E3 Preview: Dust 514

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
E3 Preview: Dust 514

The massive universe of Eve Online gets a little smaller.

Read Full Article

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I was terrified by the name that this would be some sort of futuristic version of From Dust.

/flashback

/dies

On topic... Looks interesting. Though really since seeing that 100 active players at 1 time multiplayer title from last summer... Any shooter seems fairly uninteresting now. Though this does hypothetically give Eve a great deal more depth. And in a way it almost looks like its trying to beat planetside 2 to the punch.

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
I am an EVE player and CEO of a corporation that owns 5 planets. While I'll never be playing this game (Horrible at FPSes, and no PS3) I nonetheless look forward to this game and interacting with dust bunnies (The nickname EVE players have already given future Dust players) or a regular basis.

Oh and you misspelled Forever. You say it like this:

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Kwil said:
Mike, think you could add a platform note? I mean, I know it's only for PS3 (damnit), but not everybody does, and who knows, maybe they've changed plans? I'd love a PC version of this to be available.
I spoke directly with the developers about that exact topic, and they confirmed that there are no plans to release this anywhere but PSN. I'm not a big fan of the decision, either.

Mike Kayatta

Minister of Secrets
Aug 2, 2011
Pinstar said:
I am an EVE player and CEO of a corporation that owns 5 planets. While I'll never be playing this game (Horrible at FPSes, and no PS3) I nonetheless look forward to this game and interacting with dust bunnies (The nickname EVE players have already given future Dust players) or a regular basis.

Oh and you misspelled Forever. You say it like this:
Not bad - still a Sandlot guy, myself :-D

Pinstar

Jul 22, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Kwil said:
Mike, think you could add a platform note? I mean, I know it's only for PS3 (damnit), but not everybody does, and who knows, maybe they've changed plans? I'd love a PC version of this to be available.
I spoke directly with the developers about that exact topic, and they confirmed that there are no plans to release this anywhere but PSN. I'm not a big fan of the decision, either.
They wanted to release it on Xbox but Microsoft didn't want to tweak Xbox live so that Dust could properly sych up with the EVE server so they were forced to abandon support for that platform.

They aren't doing it on PC because that would compete directly with EVE the MMO and they don't want to cannibalize their own market share.

Alexnader

$20 For Steve
May 18, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Kwil said:
Nooooooooo!!!!!

Ah well, they probably saw Planetside 2 coming and ran away scared.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
At first I thought that they'd balance the permanent loss thing by making items cheap (compared to most items in EVE), but then I saw the trailer. 375,000 ISK for a single suit of armour for a single player?

Surely only the biggest hyper-ultra-mega-corporations will be able to outfit an army...

knight4light

Jun 24, 2011
Tharwen said:
At first I thought that they'd balance the permanent loss thing by making items cheap (compared to most items in EVE), but then I saw the trailer. 375,000 ISK for a single suit of armour for a single player?

Surely only the biggest hyper-ultra-mega-corporations will be able to outfit an army...

Hey, in EVE. If you want the best stuff. You're gonna have to pay big money. Just makes losing it all the more important.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Mike Kayatta said:
Kwil said:
They MUST be released it on PC eventually - the only logic I can see behind making it a PS3-exclusive is to emphasise the idea of completely separate people issuing the orders and receiving them, but that's... I mean, you have 400,000 players with a vested interest in playing Dust 514 from the get-go, on the platform that F2P does best on.

It doesn't seem big enough for Sony to be paying them for exclusivity.

WW2Dude

Jun 9, 2012
I'm beta testing Dust and I all I can say is I disagree with Tharwen.

And besides, a game that lets you get the best equipment quickly and cheap doesn't sound very challenging.

I'd like to add some info, Mike. Yes, you'll mostly take mercenary contracts from EVE players to protect or take ground assets. But Dust 514 player cooperation can own ground stations too. When you think you guys have enough money, you can load up a War Barge with MCCs, suits, weapons, and vehicles. With the War Barge, you can fly into low security space, find a ground station, then attack it. If you take it then it's yours. Now you can reap the benefits and income it provides. Be warned though, the EVE player you took it from might not be too happy about that. So be prepared to defend.

Player cooperation made in both EVE and Dust are the same thing. Players from EVE can join your cooperation and earn you money. You can hire miners, they pull in a huge amount of money from mining asteroid belts. And if the vehicles and weapons you need to fight with must be manufactured first...then having miner and manufacturer players would mean you won't have to pay as much for the toys you want to play with. Having pvp players would be beneficial too. They'll keep the skies clear while also providing orbital bombardments (bombardments only available in lowsec and nullsec...for now).

But the BIG money is in the alliance wars going on in Nullsec. These Alliances are constantly at war with one objective, own as many systems as possible. If you want the best equipment, join a nullsec alliance. They're going to want the best, though. So if you're a fps bad ass, they'll be looking for players like you. With the wealth they generate, that 375,000 isk suit looks doesn't look very expensive.

Product Placement

Jul 16, 2009
Alexnader said:
Mike Kayatta said:
Kwil said:
Nooooooooo!!!!!

Ah well, they probably saw Planetside 2 coming and ran away scared.
How many times does this need to be addressed? Microsoft made it impossible for them to release it on the Xbox.

Tharwen

May 7, 2009
WW2Dude said:
I'm beta testing Dust and I all I can say is I dressage with Tharwen.
[sub]I'm going to assume you meant 'disagree'.[/sub]

OK, I just didn't know how the game would be balanced, because I remember from the little playtime I've had in EVE that that paying that much per player would be a lot of money.

mb16

make cupcakes not bombs
Sep 14, 2008
Tharwen said:
WW2Dude said:

OK, I just didn't know how the game would be balanced, because I remember from the little playtime I've had in EVE that that paying that much per player would be a lot of money.
375,000 ISK is nothing really. Im not the most dedicated player and even I had multiple ships worth +20million each, with one being close to 1 billion ISK (a "Tengu Strategic Cruiser" with high end fits)

Tharwen

May 7, 2009
mb16 said:
Tharwen said:
WW2Dude said:

375,000 ISK is nothing really. Im not the most dedicated player and even I had multiple ships worth +20million each, with one being close to 1 billion ISK (a "Tengu Strategic Cruiser" with high end fits)
I know, but if the number of deaths per fight is anything like the number in a typical Battlefield match (the closest comparison I think I can draw) the cost will add up very quickly.

WW2Dude

Jun 9, 2012
Planetside 2 is for PC so I don't know why you would bring that game into this.

But I don't think Planetside has the kind of maps Dust will have. There are over 7000 temperate(earth like) planets in New Eden and each one will have 10 to 20 districts. Each district will have it's own unique code that contains info on sea level, land elevation, plant life, ect. There will also be random weather as well as night, day, dust, and dawn. The map builder takes this info and builds a random map. No map will look the same other than the structures you're fighting over. These maps will be over 3 miles wide. You could fight on a flat plains in one fight and rocky canyons the next.

You could bring in Planetside's massive battles into account. Hundreds of players in one battle compared to the 24v24 for Dust. But CCP will expand that number over time as they improve the game. These improvements will include balances demanded by the players, new vehicles, suits and weapons, as well as tweaks to the map generator. Not only that, fighting on Barren (Mars like)planets are the next step to expanding the game.

There are 4 factions that have developed their own types of light, assault, heavy, and logistic suits. Each with a number of more advanced variants as well as many sub-factions that put their own twists on the designs. And This goes for the weapons and vehicles too. And the best part is that you're not limited to one faction's equipment. You could have Amarrian armor armed with a Gallente assault rife, driving a Caldari vehicle with Minmatar grenades on your belt.

One thing that caught my attention was at the EVE fanfest held this year, one guy asked the members of the Dust development team if we could fight on EVE players' ships as boarding parties. They're response was "would you like that?"

I'm not trying to shoot down Planetside 2, it's epic in it's own right. But leave the competition between them to the developers.