Kaz Hirai Steps Down as Sony's Director and Chairman

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Kaz Hirai Steps Down as Sony's Director and Chairman

Kaz Hirai is to focus on his role as President after a reshuffle at Sony.

Kaz Hirai, master of all things PlayStation-related, has retired as representative director and chairman of Sony Computer Entertainment. This follows on his promotion in April to President and CEO of Sony, and likely represents a refocus for Hirai away from his former duties and towards his new position as boss of the whole shop.

When Hirai was promoted in April 2011 there was speculation that this was part of a long-term plan to replace Howard Stringer as Sony Corporation CEO, which indeed he did do in April 2012. Stringer, who is currently Chairman of Sony, announced his departure as part-time Sony Board Member at the same time that Hirai retired. As a consequence of this reshuffle Hirai has essentially replaced Stringer as part-time Board Member.

Hirai hasn't made a public statement yet, but in the past he's not been shy about talking about the challenges Sony faces [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115638-Sony-Takes-Massive-2-Billion-Third-Quarter-Loss]. "We really need to buckle down and be realistic," he said in February this year, "I don't think everybody [working at the company] is on board, but I think people are coming around to the idea that if we don't turn this around, we could be sitting in some serious trouble."

Now that he's Sony's new boss, he has his chance to reshape the future of the company.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173077/Sony_president_Kaz_Hirai_steps_down_from_SCE_roles.php]

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
That was FUCKING fast, man. Though I thought he was promoted earlier this year, so my perception of it has probably changed.

robert01

Jul 22, 2011
Well hopefully Sony can pull its head out of its ass, stop fighting and suing itself and make some better quality products. (I doubt it though.)

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Oh, man, I forgot about his promotion, thought he was leaving altogether for a minute there. I was actually kind of scared. A refocus, however, is a different matter. One that might even be beneficial.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I think the article probably should have started with his new position rather than his old one.