Abe's Oddysee Remake Becomes a Reboot

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Abe's Oddysee Remake Becomes a Reboot

The upcoming re-release of Abe's Oddysee is getting more than a HD facelift.

Developer, Just Add Water, has been working on an HD version of Abe's Oddysee since the release of Stranger's Wrath HD, last year. It was assumed the update would be a relatively straightforward affair - a simple switch to 3D in a similar manner to Grin's excellent Bionic Commando Rearmed . According to a Facebook update from Oddworld Inhabitants, the original developers of the game, there's more to it than that.

The developers have decided to "reboot" the title. It won't just be an HD update of the original PS1 classic, but a new game built from scratch that uses the original title as a "blueprint." All the better, in my opinion. While Abe's Oddysee and its sequel, Abe's Exoddus, still hold up graphically, thanks to some excellent FMV and sprite work, the titles' twitchy controls occasionally pushed them from "punishing" to "infuriating." If you're a stickler for authenticity, however, the original versions of both games are available on PSN and PC.

The game is due for release in the Summer of 2013. No news on a target platform.

Source: Facebook [http://www.facebook.com/OfficialOddworld]

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
Wow really?! That pretty awesome. I didn't think there would ever be a new one.

fanklok

Legendary Table User
Jul 17, 2009
Don't bother getting the originals on PC, it's miserable. And I look forward to this, I just hope it doesn't sit in my collection for 6 years before I finish it.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
Have to say the color contrast is very nice and I hope they keep a similar pallet for the remake, I really like the way that Mudokon Pops out from the scenery.
Indeed. Then again, we don't want people to think we're being too Glukkonous for wanting more of this now do we?

....I'll see myself out.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
This should be interesting. I have always been a big fan of the Oddworld series. Hell way back when, the original reason I wanted a PS1 was for Oddworld. I don't know what this reboot will do, or how the story will be different. I assume mostly the same. As long as they can keep the original feel of the game I'll gladly shell out my cash for it.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
New Oddworld game? :O

Never got to try strangers wrath, only played the games on the ps1.

So does this mean we have a high profile platformer to watch out for? Goody!

Flack

Brushie Brushie Brushie
Mar 14, 2008
I am very excited by this! I am a big fan of the Oddworld games!

Llil

Jul 24, 2008
Oddysee and Exoddus are the only games in the series I've played, because the others look like they don't have much of what I liked about the first two, so a new game in the style of the originals sound great. Hoping this gets a PC release as well.

Also, I've been trying to find the PC version of Exoddus for years now, but no luck. A physical copy, because I'm cool like that. If anyone knows where to find one (other than ebay), then please, give me a hint.

fanklok said:
Don't bother getting the originals on PC, it's miserable.
How so? I've played both the PC and the PS1 versions, and I didn't see much difference at all between them.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Shrykull in HD. Just think about that for a second. Also I hope they keep some of the old elements, such as Abe narrating in rhyme.

UnderGlass

Jan 12, 2012
Great news! Beautiful games that fully deserve to be re-appreciated by a modern audience. I often wonder about straight HD re-makes. Shiny new graphicalisms are fine but if you're not bringing anything new to the table it does seem to be a lot of effort for not much reward.

I'm pretty happy re-playing the old games as they are but a re-imagining of the originals is something I shall definitely be looking forward to.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Abe "Hello"
Me "Hello"
Abe "Follow me"
Me "ok"
Abe "Buy game"
me "ok"

Great news I look forward to returning to Oddworld.

captcha: my beating heart. Looks like the captcha's heart also skipped a beat when it heard the news.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
As long as the reboot keeps the platformer style and doesn't become like Munch's Oddyssey I'm fine.

Love this game and really looking forward to this.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I don't mind this. Oddysee's level design frequently enters "how the hell was I supposed to guess that without a walkthrough!?!?!" terrain.

P.S. Thanks