Sony Unleashes God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition

Marshall Honorof

Feb 16, 2011
Sony Unleashes God of War: Ascension Collector's Edition

A deluxe version of Kratos's next adventure offers swag and multiplayer bonuses.

If Sony isn't careful, it's going to run out of God of War stories to tell soon. plenty vault of Hephaestus [http://www.amazon.com/God-War-III-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QCS], but it'll probably please hardcore God of War early adopters.

In addition to an 8" statue of Kratos to glower at you from your desk while you're trying to be productive, the Collector's Edition sports a "Premium Steelbook case," presumably to fend off attacks from rival demigods. A digital soundtrack, PSN avatars, and PS3 themes come as no surprise, but multiplayer aficionados may be intrigued by the last two pieces of the mosaic. Ascension's Collector's Edition comes with a "Multiplayer Double XP Unlock" and a pass that entitles players to all future DLC at no extra cost. While it's not clear how long the double XP buff will last, a free DLC pass could easily pay for itself over the course of the game's lifetime.

Like its plainer analogue, the Ascension Collector's Edition will launch on March 12, 2013, although players will have to dish out $79.99 instead of the standard $59.99. Neither the Collector's Edition nor the pre-order bonus (for both versions of the game) appears to vary by retailer; like Kratos himself, Ascension pays little attention to the niceties of commerce, and is satisfied to dish out devastation equitably.

Source: Amazon [http://www.amazon.com/God-War-Ascension-Collectors-Playstation-3/dp/B0050SXCQ6]

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
Yeah, GoW3 ended up with pretty much all mythology. The prequel seems odd considering it seems to happen after he becomes the Ghost of Sparta (White skin) but before GoW1. I'm still not sure how that's gonna work out. And yet another game th...

Aw, who am I kidding?! I'm getting this! 80 bucks for a Collector's edition is a good deal nowadays. Heck, Arkham City's CE was $100 and it had less things than this one. Yeah, I know that was Batman and all, but still.

And I enjoy GoW as some sort of mindless, fun game. What can I say?

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
DVS BSTrD said:
What do we need to pay to get Mulan holding the Devil's pot of tea?
Only if you fall on your knee and sing at a bee.

OT: That a bad price to be honest, especially if you can have your own mini Kratos staring at you all growly.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Beautiful End said:
Yeah, GoW3 ended up with pretty much all mythology. The prequel seems odd considering it seems to happen after he becomes the Ghost of Sparta (White skin) but before GoW1.
They already did it with Chains of Olympus, since they never really specify how many years pass between him becoming the ghost of Sparta they could conceivably churn out prequels infinitely.

OT: I bought the CE for 3 because it came with that bitching Pandora's box, but I don't even know if I'm going to bother with this one. Multiplayer is just something that shouldn't exist in God of War. It reeks of a cheap cash-in with the multiplayer crammed in there because that's what everyone else is doing. First one was amazing, second one was great, and the third was okay. Since they're now having to devote resources to developing multiplayer I've a sinking feeling this fourth one will just bypass the "meh" stage and go straight to bad.

If I do get it, it will be when the price has dropped at least %50; why pay full price when I'm never going to touch half of the content?

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
That does sound pretty good. I think all Collector's Editions should come with a pass that lets people get the present and future DLC for free.

Truly-A-Lie

Nov 14, 2009
Between Chains of Olympus and the flashbacks in GoW1, I'm really not sure there's anything more in Kratos past we need to know. We're past the stage of prequels that fill in the blanks, and this game just seems like the realisation that they wrote an ending they couldn't open back up. They should just make a spiritual successor with a new protagonist and mythology.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I was really hoping that God of War IV would be about Norse or Egyptian mythology with new characters and a new story (albiet similar gameplay and themes to keep the series the series). Sony disappoints me by trying to hash more stories out of the one dimensional anger ball known as Kratos.

I don't think I'll be getting this game unless it's really critically acclaimed and highly recommended. I'm defiantly NOT getting the collectors edition of it.

P.S. I LOVE the Age of Mythology reference in the original post.