Portal 2 Recognized for its Educational Potential

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Portal 2 Recognized for its Educational Potential

Educational designers hope to learn from Valve's popular puzzle-platformer.

This week is the 9th Annual Games For Change Festival, a conference addressing the unique potential and needs of educational games. During a talk yesterday about science learning games, GameGuru's Scott Kirk and EdGE's Jodi Asbell-Clarke addressed one of the biggest challenges educational games face: by and large, they simply aren't very fun. To fix this problem, many edutainment developers are looking to commercial games for lessons on player engagement. Valve in particular is mentioned for Portal's developer commentary, which contains incredibly detailed information on how to simultaneously engage players while orienting them to the game world.

"They're telling you why they built the pedagogy they did, what happened in the play-testing that gives you their level of learning," Asbell-Clarke explained to the audience. "I've been an educator for 20 years, and I learned so much from that game."

Valve isn't a stranger to the educational games industry. Valve President Gabe Newell was actually Portal 2's Perpetual Testing Initiative for use in the classroom. While it's easy to think of Portal as a fun game, to teachers it's also an entertaining way to get kids thinking about spatial reasoning, problem solving, and physical principles. There's even a chance these kids will go on to develop sentient A.I. that act more like Atlas and less like GLaDOS.

Valve's staff also attended the festival this year, where they held a workshop on how teaching kids science and math through Portal 2 would function in a classroom setting.

Sources: <a href=http://kotaku.com/5919745/can-portal-lead-to-better-educational-games>Kotaku

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oh, so thats what they were doing instead of E3.

Sad thing is that it was alot more interesting than E3 was this year.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
In other words, they are involved in a lot of stuff that isn't HL3.

On a serious note, thinking with portals is a vital merit for surviving infancy. I approve

Edit: Valve seem to be uninvolved with this. My mistake

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
That's great. And I agree, if edutainment games industry and overall pedagogic parties should learn from a video game, that would be Portal 2.