EA's New Games May Help Put You in College

Timothy Chang

painkillers and whiskey
Jun 5, 2012
EA's New Games May Help Put You in College

EA has partnered with a non-profit organization to develop a variety of specialized learning games.

Electronic Arts has partnered with non-profit organization Institute of Play and the Electronic Software Association to establish a "games lab" for making games to be used in classrooms across the USA.

The Games, Learning and Assessment (GLASS) lab, announced at the Aspen Ideas Festival, will be researching the skills students need to succeed at a collegiate level. The lab's developers will then proceed to make new games and modify existing ones based on the results, possibly with one of EA's bountiful IPs sprinkled on top.

The lab's price tag is valued at a cool $10.3 million in grants, generously funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation. Given the non-profit nature of the project, any educational games that are released will be made available to schools and students at little to no cost.

Jeff Brown, EA's Senior Vice President of Public Affairs, says that the industry has experienced "a transformative change over the past decade", and that several opportunities to use games in other areas have come up, including education. "We are excited to be a founding partner of GLASS Lab," he said, "and not only house the organization at our headquarters but lend our world-class IP and talent to the project."

EA isn't the only company with its eye on schools. Valve has expressed a similar interest in the education sector, releasing a free version of its software for educators [http://www.teachwithportals.com] and holding workshops on how to use it in the classroom.

Source: MCVUK [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/173238/Electronic_Arts_ESA_to_create_games_for_students_with_new_nonprofit_game_lab.php]

mindlesspuppet

Jun 16, 2004
I dunno I doubt educational games will get above 90 on metacritic and sell 5 million copies... EA should be careful

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
First they ruin games, now they are trying to ruin education? What next? EA joins with KMart to launch it's own string of shopping centers to ruin?

MailOrderClone

Nov 30, 2009
EA's reputation right now is such that they could be privately funding a home for wayward orphans and puppies, and the first thing people would think is that they're putting the orphans and puppies to work as unpaid laborers. They really need to put some effort into making folks think more highly of them. Happily, this GLASS program is a step in the right direction.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
EA seems to take one step forward, a dozen steps back. And it's gotten to the stage where half of the internet sees the forward movement as EA getting ready to sprint backwards.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
MailOrderClone said:
EA's reputation right now is such that they could be privately funding a home for wayward orphans and puppies, and the first thing people would think is that they're putting the orphans and puppies to work as unpaid laborers. They really need to put some effort into making folks think more highly of them. Happily, this GLASS program is a step in the right direction.
Indeed it is a step in the right direction. However, if anything defines EA at the moment it's that they're very good at taking 'a step' in the right direction... only to fall straight down a crevasse as soon as we dare to hope that they might actually reforming.

All I'm saying is watch this space, because mark my words now we've taken notice they're going to find some way to screw even this up.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I actually checked out the comments just to see how people were gonna find a way to hate EA, despite this pretty darn noble project.

antipunt

Jan 3, 2009
Alternative said:
Certainly wont get you into business college
This, coupled with your profile avatar, is almost priceless.

On topic; my first reaction was expecting this to be some sort of bait and switch, in some form or another. Not saying that's accurate or whatever; just my hunch. True altruism with companies (let alone E freaking A) is a silly notion

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Oh, EA will put me in collage?
what course?
- "Assholeness Maximization"?
- "PR-Fxckupping"?
- "Customer disgruntling"?
or just good ol'"Economic Vampirisim"

Techsmart07

Mar 5, 2011
any educational games that are released will be made available to schools and students at little to no cost
... excluding the cost of the $60 DLC pack that will be released next to it. Also, it's Origin only.

In all seriousness, I am glad EA is doing something other than giving me a reason to hate them. Anything that can help students have a chance to succeed, even if it's a small chance, is worth it.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Oh my god, this instantly makes EA the bestest and most awesome-est. Anything they've ever done from the ridiculous business decisions to ruining francises to Origin related retardation - all is forgiven. EA is now better than Valve, pizza, trampoline sex, or air.
EA is the awesome-est!

*sarcasm foams at the mouth*

Why? Because is way too soon to tell how this will turn out. Like they most definitely are in the bedroom, EA is incredibly pre-mature when it comes to tooting their own horns.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
I dunno I doubt educational games will get above 90 on metacritic and sell 5 million copies... EA should be careful
Nah, it'll be fine. They'll just combine education games with third person shooting. That way it'll teach you stuff, but it'll still have a broad appeal.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
gigastrike said:
I actually checked out the comments just to see how people were gonna find a way to hate EA, despite this pretty darn noble project.
Oh god, this so hard. It's getting ridiculous. As hard as it might be for some of you to believe-

1. EA is made of more than just one guy in a suit who hates you and kills puppies.
2. Just because a company does things you don't like doesn't mean they're absolutely, with no possible exceptions, on the farthest atom-width section of the good vs. evil spectrum. You wouldn't like it if I called you a completely irrational, inhumanly hateful bandwagoner, because that's hyperbole and believing it would be stupid.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
Tsaba said:
First they ruin games, now they are trying to ruin education? What next? EA joins with KMart to launch it's own string of shopping centers to ruin?
Agreed, the education system was doing just fine ruining itself for the last 2 decades.

Jan 13, 2012
RatRace123 said:
mindlesspuppet said:
Nah, it'll be fine. They'll just combine education games with third person shooting. That way it'll teach you stuff, but it'll still have a broad appeal.
Then they'll release $30 dollar DLCs for extra educational stuff. Like different colours and numbers.
Phlakes said:
1. EA is made of more than just one guy in a suit who hates you and kills puppies.
This is true, most are on the "mowing over kittens for fun" level of evil.