTING.

My guess is he got THQ mixed up since I believe they said South Park: The Stick of Truth was headed for an M rating. And South Park and Family Guy are absolutely nothing alike and such a mistake is a rookie cock-up and completely embarrassing completely the same! Oh, and the game is actually coming to PS3, despite what the article says. See! What a well-written article.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
Andy of Comix Inc said:
And South Park and Family Guy are absolutely nothing alike and such a mistake is a rookie cock-up and completely embarrassing completely the same! Oh, and the game is actually coming to PS3, despite what the article says. See! What a well-written article.
If someone thinks Southpark and Family Guy are exactly the same, they have absolutely no grasp of either show and likely have never watched either since their 3rd seasons when they became too mainstream for it to seem edgy and cool to admit watching them.

On a side note, this article is totally in-line with the level of quality I expect from the writer.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Sylveria said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
And South Park and Family Guy are absolutely nothing alike and such a mistake is a rookie cock-up and completely embarrassing completely the same! Oh, and the game is actually coming to PS3, despite what the article says. See! What a well-written article.
If someone thinks Southpark and Family Guy are exactly the same, they have absolutely no grasp of either show and likely have never watched either since their 3rd seasons when they became too mainstream for it to seem edgy and cool to admit watching them.

On a side note, this article is totally in-line with the level of quality I expect from the writer.
There are a lot of people who throw every cartoon that swears into the same mental category. Which is unfortunate.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Even the purposely crude South Park exercises better cinematography than Family Guy does.
The idea that one would even use the word "cinematography" to speak of South Park or Family Guy is laughably insane in my opinion. Also, I get what you're saying about the Disney universe and in fact all the different art styles varying from our universe to the Washington Post one gave the whole episode an interesting twist. If the entire show was like this episode, the Star Wars parody or the Stephen King parody, I would probably watch it more often.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
Farther than stars said:
Andy of Comix Inc said:
Even the purposely crude South Park exercises better cinematography than Family Guy does.
The idea that one would even use the word "cinematography" to speak of South Park or Family Guy is laughably insane in my opinion. Also, I get what you're saying about the Disney universe and in fact all the different art styles varying from our universe to the Washington Post one gave the whole episode an interesting twist. If the entire show was like this episode, the Star Wars parody or the Stephen King parody, I would probably watch it more often.
Oh, I only use it cos... well, when Brad Bird was on The Simpsons, and they were still trying to define a "look" for the show, he went out of his way to make sure that, in his words, they used "better filmmaking". The logic being, if you can't make the animation itself better, you can stage it better. As such, The Simpsons to this day is more believable than its counterparts.

So I honestly think that such things are applicable to all prime-time cartoons. Such things would be caught at the storyboarding stage, naturally, which South Park skips. And yet, when South Park has to, the show looks stunning. Crisp, well-staged, and engaging - especially when the show pulls an action sequence out of its ass. Family Guy, conversely, is ALWAYS set on a 2D plane - like a 3-camera sitcom. Even when it calls for an action scene, it all takes place on a straight line. It used to be better - Season 2 of Family Guy was damn well staged - but recently the show looks like it was staged my amateurs. American Dad! doesn't have this problem, either. It's exclusive to Family Guy, and it's the kind of thing I would have hoped they'd have picked up on. But they seem to do it on purpose. To save on backgrounds? It could be cos the characters only look good at a three-quarters side-on view (cos Seth MacFarlane never learned how to draw). It's still insufferable, though.

So yeah. That's why I use the words "cinematography". Because The Simpsons set a standard that every show since has failed to reach. Writing aside, Simpsons is still the golden standard for prime-time animated comedies, and it makes me mad when shows with the budget of Family Guy fail to be even half as well-made.

Nathan Rands

Sep 9, 2012
Seems like a load of the people here are not really fans of Family Guy. You don't have to like it, nobody puts a gun to your head (except maybe fox with commercials...) and forces you to watch it. The first game was horrible, but I love the show. There are plenty of episodes that aren't very funny, but that is bound to happen after time. In the end, everything is going to seem old and repetitive and boring. Seems like a lot of people find the need to stop liking things once its mainstream, I don't understand why. If you like something so much, it seems pointless to dislike it once other like it. If you liked a girl and a lot of others did, I would say fight for her, don't just give up... Guess that is why I am married now haha.

To the point; I have preordered the new game, it may be ok. High chances are that it will suck beyond all belief, but I wont give up just because of a crappy game. I enjoy family guy as a show that I can just put on to watch or leave on in the background. Seems that some people over think it. It's not there to be amazing, its just there. If you don't enjoy it, why put it down so hard? Why compare it to other shows? It is what it is and people are bound to have their separate opinions.