Dropbox Cripples Tech Startup Over Piracy Fears

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Dropbox Cripples Tech Startup Over Piracy Fears

Dropbox has effectively killed the Boxopus startup because it could possibly be perceived as encouraging piracy.

Boxopus [http://www.boxopus.com/] isn't the sort of new technology that's going to change the world, but it does have the potential to make it a whole lot more convenient for a lot of people. It allows users to download torrents directly to their Dropbox account without the need for a separate client, a feature attractive enough to boost its user count to over 50,000 when word of the still-new software got out over the weekend. But today that's all ground to a halt, because Dropbox has pulled the plug - or, somewhat more precisely, closed the door.

"It's come to our attention that latest Boxopus features could be perceived as encouraging users to violate copyright using Dropbox," the Boxopus team was told earlier today. "Violating copyright is against our terms of service, so we are terminating your app's API access. Once your access is revoked, any API calls your app makes will fail."

The revocation of access blindsided the Boxopus team not only because it's complying with all DMCA requirements but also because Dropbox had "explicitly approved" an alpha version of the software just weeks prior. "Once the alpha version was approved we were pretty sure that Dropbox was okay with it, so we put our efforts into optimizing the service," the head of the Boxopus team said. "It took us three months to finish the product with a team of five people, which was a $30,000 investment."

There's no question that BitTorrent and piracy go hand-in-hand, but the developer said that "a lot of interesting legal can be found in BitTorrent networks and this is what Boxopus is made for." And ultimately, Boxopus, like Dropbox itself, is a technology; issues of legality should emerge not from what it is, but from how it's used. Of course, the same thing could be said about Megaupload and we all know what happened there [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115362-UPDATE-Feds-Take-Down-Megaupload].

The Dropbox decision is apparently final, so the Boxopus group is now trying to salvage what it can by partnering with other cloud storage services.

Source: TorrentFreak [http://torrentfreak.com/dropbox-bans-bittorrent-startup-boxopus-over-piracy-concerns-120626/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Torrentfreak+%28Torrentfreak%29]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I feel bad for those guys. Makes me wish dropbox wasn't so damn convenient... >.>

The Grim Ace

May 20, 2010
The same argument about piracy coul be made about Dropbox in general, way to not overreact. Though, with how witchhunty things are getting lately involving copyright, I understand the overreaction.

JuliusMagnus

Mar 23, 2008
BitTorrent and Piracy go hand in hand the same way as Public Roads and the drug trade go hand in hand.

Surprisingly, the use of public roads by criminals to traffic drugs hasn't yet led to the shutdown of public roads.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
JuliusMagnus said:
BitTorrent and Piracy go hand in hand the same way as Public Roads and the drug trade go hand in hand.

Surprisingly, the use of public roads by criminals to traffic drugs hasn't yet led to the shutdown of public roads.
That is a very apt analogy.

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
JuliusMagnus said:

Yeah but corporate giants don't lose money because of drug trade, quite the opposite in fact.

jon_sf

Nov 12, 2010
JuliusMagnus said:

It would be a more apt analogy if 90% of all traffic [http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/40619-research-confirms-90-percent-of-bittorrent-breaches-copyrightresearch-confirms-90-percent-of-bittorrent-breaches-copyright] on public roads was being used for drug trade.

I agree BitTorrent is awesome technology, and that it has a lot of legit uses. Therefore, it shouldn't be banned outright. But I think it's disingenuous to ignore the fact that its biggest use is for trade of copyrighted media.

LGC Pominator

Feb 11, 2009
I am actually okay with this.

Not that I agree with the ideal entirely, in fact quite the opposite, (pirateparty UK member and all that), however given that dropbox is a freely provided convenient service, they do have the right to dictate what they allow on their system.

I certainly think that the idea is cool, and as soon as I read about boxtopus I was like "ooh! That sounds useful!", that being said however, if dropbox doesn't want it to be used on their service then I wont hold it against them, however if other cloud storage solutions suddenly become a lot more popular, whilst theirs dips as a result of them taking this action, I similarly will not be perturbed by the news, that is literally the effect of the invisible hand of the free market, that thing that the right wing loves to bang on about so much.

Andrew_C

Mar 1, 2011
jon_sf said:
JuliusMagnus said:

It would be a more apt analogy if 90% of all traffic [http://www.itwire.com/it-policy-news/regulation/40619-research-confirms-90-percent-of-bittorrent-breaches-copyrightresearch-confirms-90-percent-of-bittorrent-breaches-copyright] on public roads was being used for drug trade.

I agree BitTorrent is awesome technology, and that it has a lot of legit uses. Therefore, it shouldn't be banned outright. But I think it's disingenuous to ignore the fact that its biggest use is for trade of copyrighted media.
Around 95% of all email sent is spam, but email is too useful a technology to abandon, so various techniques where developed that catch the vast majority of it before it hits your inbox. Why can't something similar be developed for bittorrent?

Also, Dropbox provides nothing that other Cloud Storage providers don't. They just have a remarkably talented PR team. Boxopus could go with Box.net and not even bother changing names.

I am surprised they built their product around one Cloud Storage provider, though. And if they had to default to one provider, why not build thier own Amazon Cloud? Most Cloud Storage providers are just reselling Amazon Cloud.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
The more I read the more I am convinced that Dropbox doesn't have any inkling what it's doing.
Come on, you're usually so much better than this ... even if octopi had ink, it'd be a tenuous connection.
You could have said they'd have opened themselves up to a torrent of abuse.

9thRequiem

Sep 21, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
9thRequiem said:
DVS BSTrD said:
The more I read the more I am convinced that Dropbox doesn't have any inkling what it's doing.
Come on, you're usually so much better than this ... even if octopi had ink, it'd be a tenuous connection.
You could have said they'd have opened themselves up to a torrent of abuse.
Actually they do, but I've been feeling rather unappreciated here as of late.
Your puns are always appreciated - pretty much any news post I'll scroll down on a pun-search before reading the post itself ...

Thaliur

Jan 3, 2008
May I ask what would be so great about downloading torrents to an online storage? You would have to download them anyway to actually do anything with the files.

It would make sense for throttled downloads like Rapidshare and the like, but Torrents?

Jun 23, 2008
Is it me, or is it getting cold [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chilling_effect_%28law%29] in here?

238U[footnote]"Orgy-porgy, Ford and fun,
Kiss the girls and make them One.
Boys at 0ne with girls at peace;
Orgy-porgy gives release."
-- Brave New World, chapter 5, Aldus Huxley[/footnote]

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
It's sad that "torrent" is becoming synonymous with "piracy"...
It's a great way to archive files that would otherwise be lost forever.
It's an incredible way for smaller/poorer companies to offer faster downloads without having to go broke over bandwidth costs. Heck, Torrents are usually just plain faster regardless of what the server is like!

You don't tear down highways because thieves might drive on them.

Edit: Would help if I read the comments, someone beat me to this last line already <.<

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
Sounds more like over lawyer fears to me.

I'm guessing there's been some high priced legal bullying going on behind closed doors.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Don't make me switch to an alternative, Dropbox... this is its second strike after the discontinuation of public folders.