Next Super Smash Bros. Gets a New Developer

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Next Super Smash Bros. Gets a New Developer

Nintendo is handing the next two games of its blockbuster franchise to an unexpected developer.

Last year, Nintendo announced that its flagship fighting series Super Smash Bros. would be coming to both the Wii U and the 3DS for its next installment. Series creator Masahiro Sakurai admitted that his studio, Sora, would not be ready to begin work on the new project until the game they were then working on, Kid Icarus: Uprising, was finished. Now, Nintendo has revealed that development has begun in earnest, with an unexpected lead developer: Namco Bandai.

The decision may not be as strange as it first sounds. "All the top creators from Namco Bandai are gathered here to create a never-before-seen dream team for this project," boasts Namco's Masaya Kobayashi. While Sakurai will continue to supervise development, he will be joined by Namco veterans like Yoshito Higuchi, producer and director of the Tales series, and Tetsuya Akatsuka, producer and director of Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. The main development staff of the Tekken franchise will also be working on the project, with Sakurai's Sora studio assisting in development.

Sora was planning on developing a 3DS Super Smash Bros. title following Kid Icarus, but the announcement of the Wii U opened a new door for the studio. Because a dual-platform title would have been an ambitious goal for Sora alone, it instead recruited Namco, which has plenty of experience developing fighting games. "Currently, the prototype prepared by Namco Bandai Games and Namco Bandai Studios' special team looks pretty good," says Sakurai. "In order to take advantage of the fact that there will be versions for two different systems, and to maximize and offer fun new gameplay elements, the entire team is going to work hard together."

The previous Smash Bros. game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, was also a joint effort from multiple developers. While some fans have voiced concerns about bringing Namco Bandai onto the project, Sakurai has defended the decision at least once [http://kotaku.com/5920460/smash-bros-creator-wants-you-to-stop-mocking-namco] on Twitter, telling a doubtful fan to "Knock off looking down on them with narrow-minded thinking."

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5920428/just-how-much-of-the-new-smash-bros-is-namco-a-lot-apparently]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Obligatory: Nightmare for Smash 4! Lloyd for Smash 4! Jin for Smash 4! Pac-Man for Smash 4!

ok, now that that's out of the way: I think this could end up working for the best. A team that is very experienced making fighting games working along with the guys that made the original games. Maybe this time around we can have better character balance. Also, Namco actually has good DLC practices, so we don't have to expect $5 new character DLC.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Um, Ninty? Remember what happened the last time you handed one of your beloved. most popular franchises to an outside developer?

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Pretty hard to mess up Super Smash Bros to be honest,just take out that random slip n fall thing and we'll be good. That said, this one game alone is not enough to make me interested in WIIU, get a good online and then we'll talk.

Dec 14, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
Um, Ninty? Remember what happened the last time you handed one of your beloved. most popular franchises to an outside developer?
Yeah.

OT: Will be interesting to see how this pans out in terms of game mechanics.

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Does this mean we will get Pokémon vs Digimon? Agumon vs Pikachu?

Calumon: And I can come in for his final smash and make him stronger? :D

Jack: I WANT TO BUY THIS!

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
As long as the next one isn't quite a pain in the ass.

Loved the original, loved melee...but Brawl.

Eh :/.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Well, I was a little anxious when I saw the thread title, but Namco seems like a good choice. Hopefully they the term "dream team" used here really is appropriate.

I'm optimistic, as Sakurai does have a track record of "knowing his shit"

him over there

Dec 17, 2011
Gearhead mk2 said:
Daystar Clarion said:
Yeah.

Hey, I said the last time, which was Other M. But I get your point. Just worried about the franchise.
Hey the combat in Other M, the part Team Ninja were responsible for was pretty decent. Other M's story and exploration elements, the parts Nintendo had a hand in were the terrible parts.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Now, I know a lot of people here are saying that this is a good thing, but for me, for some reason, I am a little worried now... I dunno, maybe it's because I played the Namco-Bandai-Nintendo "Mario Kart Arcade" game, maybe it's Metroid Other M, but something isn't clicking right with me here...

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Hmm... consider me optimistic. Nintendo handing it's franchises over to other developers has had mixed results in the past (as previously stated with the whole Metroid thing), but I genuinely think this could work out.

I'm mostly curious about what kind of roster it'll have this time around.

Captcha: don't waste time

Indeed, don't waste any time bringing this to us, kay?

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
you guys know Other M is the only outside developed Nintendo game right? We got Diddy Kong Racing, Oracle of Ages, Oracle of Seasons, and Minish Cap, all of which are extremely awesome

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
Gearhead mk2 said:
What about all the Zelda games by Capcom? Or Metroid and DK from Retro?
The real issue is finding a good match for the material.