What It Is

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Some movies are like a fine, well cooked meal. This is not one of them. This is a hollow, processed movie that serves only as the movie equivalent of a doughnut.

At least it's a good doughnut.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
The Gentleman said:
Some movies are like a fine, well cooked meal. This is not one of them. This is a hollow, processed movie that serves only as the movie equivalent of a doughnut.

At least it's a good doughnut.
>.>
you know, there are some REALLY good doughnuts out there.

this dose not smack as one of them. smack more of 'day old and stale that they throw away at the end of the day cause no one bought it'

and where where all these 'sexy math teachers' when i was in school damn it!!! /end bad, but fitting joke

rayen020

May 20, 2009
hey awesome bonus review article. I was actually wondering about this movie. i might go see this. sometimes adam sandler works for me sometimes not. It's a gamble but if i seee anything this week it'll be this.

Aureliano

Mar 5, 2009
To be perfectly frank, I don't want to live in a world in which every single person is too "mature" to want to see a girl catch a baseball with her boobs or tiny Adam Sandler live out the least appropriate (which is itself already an accomplishment) Van Halen song.

Can't we just enjoy things that are willing to break some rules (a mediocre and likely offensive movie in a world full of PC sellouts with half-billion dollar budgets that are specifically tooled to offend no-one and appeal to the blandest sensibilities in everyone is itself rebellious in my eyes) and realize that it's the "culturally enriching" experiences that debase us now?

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Aureliano said:
To be perfectly frank, I don't want to live in a world in which every single person is too "mature" to want to see a girl catch a baseball with her boobs or tiny Adam Sandler live out the least appropriate (which is itself already an accomplishment) Van Halen song.

Can't we just enjoy things that are willing to break some rules (a mediocre and likely offensive movie in a world full of PC sellouts with half-billion dollar budgets that are specifically tooled to offend no-one and appeal to the blandest sensibilities in everyone is itself rebellious in my eyes) and realize that it's the "culturally enriching" experiences that debase us now?
This. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person out there who thought Click wasn't bad.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
How about this: the preview made me want to cover my ears and eyes. The idea of watching an entire movie of that material makes applying a power sander to the palms of my hands sound like an appealing alternative.

This is not a case of needing to establish that my sensibilities are "above" this kind of material; this is a case of the preview suggesting I would find the full version to be utterly without merit, charm, or wit.

Sandler can make good, and funny, movies. But I've never found him funny when he works at this level. It's the level of comedians who bark abuse at their audience and then dare them to show they're not cool by being offended rather than laughing. Lemming humor.

MB mentions Beavis & Butthead in the article. But a notable difference on cursory examination is that one never gets the idea that Judge, their creator, likes Beavis & Butthead, the characters. He doesn't approve of their behavior; he doesn't think of their antics as commendable, or as some kind of power fantasy of what he'd like to get away with. Much of the time, the characters' crassness ends up getting them hurt, and when others around them aren't abusing them for their behavior, it's only because their failure to condemn the behavior is itself satirical.

Punch Drunk Love was described by a friend as a movie in which acting like an Adam Sandler character wasn't accepted as appropriate by the other characters inhabiting the movie. It seems somewhat of a shame that so many of Sandler's films since then have been stepping away from that.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
How generically formulaic of Adam Sandler. Does his bff Rob Schneider make an appearance as some uncouth person of low intelligence, usually a mocking parody of a stereotypical social type?

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
Heh, refreshing to know that this wasn't a total bomb like his last film, "Jack and Jill" was. But his work has just been slipping. And you're right, most of the movies he produced/directs/acts-in are just an excuse to get some of his buddies some screen time. A bit depressing, but for the most part this is show BUSINESS.

To be honest, and maybe it's just because I personally enjoy golf and hockey, but "Happy Gilmore" will ALWAYS be my favorite Sandler film, and nothing will top it.

Aug 25, 2009
I think for what it is is an absolutely essential part of a review sometimes. Not everything is trying to be a genre defying masterpiece of cinema or videogaming, and some films are. Whenever you're reviewing anything I think you have to take it on what it wanted to be, and decide whether it achieved that, fell short, or surpassed its intentions.

For example:

I did a gig yesterday as an end of year treat for some of our students who are leaving us in a week. The intention was to provide an hour and a half of music for 100 students while giving them time to talk to their teachers. What we ended up with was an hour and a half of music that the students really enjoyed while they said goodbye to their teachers.

Was it a breakout gig? No. Was it my best gig ever? No. Was it a surprise up-and-coming artist who could outdo a professional musician with his stage craft? No.

But I wasn't trying to be any of those things. It was what it was and for what it was it was a great afternoon.

In terms of movies probably the one that springs to mind is Iron Man. What it aimed to be was a faithful recreation of the comic book character onto the big screen while not sucking as hard as some previous superhero movies have. It wasn't looking for Academy Awards, it just wanted to be a good popcorn flick, and it was. It just also happened to be clever, funny, exciting and well directed enough that it kick-started the whole Marvel cinematic universe.

For what it is is crucial, especially when you place it beside 'what it aimed to be.'

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
It's interesting how this movie-formula hasn't really changed at all.

Everyone is wearing fancy dress clothes but Donny wears a tie with his t-shirt! HAH! But it's okay because shockingly everyone but Todd thinks he's endearing and fun! LOL! The fancy men went to a spa and Donny thought it was a brothel! Old ladies talking dirty? Check. Nasty strip club with one "hilariously" overweight performer? You betcha. Fat people falling over? Blow-to-the-head humor?
It seems like other generic films have tried to update their premise, but this is like an exact description of half a bunch of other films too

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
As far as I'm concerned all you really need to know about this movie is that joke #1 is
pedophilia and the capstone joke is incest. And I find neither of these things funny.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
thehorror2 said:
Anybody who saw this: What, exactly did Meester and Ventimiglia do that was so mind-bending?
I actually want to know too. I have no interest in the movie at all aside from the fact that Bob said this had an audience of screeners guffawing.

So please, someone educate me?

Michael826

Aug 17, 2009
NinjaDeathSlap said:
Aureliano said:

This. It's also nice to know that I'm not the only person out there who thought Click wasn't bad.
You're not alone. I really enjoyed Click.

OT: Don't know if I'll see this in cinema or not, and I doubt I'll buy the DVD. If I do, it'll be cheap Tuesday. Sometimes Sandler's comedy works for me, other times it grates me beyond belief. In a strange way, I guess that's a good thing. The last thing you want in a piece of entertainment is indifference.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
Yeah, I'm not interested in this movie. I think that the premise is icky and downright criminal.