Google Brings LEGO to Your Browser

kitsuta

<Clever Title Here>
Jan 10, 2011
Google Brings LEGO to Your Browser

Play with LEGO blocks in a new persistant world styled after Google Maps.

Google Australia has partnered with LEGO to release Build [http://www.buildwithchrome.com/], a virtual LEGO construction simulator that runs inside browsers such as Google Chrome (of course) and Mozilla Firefox. Build features a virtual world of player-made LEGO creations that can be viewed in full 3D as soon as they are finished. Any player can pick a plot of land that's not already claimed and begin building their virtual plastic brick masterpiece.

The virtual world players build in is mapped against the real one, including roads, rivers, and parks. Terrain is not carried over, however, so every plot is completely flat. The overall setup and controls are similar to Google Maps, allowing players to explore the map to find other players' creations. Australia and New Zealand are the only maps available for the time being, but the team hopes to expand the borders soon.

The launch of Build coincides with the 50th anniversary of LEGO in Australia - not to be confused with the US 50th LEGO anniversary four years ago - as well as the LEGO Festival of Play, a nine-month campaign launched in April. The Google Australia team have encouraged players to post their creations to the team's Google+ page, promising to re-share the most inventive.

While virtual LEGO blocks may not replace the tactile feel of the real version, most players don't have Build's library of over 8 trillion blocks, so it probably evens out.

Source: Geekosystem [http://google-au.blogspot.com/2012/06/build-bringing-lego-bricks-to-chrome.html]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
LEGOs will always hold a place in my heart. Thank you for telling me about this and thank you Google Australia.
*off to go and play with Build*

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
First Lego making Minecraft sets now a Minecraft-like Lego builder.
Brace yourselves, there is something coming...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Quaxar said:
First Lego making Minecraft sets now a Minecraft-like Lego builder.
Brace yourselves, there is something coming...
Lego tileset in Minecraft? Lego buying Mojang?
I mean, the first thing that I thought of when I saw this was "people are already doing this in Minecraft".

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
Wow... so cute. <3
*goes back killing Zombies and Creeper*

It's really nice, but it's useless compared to Minecraft.

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
I forsee many hundreds of lego todgers littering the virtual austrailian countryside.

Also, someone get on top of building a giant can of Fosters. I would do it myself but I'm about as creative as an EA marketing exec.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
BiH-Kira said:
Wow... so cute. <3

It's useless compared to all the games minecraft 'borrowed' from and is misattributed for. Hell, those games borrowed from lego itself.

Stravant

May 14, 2011
Wait, so it doesn't include the realism of having your foot feel like it's been chopped in half every time you step on a brick?

Boooooooooooring D:

Clearing the Eye

Jun 6, 2012
BiH-Kira said:
Wow... so cute. <3

I think it's more than a little foolish to describe something as useless, simply because another product has previously used similar elements (elements borrowed from Lego, mind). Where one is a digital sandpit, the other is a pile of blocks. While ultimately serving the same purpose--to entertain through imaginative construction--they are different tools.

Or would you wish to argue that Halo is useless because Doom made an electronic version of shooting first?

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
BiH-Kira said:
Wow... so cute. <3

No, no. To someone like me, this is a Minecraft simulator, where I can create a blueprint of what I would like to do on Minecraft without having to download hefty simulators onto my poor computer.

I was actually looking for something like this a few weeks ago. Genius.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
As a a Sydney-sider and a lego-lover I can say that this makes me very happy indeed.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
DVS BSTrD said:
That's incredible!
Australia FINALLY got a game first!
Hey, our school holidays come earlier than America's so we've been getting films earlier for what seems like ages. Getting a game first doesn't bother me. What bothers me is getting a game half a year post initial release date. ...or never. That sucks, too.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
Ooh! I do love lego! It's one of my favourite things ever!!! Fingers crossed for Star Wars parts to be involved at some point! :p

Also, is it essentially just a port of their builder that already exists on their website?

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Hm. I tried it out but only had access to a dozen blocks or so. Or is that a trial version? Is there a paid-for version to go along with it?

Imthatguy

Sep 11, 2009
mysecondlife said:
Oh wow. Lot of interesting news today.

..and Library of 8 trillion blocks?? Holy crap..
EXPLAIN THINE SELF

Im somewhat underwhelmed. I only get 1000 blocks and then only the basic types?