DFC: Game Revenue Set To Hit $70 Billion by 2017

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
DFC: Game Revenue Set To Hit $70 Billion by 2017

Industry research firm, DFC Intelligence, predicts PC titles will be a growth leader.

DFC predicts the video game software industry, which was worth some $52 billion USD in 2011, will grow to $70 billion by 2017. PCs will apparently be responsible for 39 percent of that growth, followed by consoles and mobile devices which are credited with 36 percent and 25 percent respectively. So where are these numbers coming from? DFC has partnered with game-orientated instant messaging service Xfire to quantify the success of new PC titles. According to the company's stats, North America and Europe have seen a record number of users playing games with little or no retail presence, such as Minecraft or League of Legends.

"While the game industry is expanding on all fronts with new demographic groups playing games on a regular basis, the core consumer still remains male, age 12 to 30," said David Cole, CEO of DFC Intelligence. "In every segment, the key growth factor is improving access and monetization capabilities to that core demographic. Digital distribution, already widely accepted among core gamers globally, is clearly broadening access to products and driving much of the industry growth."

Browser-based and social network games are expected to break the $8 billion revenue mark by 2017, but only if content producers begin courting the core gaming market. DFC's data seems to support an earlier report from market boffin collective, SuperData, which suggested that core gamer orientated genres are growing in popularity on social networks and mobile devices. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117273-Mid-Core-May-Be-the-New-Casual]

"The bottom line is core gamers spend money on products they like," Cole continued, "and right now the game offerings on sites like Facebook are simply not appealing to that demographic."

Source: GameIndustryBiz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-08-game-revenues-to-grow-to-USD70-billion-by-2017-dfc]

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
That picture makes me laugh a lot more than usual considering that I just played "Duck Tales" for the NES...

OT: That's a lot of money...i'm not terribly sure why Publishers need to wring more cash out of us with crap like ODDLC (on disk DLC)...

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
MrBrightside919 said:
That picture makes me laugh a lot more than usual considering that I just played "Duck Tales" for the NES...

OT: That's a lot of money...i'm not terribly sure why Publishers need to wring more cash out of us with crap like ODDLC (on disk DLC)...
Because despite the overrall growth of the industry and the major profits being posted by the big companies, they are losing money to used sales and piracy and WON'T SOMEONE PLEEEEEEEEASE THINK OF THE POOR GAMING INDUSTRY!!??

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I'm not seeing it. Not only am I not seeing it, I think it's going to shrink before too much longer, at least in the US.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
vxicepickxv said:
I'm not seeing it. Not only am I not seeing it, I think it's going to shrink before too much longer, at least in the US.

I agree. Disposable incomes are shrinking across southern Europe at the same as unemployment is rising to painfully high rates. There is little or no room for growth in Europe and the Euro crisis, if unchecked, will spill over into the US. That will pretty much destroy any sales growth in the US.

matrix3509

Sep 24, 2008
Yeah right, there is no way in hell the game industry will make it to 2017 without spectacularly crashing.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
But if game not 8.0 because investors who don't know shit about gaming rushed development, NO BONUS 4 U!
And if the only reason you didn't quite reach your score was because the QA was done really badly, which was supposed to be done by said publisher, then SUCKS 2 B U!