249: From Fanfiction to Just Fiction

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I haven't done any writing in a long time, and I suppose that using some established characters and adding in a few of my own is a method, as long as I try to avoid a lot of the usual pitfalls.

Aug 25, 2009
I had been writing for about three years when I started my first fanfiction (An atrocious Draco Malfoy thing which I now quite rightly disown)

It did improve my writing though, because I found out very quickly what other people liked and didn't like about my style (for example, my dialogue needed a lot of work. 5 more years to be precise.) It wasn't just the writing part of it, it was the community driven aspect, where other people would read it and comment on it. It was an experience unlike anything else I've ever been through.

I love fanfiction, and I'm still writing it today, and it's still sparking new ideas for me. An idea for a KP Betty Director fanfic I'm working on has now given me a whole plan for an Original Story with a similar character.

And of course, any time Fanfiction is mentioned, it's shameless MZ plug time. Visit fanfiction.net and check out my username (MelasZepheos) for Kim Possible fanfction.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
One day, most writers will probably have started their works with fanfiction. But until then we'll keep laughing at you ;-)

Seriously, though, the other day I found out that someone had published a book by Kafka called 'The Office Writings' (or something like it). It's a collection of Kafka's works... that is, things he wrote on his job. So it's just a bunch of memos about insurance and containers. Of course, it's just a way to milk money off a ridiculously famous writer that has been dead for decades and only became famous after he was already dead. But then I realized, imagine a famous writer from, say 2025. What is he writing right now? What is it that people will publish in 2125 to cash in on his fame?

...Yeah, actually I thought that author would have written several snappy videogame FAQs. Sorry. But the concept is the same.

I had the idea of setting a world in the near future and have someone read that book, a collection of videogame FAQs by someone who became a famous writer later. And so each chapter would be prefaced with an excerpt from a video game FAQ. If you ever find a book that does that, it means I got out of my lazy ass and started writing[footnote]Well, OK, writing actually involves sitting on my lazy ass. You got the idea.[/footnote]. Or that someone saw this and stole my idea. That bastard.

MorkFromOrk

Sep 9, 2007
I think the appeal of fan-fiction to budding writers is that much of the framework is already in place. I've been considering doing some fan-fiction myself, if for anything because I think some of the video games I've played could be expanded upon greatly.

leviathanmisha

Jun 21, 2009
I've dabbled in many fandoms over the year, but the one constant is that they're all anime fandoms. I've also learned a lot in my 5 years of writing, that nothing ever comes out perfect the first time around. I found some notebooks from the 8th grade and I just groaned when I read what I had written...so few details and so many grammatical errors!!! (Yes, me, a grammar nazi had shitty grammar at one point, but didn't we all?) I compared to to my writing now and I was pleased with my growth and development as a writer, but I'm still learning.

So, I think I'm going to go open word and write a little...my OC is calling for me to hit something with a hockey stick!

DethVanXan

Arch Inquisitor
Nov 23, 2009
This is exactly what I'm doing. When I started writing fanfics it was laughably bad, now it's improved greatly and I've nearly broken my first 100,000 word story.
FanFiction is definatly an underrated way of improving your skill at writing.

Girlysprite

Nov 9, 2007
As for the concern of mary Sue or not Mary Sue, I would not let it become a leading notion. lead characters often have Mary Sue traits, even in original published works. Just look at Naruto and Sasuke. Special powers, teen angst, exclusion in their past, it's all there. Though people don't seem to be too bothered about it. And don't even get me started on Goku from DragonballZ. Also outside manga/anime...look at captain Kirk or captain Picard - also Marty Sues if you look at it. And Harry Potter (I mean, the original, not as displayed in fandom) is also very Sue.
The trick is not to overdo it though.

But knowledge of such characters and the inherent plot flaws that come with them is good to have. Knowing what makes characters Mary Sues helps you steer around it, and it serves as a reminder to add flaws to a character, as those are interesting to play with.

The Mary Sue issue has stopped me from writing fanfic again. I like certain characters enough, and sometimes I make little doddle stories in my head, which I enjoy. Important is that I know that I would likely be the only one to enjoy that story, as it is very flawed. Some stories don't need to be shared.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I myself write fanfics and want to become a published writer, but I still feel I need to work on my writing skills a bit more. And Mary Sues/Marty Stus are an issue for me, especially since I happen to like/tolerate characters that have been labelled as such (though I still hate the Twilight series with a burning passion). But yeah, I still want to make improvements to my writings and become a better writer, and fanfic writing is a good way to do it... as long as one doesn't go overboard.

William Brayton

Apr 8, 2010
I've been writing what I would loosely call a fanfic of Half Life 2 through Episode 2 called No Life. I say loosely because I try to stay as canon with the Half Life Universe without actually mentioning the main characters such as Alyx Vance or Gordon Freeman too much. I actually use real people(myself included, ego thing...) as the main characters and have the setting outside Philadelphia leading to inside it. I've been working on it for two years, the first year was an EXTREMELY rough copy and I scrapped most of it to start from scratch, the result of which I'm starting to like. I don't know what I'm gonna do with it, but my friends have gotten really interested, enough they bought the original Half Life for their PC/Macs so they know what the hell happened. Once they all beat the original Half Life and its expansion Opposing Forces(I use shepard a lot as a sort of past role model sort of thing), I'm gonna buy them all the Half Life 2 pack which has Episode 1 and 2 in them. But I went off topic, I don't know if I'm classified under fanfic because I usually think of fanfics using the original characters and twisting the story to ask what if. I'm writing the story as a different point of view on another side of Earth.

Here is the actual site with the introduction and first 4 chapters, albeit un-edited because I can't access the FREAKIN' SITE but oh well...I'm working on chapter 6 now.
http://sites.google.com/site/nolifestoryproject/

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
just reading some fan fiction can make your life better:

http://img293.imageshack.us/my.php?image=amazingsobaditsgood.jpg

unacomn

Mar 3, 2008
"Can Fanfiction Make You a Better Writer?"

Yes, but only while writing it. The best things I've ever written were fan-fiction of Lord of the Rings and Diablo. That's because I already had an established medium, with set limits, stages, characters, continuity. Everything was there, all I had to do was weave them in a way I liked.

When writing original work, I always fall in to the vicious circle of reiterating. I don't have a style set in stone, a limit, or actually a perfect ending. So I feel compelled to rewrite, improving the quality, the detail, but delaying to the point where I've written hundreds of pages in 5 years, all of them being rewrites of the same 30 pages I started with years ago.
Fan-fiction is a lot easier.

AquaAscension

Sep 29, 2009
Practice in writing is no different (theoretically) from practicing football, martial arts, guitar. The more one does something, the more quickly one will find it easier to do that same thing and, generally, the better one will get. I think that fan fiction could be a good start because you typically will have at least some basic characters set up from which you can draw inspiration. It's kind of the same as learning Stairway to Heaven or Iron Man or Smoke on the Water on guitar. Yeah, you're not really doing anything original or impressive anymore, but you are learning how to move your hands across the fretboard and also chords and rhythm and all that other good stuff. I want to say writing is slightly different, but I'm not sure that I can.

Anyhow, the real reason that I first started this post was because the picture is off just slightly. The person pictured is left handed, which isn't the "wrong part", but it appears that she's writing from right to left. Is it silly to notice that?

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
in theory fan fiction can make you a better writer. however, most write pure unadulterated crap.

Otterpoet

Jun 6, 2008
As a professional writer, I can say writing fan-fiction is like exercise; by doing it, you strengthen your skills.

However, you still need a basic understanding of plot, character development, and pacing. Otherwise, all the 'exercise' in the world won't take you that far. And frankly, a great number of fan-fiction writers haven't a clue how to structure a good story. Yeah, sure, you can write 180+ pages about Final Fantasy, but if it's 180+ pages of purple fan-worship... then you've wasted your time.

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Top Tip: Never write tie-in fan fiction

For example, never write a story about Han Solo or Vader or Yoda. But by all means write about original characters being involved in the wider story somewhere else. Perhapes a rebel stationed on Hoth who goes AWOL and gets into all sorts of shenanigans when his wife stops writing to him and he thinks she's been killed/kidnapped by the Empire

You do not know the intricities of the 'original cast'. You THINK you do, but that's only because you understand why they reacted in certain situations. Put them in a new, interesting situation and you won't have a clue about where they go next

I used to write stories set in the Warhammer world. It was a lot of fun.

I remember when I was REALLY little (6 or 7), I'd read a book, find it awesome and want more of the same, and basically rewrite the book AGAIN but with different characters and no real plot. For example, I took the Indian in the Cupboard and basically turned it into a really mundane Toy Soldiers. But I loved writing it, because I was getting more of the story I enjoyed

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
Actually, The best Fanfic I ever read was Neon Gensis Evvangeilon: RE-Take.

It started out as sex and then became...something of love(?)

Actually, there is a lot of Fanfiction authors who written something horrid, but learns something new. I learn how to developed characters through pain and understanding, how to tease readers, hopw to write a 'proper fight scene,' and many other things.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Practice will almost always better a skill. Fanfic is indeed excellent practice for a writer.

However, whether they realize it or not, fanfic authors in general aren't practicing the skill of writing; they are practicing skill in application of the writer's most important tool: the waste basket. Whether they realize this important fact determines if they will ever cross the border to full fiction.

Redd the Sock

Apr 14, 2010
I see it as fanfiction can make you a better writer like guitar hero can make you a musician: you can pick up a few essential skills, but miss out on a lot of other necessary ones.

Even at its most distasteful self indugent level, at least a writer can work on structure and writing style, something that can make or break a book. Those that get beyond shipping and forcing crossovers can get into plotting and pacing. You can even pick up a very essential skill for many writers: writing other people's characters, and unless you're very lazy in writing, sticking to a set of established rules.

Lost is worldcraft and character design until you start throwing in your own ideas for characters and settings, which can get messy. I've found Mary Sues hard to avoid, but moreso sometimes so much original work gets used the original source for the fic can be lost. Think Fiunal Fantasy: The Spirits Within level of connection to the source material.