MGR: Revengeance DLC to Add a New Playable Character

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
MGR: Revengeance DLC to Add a New Playable Character

Could the DLC character be Snake? SNAKE? SNAAAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEE?

Kojima may have turned him into a break-dancing cyborg in Metal Gear Solid 4, but to many, Raiden is still the same mildly-grating, man-child who cartwheeled his way through Big Shell, thus ruining Metal Gear Solid 2 forever. Fortunately for them, Platinum Games has announced you can play as a different character in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, assuming you buy the post-launch DLC.

"Right now we don't have any plans for competitive online play or anything like that," Platinum Games producer, Yuji Korekado, told GameTrailers. "However, we do have plans for some downloadable content after the release of the game that will allow you to play as a different character or experience different types of missions."

So could the DLC character be aging mass-murderer, Solid Snake? Probably not, given that the last time we saw him, Snake resembled an extra from Last of the Summer Wine. One of the various robot ninjas who've cropped up throughout the series seems like an easy choice. Perhaps Grey Fox? Yes, he's dead, but Big Boss managed to turn up in MGS4 and he seemed remarkably well preserved for a man Snake has killed twice. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine someone scraped what was left of Frank Jaeger off of Metal Gear Rex's foot and put it through the clone-o-matic. Perhaps it could be one of Platinum Games' own characters, as the developer has no compunction about cross-pollinating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/trailers/4231-Anarchy-Reigns-TGS-Trailer] its franchises.

Korekado also confirmed that the pony-tailed, sword-wielding antagonist who pops up in the games' trailer isn't Vamp from the previous Metal Gear games, just someone who happens to look pretty much exactly like him. Good to know.

Source: GameTrailers [http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-metal-gear/731915]

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
Vamp? Noooo...that...
That's Lamp!
[color=f5f5f5]And cue the Anchorman jokes[/color]

This story is going to be a shoddy mess, even for Metal Gear standards. But I'll count this as one of those occasions where I won't care. Platinum makes some seriously fun games.

Steve Lovell

Apr 25, 2011
i am honestly having a hard time caring about this game, it just seems pointless to not let this be a game in its own right.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
I don't care if he's a puddle under Rex's foot, I wanna play as Grey Fox! I've wanted a Grey Fox game long before Rising was announced, basically right after finishing MGS1 because I thought GF was so badass.

Kojima doesn't seem to understand why GF is so cool though. It's not just because he's a kickass cyborg ninja (although that certainly helps) but because his character was really good. Same works for Raiden, he's not instantly a cool character now just because he can hack and slash 60 Gekkos in 60 seconds.

Anyway, enough bitching, I'm looking forward to playing this game.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Why THE FUCK are we planning and casually talking about planned DLC before the game is even released. YES, this will always ALWAYS bug the fuck out of me. No, there is no way in fuck that this will ever, EVER be a good idea. This is fucking wrong, people. Why the goddamn hell are we putting up with it?!

Stop it!!!

Give me one (good) reason why this won't be included in the actual game. Why do we have to pay more for this? Why are devs HATE us? WHY?!!

[sub]Granted the DLC could be completely free. Not sure why we're calling it DLC if that's the case (or talking about it already) but it might (just maybe) not be fucking us.
/rant[/sub]

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Revengeance? Is that even a word? Is it when the first vengeance doesn't stick and you have to do it again?

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
octafish said:
Revengeance? Is that even a word? Is it when the first vengeance doesn't stick and you have to do it again?
It is actually a proper word. Obsolete as betamax, but a word nonetheless.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Flailing Escapist said:
Why THE FUCK are we planning and casually talking about planned DLC before the game is even released. YES, this will always ALWAYS bug the fuck out of me. No, there is no way in fuck that this will ever, EVER be a good idea. This is fucking wrong, people. Why the goddamn hell are we putting up with it?!

Stop it!!!

Give me one (good) reason why this won't be included in the actual game. Why do we have to pay more for this? Why are devs HATE us? WHY?!!

[sub]Granted the DLC could be completely free. Not sure why we're calling it DLC if that's the case (or talking about it already) but it might (just maybe) not be fucking us.
/rant[/sub]
On the bright side, this is basically the developer claiming that the disc won't contain the complete game and thus we're encouraged to wait until the Complete Edition comes out. It'll probably be cheaper too!

MightyMole

Mar 5, 2011
I'm getting really sick of all this DLC... Before, when a developer wanted to do something silly/cool to share with the consumer, they would let you unlock costumes/characters for free in game... Now they start talking about how they are going to release it as DLC months before the game is even out on shelves... It's like the difference between "I wish I could see their faces when they unlock this!" and "I wish I could see their faces when they figure out they have to blow another $10 for this!"

What kind of world do we live in where this is acceptable...? Wake me up when this nightmare ends and we get good games again and don't have day 1 patches, always online DRM and/or day 1 DLC...

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
as previously stated, i always thought that they're pretty much obligated to put one bit of dlc in every game now because it's an industry standard (rule #1: we control the money, so we control the rules). it's either there and they get to make the game, or it's not and the money goes to some other game which has that dlc.

we just want somebody definitive to blame it on, really

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Flailing Escapist said:
Did the devs say that they had made this and were hanging it over our heads, slightly out of our reach unless we paid for it? Did they even say that it'll be launch day DLC? No, they didn't. The talk about DLC is probably because they have made plans to make some after finishing Rising. They need to plan ahead for what they have to do, so if DLC is part of that plan, that's fine. They need something to do during the long certification process, and if they plan what they want to do by designing it when the designers have some free time, that's also fine, as you want the programmers and art design people to keep busy, so if you lay out a plan first, you get your work done.

DLC does not need to be a bad word. Don't dismiss anyone who says their game will have DLC. They haven't said they're with holding content, but you automatically assume that. It's not right.

OT: Looking forward to it, depending on who they give us. I mean, they could give us anyone, Gray Fox, Vamp, Sam (The new Vamp), or even Snake again! Heck, maybe even Rose! That would be a laugh.

Calumon: But if she's fighting, she can't remind us what day tomorrow is! D:

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
"However, we do have plans for some downloadable content after the release of the game that will allow you to play as a different character or experience different types of missions."

Logically, I would take it as new missions that aren't in the game but. Grey Fox would be the logical source since, well, he's the other cyborg ninja but ideally, it would be awesome if the game was able to be played differently if they made DLC for the following larger-then-life characters like:

The only person who seems to be able to directly take on cyborg ninjas with so little but at the same playing field. Can use a shadow trapping combo with a blood sucking finale (or a flashy quick slice kills that lasts less then 3 seconds), drinks blood to regain health, taunts humanoid enemies on how attractive they are.

Who needs to find stingers when he has some missiles packed inside his suit and why do one need one blade when you can have two? I'd guess he steals enemies cores so he can keep his strength up or whatever. I do expect to be able to use P90s though.

Able to climb on about anything. Definitely the most reliance of stealth. Able to poison guards from afar if given the choice. Crawls so fast that guards have a hard time just trying to get a bead at him until it's too late. Regains stealth by putting fear into his enemies. Endgame combo is a barrage of poison arrows (don't want to figure out how).

I suppose I left quite a few other over-the-top characters but so far, I'm just taking a more realistic look at what P* can or willing to do with characters that can play a bit similar to Raiden. Going overboard and turning the Rising game into an home for all the characters that can turn those flashy cut-scenes into a reality would be super cool but for know, it's better not to get our hopes too up.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
They should do a bit of a crossover and make it the dude from Vanquish. Sam Gideon, I think his name was? Yeah. He's cool.

Or Bayonetta. Drop Bayonetta in. COME ON PLATINUM GAMES, IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A SEQUEL YOU CAN AT LEAST SPRINKLE CONFETTI OVER AN UNRELATED GAME

BBboy20

Jun 27, 2011
Andy of Comix Inc said:
They should do a bit of a crossover and make it the dude from Vanquish. Sam Gideon, I think his name was? Yeah. He's cool.
No. That job should be Max Anarchy's.

Or Bayonetta. Drop Bayonetta in. COME ON PLATINUM GAMES, IF YOU CAN'T MAKE A SEQUEL YOU CAN AT LEAST SPRINKLE CONFETTI OVER AN UNRELATED GAME
Compared to Vanquish, I would trust anybody else at the director's seat; let Kamiya finish up Project P-100 and then we'll see.

Brad Shepard

Sep 9, 2009
I had no problem with Raiden, He was one of my favorite characters in fact, So i will more then likely just keep playing as him.

Crankafoo

Mar 28, 2010
I think companies need to stop announcing DLC prematurely. It makes them look really bad when they do this. I think that even if they have DLC planned, they should wait until the game is out until announcing said DLC.

Dresos

Jun 17, 2011
My guess would be Solidus, I mean he is Raiden's stepfather so there's at least some connection.