Hackers Gank League of Legends EU Accounts

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hackers Gank League of Legends EU Accounts

European summoners, it's time to change your passwords.

Nobody likes hackers, especially when they're stealing your Diablo III character's gear [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/109448-PSN-Down-Worldwide-Is-Anonymous-to-Blame]. There's a new group of gamers who have reason to curse those damn hackers, though - League of Legends players in Europe.

In a post on the League EU forums [http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=724516], Riot Games president Marc "Tryndamere" Merrill admitted that his company's European databases had been compromised. "Hackers gained access to certain personal player data contained in certain EU West and EU Nordic & East databases; as a security precaution, we're emailing all players on these platforms," he wrote.

The "most critical" data that the intruders could have accessed included "email address, encrypted account password, summoner name, date of birth," as well as first and last names and security questions/answers for a small number of the populace. However, he stressed that no payment or billing information was compromised in any way.

While the password data was encrypted, said Merrill, the company's investigation "determined that more than half of the passwords were simple enough to be at risk of easy cracking." So that's a big hint that it may be time to stop using "password1" for your password, folks.

Merrill said that as a precaution, every League EU player should change his or her password here [https://euw.leagueoflegends.com/account], and if those players use their League passwords on different sites they should change them there as well.

"[CEO Brandon Beck] and I want to sincerely and personally apologize to you for this situation," wrote Merrill. "We take your privacy and security seriously, and we're working diligently to improve it for the better."

Source: League of Legends EU [http://euw.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=724516]

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
'Hackers Gank?' Either you guys need to spell-check better, or I'm very, very stupid. Could anyone enlighten me as to what a 'gank' is? Is that a reference to the game, or a colloquialism?

felbot

May 11, 2011
JaymesFogarty said:
'Hackers Gank?' Either you guys need to spell-check better, or I'm very, very stupid. Could anyone enlighten me as to what a 'gank' is? Is that a reference to the game, or a colloquialism?
its a reference to the game, a gank is basically the entire team going on one guy when hes not expecting it.

also these news are late.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Yeah, got an email about this. Not good, not good at all. But oh well, changed my password. Hopefully this won`t happen again. Tho odds are, eventually, it will.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Gank is used in a multitude of games, I'd say I find it rather weird on your part that you haven't heard of it.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Well as long as there's no hacking of credit cards and stuff i'm ok with just a teeny little hack. I mean what are they gonna go with LoL passwords without any credit card shenanigans? Go into 50 games and get the guy banned for afk and troll builds?

Anyway how the hell did they get ganked so hard? Did they not ward the bush next to bot? Great, you gave them a free Dragon. Good job on the wards technical support...

Hackers OP!

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
felbot said:
JaymesFogarty said:
its a reference to the game, a gank is basically the entire team going on one guy when hes not expecting it.

also these news are late.
Much obliged! :)

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Eri said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Gank is used in a multitude of games, I'd say I find it rather weird on your part that you haven't heard of it.
Well, I googled it, (really should have just done that anyway, instead of posting) and it looks like it's really a MMORPG kind of thing. The one genre I can never play - shame. Thanks anyway! :)

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
JaymesFogarty said:
Eri said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Well, I googled it, (really should have just done that anyway, instead of posting) and it looks like it's really a MMORPG kind of thing. The one genre I can never play - shame. Thanks anyway! :)
Kinda started out in MMORPGs but now it's the go-to term for one (or small group) guy getting attacked by more (larger group) in pretty much any game.

choclatechocobo

Mar 5, 2012
John Funk said:
While the password data was encrypted, said Merrill, the company's investigation "determined that more than half of the passwords were simple enough to be at risk of easy cracking." So that's a big hint that it may be time to stop using "password1" for your password, folks.

uhhh, so does this mean that they have taken it upon themselves to decrypt and check what the passwords actually are, irregardless of the players changing their password or not?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Now if only the hackers could get on the case of hacking each and every Brazilian players so I can stop getting trolled by them and hearing "MORDEKAISER ES NUMERO UNO AHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHE".

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
VladG said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Eri said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Kinda started out in MMORPGs but now it's the go-to term for one (or small group) guy getting attacked by more (larger group) in pretty much any game.
The term is actually being properly used as a double entendre. Ganking means to steal or rob someone. In gaming terms, as you mentioned, it means to gang up on someone or fight someone of a vastly inferior level. Because of the nature of a MOBA, this happens a lot!

Well done, Mr. Funk.

Swifteye

Apr 15, 2010
Oh. I just got into this game a week or so ago. Like it alot, glad I didn't get my account ganked. I'm betting the hacked accounts are probably getting their valuable items siphoned or something. Stealin' skins or whatever.

HellsingerAngel

Jul 6, 2008
Swifteye said:
Oh. I just got into this game a week or so ago. Like it alot, glad I didn't get my account ganked. I'm betting the hacked accounts are probably getting their valuable items siphoned or something. Stealin' skins or whatever.
Anything purchased is bound to the account. The only use of getting an account is to either take it as your own account of grief someone else by getting it banned.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
MMO's are being hit hard lately.

But what's with the strong password thing? what makes a strong password exactly? all i have to go by is the password security meter which says i'm amazing if i add a "@" into my password.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Swifteye said:
to steal a skin you would have to steal the entire account.
I have a feeling they were after Credit card info.

Buretsu said:
I'm going to laugh if this doesn't generate as much outrage as the Diablo 3 hacking did...
I don't see why it would. Riot was open about the problem they detaild what was stolen and notfied people.

Bliz kept the problem hidden. Did not warn people that joining a public game can get your account hacked. Calmed the problem wasn't that big compared to outer games and still has yet to entirely fix the issue.

This is more akin to the PSN problem anyway. Except this was handled right.