Harmonix Dev: Embrace Kinect's Problems To Achieve Success

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Harmonix Dev: Embrace Kinect's Problems To Achieve Success

Dance Central designer knows that Kinect has issues, but they can be built around.

Ryan Challinor of Harmonix is no stranger to Kinect game design. He's been deeply involved since the days of Dance Central, a launch title for the platform. Understanding the limitations of the device is key, he says, to creating a good Kinect game. Without that basic level of knowledge, a designer's liable to waste a lot of time trying experiments that were never going to work, and that can kill a title's chances.

Latency is, of course, the show-stopper. A certain degree of latency is inevitable, even if it can only be measured in milliseconds. Rather than somehow bludgeon your way through that design issue, Challinor recommends hiding the problem, as he is doing with Dance Central 3 by pulsing images over the on-screen action in time with the beat. "That helps reinforce the beat a bit and hide the latency," he says, "so that's been successful for us."

By all means show feedback, since that links the player emotionally with the on-screen action. But Challinor believes that what you mustn't do is simulate the button presses that the player may have become used to. In a sense it's the latency problem again in a different context; the player will look for an immediate reaction to his action - the button press - and he won't get it. "It's like once you've done the thing," Challinor says, "you don't get the immediate feedback that you're connected with what's happening." Instead, when the action is initiated the game should generate a canned animation to give an on-screen response to the player. It's the problem with a one-to-one map that isn't really one-to-one; there needs to be a workaround, and canned animation is it. "That's a tough balance. I think [animation is] a successful approach, though."

That's why Dance Central works the way it does. Music provides the beat, which can then be used to springboard the pulsing images needed to hide latency issues. Animation rather than a one-to-one map does the rest. This does suggest that there are certain kinds of game styles that are never going to work with Kinect. "If you wanted to have shooting," he said, "you can't really pull a trigger with Kinect. Those kind of discreet actions, you have that latency there. But like if when your hand is held up, every beat it fires, then that is something that makes a lot of sense [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb58beleiqg]."

Ultimately the only way to really make this work is to abandon what might be considered traditional design, and embrace the quirks that come with Kinect. As Challinor describes it, "you can't really take a game and then put Kinect onto it. You need to start from the simplest interaction, and then build a game on top of this interaction that works. Sort of bottom-up design."

Dance Central 3, one of Challinor's latest Harmonix creations, is due out this fall.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172585/Kinect_game_design_tips_from_Dance_Centrals_designy_coder.php]

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
Well Dance central 2 was a hell of a lot of fun, I seriously hope that 3 is good too.

*Braces for kinect hate*

I certainly like his approach to designing around problems.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
I hope everyone is listening to this man. I was telling my friends something similar back when we were calling this thing Natal. I think the Kinect is a waste of time now, but I see no reason why a Kinect game can't be fun, engrossing, or even deep. But it would have to be a very different game then we are playing now with a whole new approach.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
Read to the second paragraph. Basically got "Hide the inevitable problems with broken hardware by distracting stupid people with flashy images."

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
ThePS1Fan said:
Read to the second paragraph. Basically got "Hide the inevitable problems with broken hardware by distracting stupid people with flashy images."
A lot of gaming wizardry is basically this though, so I don't see why it's wrong if it actually works.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ThePS1Fan said:
so...80% of gaming, period.

ThePS1Fan

Dec 22, 2011
weirdguy said:
A lot of gaming wizardry is basically this though, so I don't see why it's wrong if it actually works.
Zachary Amaranth said:
so...80% of gaming, period.
Well yeah I guess, but it's like when EA says something about how they love their broken business practices. We all know companies do these things but we still get on EA for the smug satisfaction they have about doing it.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
But unlike ripping the hell off of everybody for shit that only serves to give them more money for the wrong reasons so that they can do it again and again (of which this practice's only reason to exist is to be evil), this is being forced to work with limited hardware to make good experiences, much like....EVERYBODY since the inception of game development.

If it is fun, if it is quality entertainment, then there is no reason I have to rail against it unless this process is inherently harmful as a whole, and somebody who takes the time to make sure something is fun instead of pitching a halfassed piece of shit and calling it a day...they're the people we need. This isn't corruption, it's innovation. :p