Activision Vows to Support the Wii U

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Activision Vows to Support the Wii U

Black Ops 2 shipping on a Nintendo console? That's unpossible!

After rolling out executives from Warner Bros. Interactive and Ubisoft at its massive presentation last week, Nintendo may have scored support from one of the biggest videogame publishers in Activision. Eric Hirshberg, head of Activision Publishing, stated the company will get behind Nintendo's new console, and pointed out a connection between Call of Duty Elite's offerings and the second screen in the Wii U Gamepad. Hirshberg balked at providing details, but many assume Black Ops 2 is set to release on Wii U.

"We take out time to get our ducks in a row before pulling any trigger. We don't have announcements today but we will be supporting Wii U," Hirshberg said before he was quick to position Activision as the thought-leader on using peripheral screens.

"We were there with second screen enhancements with Call of Duty Elite last year and one of the primary uses we're finding comes through the tablet and through the smartphone," he said. "People are using it in that "between-games" way that I think now you're seeing that kind of rhetoric with the controller from Nintendo as well as the SmartGlass presentation from Microsoft. So it's great that others are jumping on board and enhancing that idea but it's something we were doing last year with Elite."

The comments from Treyarch studio head Mark Lamia were even more interesting. "We obviously have been a Nintendo developer for many years and have created many Call of Duty games on the Nintendo platform. [Wii U] is clearly a more powerful platform than its predecessor," he said.

Nintendo also stealthed-announced a Wii U "Pro Controller" [http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/07/nintendo-wii-u-pro-controller-hands-on-video/] which looks identical to a Xbox 360 controller, seemingly perfect for porting current generation games. "They announced a Pro Controller which appears to be a controller that would be really good for first person shooter games. It just so happens that's what we specialize in," Lamia said.

Treyarch's designers were also excited about the possibilties of the new console's scheme. "[The Wii U] has that touch display device and you think about the kinds of things you might be able to do and - without getting into specifics - I absolutely have given it consideration and thought. We're game developers and it's a new piece of hardware and technology, so we're always thinking about that stuff."

But, he's under strict orders not to spill the beans: "It's difficult to say because it's something we're not talking about. I'm intentionally being elusive because we're not talking about it!"

I'm not sure what all this adds up to, but Nintendo may have secured a partner in Activision. If true, and Black Ops 2 ships with a Wii U version, Nintendo's fortunes this holiday just got a lot cheerier.

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-11-wii-u-getting-call-of-duty-black-ops-ii-this-holiday]

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The WiiU Pro Controller is not identical to the 360 controller. Maybe the casing is very similar but the casing is the least important part.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Crono1973 said:
The WiiU Pro Controller is not identical to the 360 controller. Maybe the casing is very similar but the casing is the least important part.
Enlighten me, what's so different then?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JokerboyJordan said:
Crono1973 said:
The right stick and button placement. Could you not tell by looking?

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I don't care, but I'm sure it'll make investors very happy. I know CoD can be a system mover, and this is a chance to expand their audience further, so it's happy smiles all around the business circles.

Will this make gamers shut up about the WiiU "not having third party support"? Probably not. I can already see it now: "Call of Duty doesn't count!"

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Crono1973 said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Crono1973 said:
The PS3 controller has different stick and D-Pad placement, but you can play the same games on it with ease, it honestly makes no difference.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I just chuckled at the thought of Nintendo fans being exposed to a franchise even more stagnant than the ones that they love and worship.

Anyway, its too early for me to WMG a prediction on how this will turn out. I think im right on saying that we dont even know how the WiiU will perform when it comes to networking just yet.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
JokerboyJordan said:
Crono1973 said:
JokerboyJordan said:
Crono1973 said:
The PS3 controller has different stick and D-Pad placement, but you can play the same games on it with ease, it honestly makes no difference.
Moving the goal post? The question wasn't "can you play 360 games on the WiiU Pro Controller". The question was "is the WiiU Pro Controller identical to the 360 controller". No, it isn't identical.

Now I understand why you were arguing with me. For a few minutes I thought you really couldn't see that the right stick and buttons were in a different place. I never said you couldn't play 360 ports with this controller, nor would I.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Well to be fair they even supported the Wii... even though Black Ops looked like scratchy crap on Wii with the framerate of a broken windows-photo-viewer slide show. The WiiU being closer in power it's a pretty obvious they'd bother with a port. Don't except it to be made with much tender loving care, they don't even put adequate attention to the Xbox 360 and PS3 version.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
gigastar said:
I just chuckled at the thought of Nintendo fans being exposed to a franchise even more stagnant than the ones that they love and worship.
I really don't see the logic behind this.
So if you're a Nintendo fan you can't play games that aren't on a Nintendo console?
Actually, not even that since there were CoD games on the Wii.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
BiH-Kira said:
gigastar said:
I really don't see the logic behind this.
So if you're a Nintendo fan you can't play games that aren't on a Nintendo console?
Actually, not even that since there were CoD games on the Wii.
[sarcasm]
Didn't you know, Nintendo fans don't play games on any other console and would short circuit if a 360 was placed in front of them.
[/sarcasm]

Can't believe people still think like this in 2012.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
That pro controller thing looks retarded. Just because Microsoft decided to make the left analogue stick above the d-pad doesn't make it a good idea. It was a terrible idea from the start. And these guys decided to put both analogue sticks up there? People are used to having at least the right analogue stick in it's natural god intended position. Why the fuck would they change that?
Are they targeting an audience that never held a controller in their life? Why would they make something people will have to get used to? It's a terrible business move. You're supposed to make a controller that players will intuitively be able to use without having to think where the buttons are, you dimwits.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
but...nintendo has always put the left joystick above the dpad

i don't think the overall arrangement appears to be disruptive right now, at least not as much as having the a and b buttons in opposite configurations as opposed to varying devices

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
That pro controller thing looks retarded. Just because Microsoft decided to make the left analogue stick above the d-pad doesn't make it a good idea. It was a terrible idea from the start. And these guys decided to put both analogue sticks up there? People are used to having at least the right analogue stick in it's natural god intended position. Why the fuck would they change that?
Are they targeting an audience that never held a controller in their life? Why would they make something people will have to get used to? It's a terrible business move. You're supposed to make a controller that players will intuitively be able to use without having to think where the buttons are, you dimwits.
First of all, they didn't place it where they did because of MS, but because they did the same thing with the GC controller.

Second, the analog sticks are on the primary spots of the controller. Most FPS games use both sticks more than other buttons. Which means, they are the primary control method. Placing the primary control method on the primary spots seems somehow... logica?
And before you answer, Nintendo said that the pro controller was more FPS oriented.

Also, "god intended"? Really?
Good to know that god intended how we should play games.
And insulting... yup.
I shouldn't have even replayed to your post.

Captcha: end of story
It's starting to be creepy how the captcha fits the situations more and more.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I saw the original controller with the touch screen and buttons and thought "I really want to hold it." I saw the pro controller I thought, "Well damn that's awesome, they actually are going through with 3rd party support." I always figured with the buttons the first one, that more multi-console games could be shared across the board, but now I am damn certain the wii-u will not be left out.

I want the wii-u, I want it a good lot.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Anoni Mus said:
There should be a ignore list so we could put users on it for posts like this.
You actually can ignore specific users. Click on their username and hit the handy "Ignore" button. I'm sure Mr. Adam Jensen will appreciate getting your quote calling him ignorant and not worth being read, though. It really helps add to the discussion at hand.

OT: Well, I'll take Activision's words with a grain of salt, but at least they're claiming that they'll support it, and they did attempt to support the Wii, which adds a small bit of credibility. So good on you, Activision?

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
JokerboyJordan said:
Crono1973 said:
Also it uses the best of the three prime D-pads, the nintendo d-pad, as opposed to the worst of all D-pads ever, the x-box D-pad.

Not that it's overly significant or anything, but I've always just though the nintendo style of buttons (and Playstation style, for their O tri, square, X buttons at least), smooth and flat, felt much better than the xbox's bulging things.

Crono1973 said:
[sarcasm]
Didn't you know, Nintendo fans don't play games on any other console and would short circuit if a 360 was placed in front of them.
[/sarcasm]

Can't believe people still think like this in 2012.
*owns every main series mario and zelda game on the market*

*owns all 3 current gen consoles like a BAWS*

xP