The Act Combines Classic Animation With iOS Gaming

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
The Act Combines Classic Animation With iOS Gaming

An ex-Disney animator converts 235,000 sheets of paper into an "interactive comedy."

When Omar Khudari first designed The Act in 2001 he wanted to create an arcade-style game that appealed to a broad audience. His hand-drawn animation - a legacy from Khudari's days at Disney - looked spectacular, but didn't save the title. Now the guys at React Entertainment have the property, and they've taken it to what they see as its natural home - the iOS store - where mobile gamers can enjoy its animated charms for $3.

They first got hold of The Act in 2009, just before the iPad came on the scene. "We really think that the time is right to go take this game to the next level," React's Daniel Kraus recalls telling Khudari when React pitched for the property, using the argument that mobile gaming was about to "blow up." Khudari agreed, and The Act was born.

The switch meant abandoning its arcade style roots, and also a lot of extra work. "The original architecture was certainly not intended for what we're using it for," Kraus admits, pointing out that much of the original game had been replaced to fit it into the mobile marketplace.

That doesn't mean anything got dropped; just compressed. "The original game was 235,000 frames," says Kraus, reminiscing about Khudari 's clever hand-drawn animation."We still have the paper," he says, "all the drawings." React turned Khudari's labor of love into a game that may take an hour to play through, but probably closer to three hours if you hit all of the variant scenes.

No concrete word on what will happen next, though Kraus hints that there are "certainly opportunities in the game area for platforms and content that were extended forward." The Act is available on the iStore now.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/172928/Handdrawn_iOS_interactive_comedy_began_as_a_failed_arcade_experiment.php]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Why have I not heard of this before and why is it not on steam?

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Interesting. Is it a point and click adventure game akin to Monkey Island? Or is it a QT press now type of game?

Worgen said:
I think it's cause the developers thought IOS and mobile games are gonna become the only medium of gaming in the future. :p though I agree why isn't it on Steam?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Nile McMorrow said:
Interesting. Is it a point and click adventure game akin to Monkey Island? Or is it a QT press now type of game?

Worgen said:
I think it's cause the developers thought IOS and mobile games are gonna become the only medium of gaming in the future. :p though I agree why isn't it on Steam?
It sorta sounds like it was originally developed with a different platform in mind but the article doesn't say.

TilMorrow

Diabolical Party Member
Jul 7, 2010
Worgen said:
It sorta sounds like it was originally developed with a different platform in mind but the article doesn't say.
Thats true, there weren't any iPod touchs or iPads back in 2001. Though when I read "arcade-style game" I was thinking of something like Space Invaders or Mario rather than Monkey Island, which is the type of thing the trailer is suggesting. Maybe they did originally plan for it to be on the PC.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
There's a reason they stopped making FMV games. Most of them sucked and the best of them were decent. Why not just release Dragon's Lair for new platforms?

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Korten12 said:
I played it, was really good but REALLY short. Like 15 minutes.
It takes a LONG time to animate anything, particularly if your doing 2D (or god forbid, CLAY animation). If, as it sounds like given this article, they drew each and every frame by hand, that takes a massive amount of time. Since you have to animate several "paths," each one you need to animate more and more. Using this process, we are lucky to get the game at all, even though it was so short. The one time it was tried with a feature length movie, The Thief and the Cobblier, was in production for 30 years as one man painted each frame by hand, and was still nowhere near done when it was released (studio took it from him and hastily got someone to cheaply fill in the needed scenes and write a terrible script). Even if cel shading (characters move, but the backgrounds don't) took awhile. Only now, with flash, can 2D films be made with any reasonable amount of time, without making the animation horrid (such as the original Scooby Doo).