Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Review

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Steel Battalion: Heavy Armor Review

You are the controller, and that sucks ass.

Read Full Article

AntiChrist

Jul 17, 2009
Oh dear, that looked excruciating. Who in their right mind would add motion control to anything but a tennis game?

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
"As you figure out your controls a lone, brave UN soldier will take out your whole crew."

LOL, say no more. Done.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I saw this coming the moment it was announced. A mech game with motion controls sounds bad enough. It was painful just to watch you in the video struggle with the motion controls, I can only imagine what it's like to actually experience that.

Balkan

Sep 5, 2011
I mean is Kinect that much of a fucking shit ? I havent heard any possitive reviews about a kinect game except for Dance Central .Which is real life DANCING and why whould you need a kinect to dance ?!? Its not like sports game where you press buttons its normal dancing . Sorry Mictro but the kinect is a complete piece of shit , even Sony`s stupid rippoff Move is better .

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
Hammartroll said:
sigh, it looks like this game would be a blast if somehow done right
They could simplify the controls, but that'd make the Steel Battlion series kinda...pointless. Now that I think of it, the answer to this is simply. Like really simple. Stupidly fucking simple in fact. Like sitting-smack-dab-in-front-of-your-hands-in-current-use simple.

A keyboard. Think about it, plenty of buttons to do this and that, nowhere near as cumbersome as the original game's large controller, yet a million times more responsive than the Kinect will ever be, in any single lifetime. An even better idea would be a slightly modded keyboard or even custom keyboard specifically for this game. It'd still be easier to use than either other control method.

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
How do these things get out of initial playtesting to be shipped?

Answer: they don't. They struggle with it themselves, hit the deadline, approval stamp it.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
You know, after Homefront came out, I struggled to think of a more implausible villain invading the US then North Korea and couldn't think of any. It turned out that the UN was the even more implausible villain I was looking for.

It doesn't work in the Left Behind books and it doesn't work here. The only way it works is it you set it in some kind of an Alternate Universe where the UN was granted massive amounts of support by the major nations during the cold war(or maybe afterwards) so it actually poses a legitimate threat as opposed to "We will be very angry and send you a letter telling you just how angry we are if you don't stop your genocidal tactics" they are in real life(wherein, most countries just respond "Send all the nasty letters you want. We have a paper shredder")

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
This is really embarrassing, as the devs are clearly talented and they're going to lose so much credibility after this game flops. From Software are most hardcore when it comes to mech games, but not even they had a hope of making a decent mech sim from the kinect.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
Why won't they put their time into making this a PC game which can be controlled with a joystick and a keyboard? No need to attach a huge and expensive one-purpose controller or using that aweful Kinect.
Pulling levers and pressing buttons by moving your hands in the air isn't realistic and it sounds a lot more annoying when it doesn't work right.
I really hope the MechWarrior remake takes off.

Diplian

Sep 6, 2009
I was so hoping this game would turn out to be a bit decent.
It might have been, on PC.

ahwell, my hopes are now on MechWarrior.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Wait a minute ...
let me get this straight ...
So the story is:
America f*cks up his own country, the UN takes over somehow...
And then America starts to kick the UN out, for some reason...
just because some reason ...

this games seems even broken on paper, con't get me started on motion controls.
Or maybe i don't get it because i am no american i dpn't know...

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the armed branch of the UN mostly backed by Americans?

Heck, even in if the soldiers themselves aren't chances are they were trained by a US military consultant or carrying American gear of some kind.

Either way, the UN. Seriously?! It makes the devs look like a bunch of flag-wearing xenophobic jingos.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
Yea, saw the Angry Joe review of it, which was mostly just him playing what seemed to be the first level. I think he spent 15 minutes trying to get the controls not to get him killed in the very beginning of the mission, then gave up