EA Mocks Zynga in New SimCity Social Trailer

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
EA Mocks Zynga in New SimCity Social Trailer

EA throws another slap in the battle for social gaming supremacy.

Closely following Zynga's recent announcement of The Ville [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/118137-Zynga-Unleashes-Farmville-2-and-a-New-Social-Network] (a game drawing more than a little inspiration from Electronic Arts' The Sims Social), EA has released a rebuttal in the form of a trailer for its upcoming SimCity Social.

The (dangerously catchy) trailer, sung in a drawl reminiscent of a pirate shanty, is full to the brim with sideways glances at Zynga. Entitled "More City, Less 'Ville", the video says that "There's more to do than tend cows", including "looting a factory or two so you can fund your unicorn ranch".

The war for social gaming domination rages on, with both companies vying for the top spot in the lucrative freemium market. With this in mind, it can't be mere coincidence that this comes so soon after a bunch of major revelations from Zynga, which included a social gaming platform separate from Facebook. The fact that the new trailer so directly lambasts Zynga's games is quite jarring, though, so it should be interesting to see if the company responds.

Roper

Apr 1, 2010
It's like watching two super villains duke it out. Free entertainment for all!

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
EA always does this.

It's their form of marketing.

They wanted people to talk about Battlefield 3, so they ragged on Call of Duty.
They wanted people to talk about Origin, so they ragged on Steam.
They now want people to talk about this corpse of a Sim City spinoff, so they rag on Farmville.

I have absolutely no idea who they're trying to convince by trash-talking games that some people like. Considering many players of Farmville are mothers and grandmothers, this trash-talking cursing video is equally misguided.

While the stocks continue to slip for reasons even economists are now attributing to poor PR, EA constantly reminds us why we voted them worst company.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Can EA mock anyone?
I just get the feeling that they are that kid with a "kick me" sign on their back, walking around trying to put "kick me" signs on others.

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
It's like dirty politics but for video games, huh?

Why can't they just make a decent game and talk about why it's good? Am I just old fashioned here?

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
Nasrin said:
It's like dirty politics but for video games, huh?

Why can't they just make a decent game and talk about why it's good? Am I just old fashioned here?
I don't think you've dipped into the R&P forum enough.

This is a delightful jabbing between market rivals.

What happens in dirty politics would put some people with weaker constitutions into the fetal position.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
I think most of us would find that video more entertaining than either SimCity Social or the new Ville.

And of course we all hate Zynga with a passion, so +1 to EA from me.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
mad825 said:
I get the feeling that 4Chan is going to troll for lulz.
It's like watching Darth Vader make fun of Darth Malak for having a breathing problem.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Zynga better have a good comeback or I will be throughly disappointed with them. Well actually I already am but who cares!

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Torrasque said:
Can EA mock anyone?
I just get the feeling that they are that kid with a "kick me" sign on their back, walking around trying to put "kick me" signs on others.
That is a good way of putting it, but I feel like it's more like the kid who had Mexican last night rubbing his shit in other kid's faces, trying to convince them his shit doesn't stink as badly.

Really, there are a few developers who could have gotten away with this, but until EA can actually prove they've done better things than Zynga has recently (or at least prove they give a shit about the people who give them money), they aren't just throwing stones in glass houses. They've repurposed a pitching machine into a rock throwing machine and are mowing the place down as fast as they possibly can.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
I'm surprised people that hating on Zynga here.

Zynga makes crap games, but they've never done anything disagreeable.
EA has ruined franchises, pushed EA Download Manager, and rushed incomplete games only to charge for DLC later.

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Nasrin said:
Yes.

I miss when you could unleash Bowser upon your city.

Edit:

I look forward to the day when Godzilla can attack your city.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
gigastar said:
I think most of us would find that video more entertaining than either SimCity Social or the new Ville.

And of course we all hate Zynga with a passion, so +1 to EA from me.
a +1? sweet. That brings them to a grand total of -97,421,496,754

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I hate EA, but I hate Zynga more.

I approve of this message.

[small]in b4 "The Sim's Social: Your Mother is Going to Hate this Game." advert[/small]