Bruce Campbell Gets Extreme For Amazing Spider-Man

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bruce Campbell Gets Extreme For Amazing Spider-Man

Bruce Campbell may be out of the Spider-Man films, but he's still in the new Spider-Man game.

Because of his tight connection to Sam Raimi - and for more insight on that, I heartily recommend his most excellent autobiography 2007 [http://www.amazon.com/If-Chins-Could-Kill-Confessions/dp/0312291450/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340383473&sr=8-1&keywords=If+Chins+Could+Talk], he did a turn as the Maître d'. Naturally, he also loaned his voice to the videogame tie-ins to all three movies. Yet while he's not going to appear in the upcoming reboot The Amazing Spider-Man, he's still going to turn up in the videogame.

Why? Because he's Bruce Campbell, I guess. The man has a great voice and the sort of vocal enthusiasm that's ideal for that sort of work, and he's got a lot of experience in the field, but I suspect that what it really comes down to is that everything - I mean everything - is better with Bruce.

Will the game itself be any good? Probably not; I don't mean to inject my own bias into the conversation but games based on movies have a well-established record of suck, and while I've heard that previous Spider-Man games haven't been entirely terrible, that's a pretty thin basis for optimism. Then again, where there's Bruce, there's hope.

The Amazing Spider-Man [http://www.amazon.com/Amazing-Spider-Man-microsoft-xbox-360/dp/B005VKRHGO/ref=sr_1_1_title_0?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1340384266&sr=1-1&keywords=Amazing+Spider-Man] comes out on June 26 for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Wii, DS and 3DS.

Dastardly

Imaginary Friend
Apr 19, 2010
Actually, you ought to check out Spider-Man 2. I played it for GameCube.

It remains one of the best superhero games I've ever played.

Basics: Yeah, the plot of the movie is in there... for about half. The other half is a sandbox Manhattan Island full of collectibles and random crimes and yadda yadda, standard stuff. But Treyarch absolutely nailed the web-swinging mechanics. It has never been so fun to travel around.

Then they did a ton of depressingly-linear games with Spider-Man. But to hear it told, this one is a return to the open-world form (for PS3 and 360, at least). I'm excited about this prospect.

Spider-Man 2 got it right by remembering why people play superhero games. It's the same reason they see superhero movies and read superhero comics. It's not the story. It's the hero. I don't want to play a Spider-Man game to "live the movie." I play a Spider-Man game so that I can be Spider-Man for awhile.

And that's what the game does. Here's Manhattan. Go be Spider-Man.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Who is this schmuck? He reminds me of that guy who plays Sam Axe on Burn Notice.
I honestly don't think I've heard of this guy so I'm not excited at all to hear that he's a voice actor in this game.

Joseph Harrison

Apr 5, 2010
I'm actually tempted to buy this game just because he's a voice actor in it.

Probably won't though, there hasn't been a good Spiderman game since Spiderman 2.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Andy Chalk said:
I don't mean to inject my own bias into the conversation but games based on movies have a well-established record of suck, and while I've heard that previous Spider-Man games haven't been entirely terrible, that's a pretty thin basis for optimism.
While I don't like much of what Activision has done with the franchise since, referring to the likes of Spider-Man 2 and Ultimate Spider-Man as not being entirely terrible should be criminal. Seriously, those are great games period. I'd say they're two of the best superhero games but there aren't enough good superhero games for that to mean anything.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Two reasons I am interested in this game:

Bruce Campbell
STAN FRAKKING LEE as a playable character

I seriously want this Spider man game to return to the standards of Spidey 2

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I really enjoyed the tutorial level of the first spider man game and that was entirely due to Bruce Campbell.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Dastardly said:
Actually, you ought to check out Spider-Man 2. I played it for GameCube.

It remains one of the best superhero games I've ever played.

Basics: Yeah, the plot of the movie is in there... for about half. The other half is a sandbox Manhattan Island full of collectibles and random crimes and yadda yadda, standard stuff. But Treyarch absolutely nailed the web-swinging mechanics. It has never been so fun to travel around.

Then they did a ton of depressingly-linear games with Spider-Man. But to hear it told, this one is a return to the open-world form (for PS3 and 360, at least). I'm excited about this prospect.

Spider-Man 2 got it right by remembering why people play superhero games. It's the same reason they see superhero movies and read superhero comics. It's not the story. It's the hero. I don't want to play a Spider-Man game to "live the movie." I play a Spider-Man game so that I can be Spider-Man for awhile.

And that's what the game does. Here's Manhattan. Go be Spider-Man.
Spider-Man 2 is a great game. We feel like we ARE Spider-man. And, as a little bonus, we hear, for much of the game, the soothing voice of Bruce THE FREAKING MAN Campbell :)

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
Rednog said:
Who is this schmuck? He reminds me of that guy who plays Sam Axe on Burn Notice.
I honestly don't think I've heard of this guy so I'm not excited at all to hear that he's a voice actor in this game.
Funny :) love your avatar by the way ;)

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Interesting point: when my friends and I sat down to watch Dusk Till Dawn 2: Texas Blood Money, we were delighted to see Bruce Campbell. Jokingly, one friend said, "Wow, if Bruce is in this film it will be amazing. Of course if he gets killed off right away it will suck."

Well, he died a minute later and the film is atrocious. Bruce Campbell is a legend, simple as.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
Spider-man games have had a pretty good track record so far with Spider-Man 2, Ultimate Spider-Man, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions. And this one is looking to be as good as Spider-Man 2, which was pretty spectacular.

And as for video-game tie-ins, there are a few worth note games that did deliver like the previously mentioned movie games, Captain America: Super Soldier and more.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Akalabeth said:
Rednog said:
Uh . . he's like the king of B-movies. Ever heard of Evil Dead series? Or, Army of Darkness? He's the lead.
go back, and look at his avatar

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Sam Axe vs. Spider Man, gogogo.

In all seriousness though, I never realized he was in any of the Spider Man movies at all. Learn something new every day, I guess.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Dude, you forgot the exception to the rule.

Spiderman 2 (with tutorial voiced by Bruce Campbell I believe) is one of the few great film to game adaptations. This has a chance at least of being good

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Will the game itself be any good? Probably not
NAO! (denial). No nononononono! D:

Please no. I'm really hoping for another Spiderman 2.

As i've said in another thread, if this game sucks, I will kill someone.

If the movie sucks, I will drown 3 baby hamsters :mad:

Logie--bear

TARDIS Stalker
Feb 2, 2008
BrotherRool said:
Dude, you forgot the exception to the rule.

Spiderman 2 (with tutorial voiced by Bruce Campbell I believe) is one of the few great film to game adaptations. This has a chance at least of being good
See the sad part for me when people talk about the Spider-man 2 game, is I was an idiot and picked it up on PC. My god the controls were HIDEOUS.