249: From Fanfiction to Just Fiction

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
What a motivating article... Just what I needed for an excuse to continue my excursion into Fan Fictions. They've not only helped me get a grasp of the writing basics, but provided me with a playground that enabled me to create my own original setting and characters.

I'd tip my hat to you, though since I don't currently wear one I'll just have to leave it at that.

LadyPhera

Feb 15, 2011
I've seen this article come up every now and then, but haven't actually read it until now. I'm glad I did. I could say how I've also done many of these things, mary sues, bad fanfictions, terrible crossovers. They aren't my favorite things to look back on, and even the last fanfic I did as a gift makes me laugh because of how terrible it is. The funnier thing is that people liked it! Nowadays I focus on original works, but I haven't gotten to rewriting my rough drafts yet. Thank you for sharing your own journey. I think I will be resuming my own soon.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
Finally, someone else made a case for this besides me. I'm going to bookmark this article and show it to my friend the next time he goes on about how I should 'be writing better things with my time' and how 'everyone knows fanfiction is for retards'.

Dillonxh

Apr 10, 2012
I started creatively writing when I came up with my own fan-fiction for "The Bartimaeus Trilogy". I created several fanfics based on stuff like anime's and books, and from that I managed to develop some of the most important characters in my book!