Dr. Who Will Be Performing Your Surgery Today

Firefilm

May 27, 2011
Dr. Who Will Be Performing Your Surgery Today

The guys wrap up their debate over The Doctor vs. The Zoidberg.

Read Full Article

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Chris... dude... one of your favourite Doctor Who eps is LOVE AND MONSTERS? The one with the fat alien who stuck people on his butt and the sentient, blowjob-dispensing slab of concrete? Dude... you're, like... BROKEN. o_O

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
KoDOmega said:
Chris... dude... one of your favourite Doctor Who eps is LOVE AND MONSTERS? The one with the fat alien who stuck people on his butt and the sentient, blowjob-dispensing slab of concrete? Dude... you're, like... BROKEN. o_O
I liked Love and Monsters. It was nice to see the Doctor from an ordinary person's perspective.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
SuperSamio64 said:
KoDOmega said:
I liked Love and Monsters. It was nice to see the Doctor from an ordinary person's perspective.

"Spit or swallow" is a question I do not want answered in this context...

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
SuperSamio64 said:
KoDOmega said:
Yeah, but it was a bit better in the pilot episode for New Who where the conspiracy theory guy was ranting about it than the aforementioned oral sex with A CONCRETE SLAB.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
"Some of my favorite Doctor Who episodes are the ones where The Doctor isn't in the spotlight but rather other characters searching for him as if he's a mythical hero of legend, which he essentially is..."
Agreed, Blink is a great example of this.

"...(A good example of this is "Love & Monsters")."

I fully accept that you are entitled to your opinion but you are in a very very small group of Whovians who enjoyed Davies' "Love & Monsters".
It's just a terrible "Doctor-lite" episode even when not compared to Moffat's "Blink".

I mean come on. A Scooby Doo parody? The only reason the TARDIS turns up to save the day is because Rose's mum has issues with Elton so Rose goes and gives him a telling off. The Doctor doesn't even seem to care once the Abzorbaloff (which isn't a bad villain, but from memory I don't recall WHY he absorbes people) dies.[footnote]"Love & Monsters" is the only 'New Who' episode that I have never rewatched since it was broadcast. I own the series 2 box set and I still will refuse to watch it[/footnote]. Also the comical farting? No.
Also the Doctor completely doesn't care that his magic computer virus (series 1; "World War 3") which was supposed to erase all mention of him, failed and there are still cults going around hunting him for autographs or whatnot.

There?s an elephant in the room, and it?s the idea of having oral sex with a disembodied head entombed within a stone slab. I tried my hardest to erase that from my mind but I failed.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
See, it's times like this when I'm reminded that I'm never going to like Doctor Who, because the fans are telling me explicitly not to like it. I mention my favorite episode that everyone agrees is great ("Blink") and I get chewed out because I liked a different episode as well that people didn't like.

Congrats, The Doctor is dead to me. Let's see him regenerate from that one. :/

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
I am not chewing you out, Chris... I just want to understand you.

Cuz frankly, you're baffling. :p

Come on, buddy. Tell me why you like the episode.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Chris Pranger said:
See, it's times like this when I'm reminded that I'm never going to like Doctor Who, because the fans are telling me explicitly not to like it. I mention my favorite episode that everyone agrees is great ("Blink") and I get chewed out because I liked a different episode as well that people didn't like.

Frankly, I didn't realize myself that so many people hated Love And Monsters until I started seeing stuff about Doctor Who on this site. I actually thought it was a fun little episode. Not the best and the little joke near the end was frankly a bit much. But I personally like it. Surprises me just how much people hate the episode to be honest. But oh well. To each their own.

Good look into the decision. I understand where Chris comes from in terms of the Doctor being somewhat unrelatable. While I disagree that the fact he's the sole survivor of a species is lost, I do think that they really do make the doctor seem like a god who people love instantly. Zoidberg does seem more like a flawed, likeable character. But he's intended to be more goofy. It seems as though it's easier to make a instantly likeable character like zoidberg when the character doesn't have to hold up the entire show like the Doctor.

KINGBeerZ

Apr 22, 2012
personally i really liked "Love and Monsters" i actually found the deaths of the people in that episode to be some of the saddest moments in the series because you got to know the characters, and Rose's mum trying to flirt was just hilarious.

Chris Pranger

Aug 31, 2011
KoDOmega said:

Okay, I may have been a bit dramatic there. Mid-morning naptime. :)

I enjoyed the episode because it adequately expressed the notion that The Doctor isn't a relateable character, nor should he be really. He's a god in some sense and when glimpsed only briefly, he really is something to be in awe of. It's very rare in the series when we get a chance to see The Doctor through the eyes of an outsider, essentially representing "us" (which is why "Blink" is a fantastic episode). Plus, I really got to like the main character of the episode and genuinely cared for his problems. I honestly didn't remember the part about comically overdone farts, absorption to butts, or ending with the implications of oral sex with a face slab. I just remember a really loveable Everyman being graced by The Doctor and still finding bittersweet true love.

So yeah, that's why I liked that strange episode. :D

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Chris Pranger said:

Yeah we aren't chewing you out, honest! If you like the episode then more power to you. But most of the Doctor Who community will take great joy in telling you why they thought "Love & Monsters" was bad.
It's just a weird choice of episode to say you like that's all. :D

Edit: For example I enjoy debating with my friends at work why "The Last of the Time Lords" is an awesome episode that actually works properly, while they debate that the whole psychic deus ex ending makes no sense, doesn't fit the universe and sucks. Everyone is going to like a different specific episode, just be prepared for others not to ;)

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
I'm sorry, but Dr. Zoidberg is disqualified. He went to medical school and practices medicine as a main profession, he is in all terms a medical doctor, even without an M.D.

KoDOmega

Nov 22, 2009
Chris Pranger said:
KoDOmega said:

Okay, I may have been a bit dramatic there. Mid-morning naptime. :)

I enjoyed the episode because it adequately expressed the notion that The Doctor isn't a relateable character, nor should he be really. He's a god in some sense and when glimpsed only briefly, he really is something to be in awe of. It's very rare in the series when we get a chance to see The Doctor through the eyes of an outsider, essentially representing "us" (which is why "Blink" is a fantastic episode). Plus, I really got to like the main character of the episode and genuinely cared for his problems. I honestly didn't remember the part about comically overdone farts, absorption to butts, or ending with the implications of oral sex with a face slab. I just remember a really loveable Everyman being graced by The Doctor and still finding bittersweet true love.

So yeah, that's why I liked that strange episode. :D
Okay, see, yeah, I get that! I fully understand that notion! I will admit, when you SEE all the farts and buttfaces and concrete BJ devices, you forget that, yeah, Elton's a fairly nice guy (though Jackie was fully justified in chewing him out). Personally, I feel the flaws outweigh the good points, but if you like it, I ain't gonna hate. I was just, again, baffled.

Now if you REALLY wanna see The Doctor's godhood status get torn to bits, you need to get yourself to series 6. When you see it, you'll know. :)

SuperSamio64

Nov 4, 2010
Dangit2019 said:
SuperSamio64 said:
KoDOmega said:
Yeah, but it was a bit better in the pilot episode for New Who where the conspiracy theory guy was ranting about it than the aforementioned oral sex with A CONCRETE SLAB.
I read in an article about the episode in one of my Doctor Who Magazines, and it included a quote from Russell T. Davies that said the 'joke' was unintentional, and he intended it to just meaning kissing or something.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Chris Pranger said:

I'm not sure it's healthy to let other people's opinions influence what you like and do not like so directly.
Actually, I don't even understand why what other people say has any influence on your preferences in such a way.
That's just absurd.

RobotDinosaur

Feb 27, 2012
I actually don't care about this debate much but want to applaud Chris for not liking Fallout 3 - I wasn't a fan of it either. Just started ME3, so I can't say yet whether I'll back you up on that, but I've also never been able to motivate myself to try Doctor Who, so, yeah, I find nothing wrong with your particular variety of 'geek.'