Linux Users Accuse Blizzard of Unfair Bans

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Linux Users Accuse Blizzard of Unfair Bans

Blizzard says it's not banning Linux users from Diablo 3 for using Wine, but because they're cheating.

The cry went up yesterday from Linux users far and wide, claiming that Blizzard is "banning Linux users for using Linux," or more precisely, for running Diablo 3 under Wine. Wine [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wine_(software)], for those not in the know, is software that allows Linux users to run Microsoft Windows programs.

According to the claims, Blizzard's cheat detection system is picking it up as a cheat, leading to bans and a refusal to issue refunds to those affected. It's impossible to say exactly what tripped the wire since Blizzard doesn't disclose that information in ban notices, but as one affected user pointed out, Blizzard has previously noted that running "unsupported hardware or software," including operating systems like Linux, could cause grief with its system survey program [http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/system-survey-troubleshooting]. It's not a huge leap to think that similar issues could arise with its anti-cheat systems.

Blizzard, however, is sticking to its guns, saying that no unrighteous bans have been handed out. "We've extensively tested for false positive situations, including replicating system setups for those who have posted claiming they were banned unfairly," Community Manager Micah "Bashiok" Whipple wrote [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=21#402]. "We've not found any situations that could produce a false positive, have found that the circumstances for which they were banned were clear and accurate, and we are extremely confident in our findings."

"Playing the game on Linux, although not officially supported, will not get you banned - cheating will," he added. He also denied claims that the situation is similar to mistaken World of Warcraft bans in 2006, saying [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=23#459], "It's not a similar situation, but it's sure to be something to fuel the fire of doubt."

A number of Wine users have since spoken up to confirm that they're still playing without impediment, but that hasn't done much to mollify those who are banned or who like to think that Blizzard is inherently evil and/or incompetent. Who's right, who's wrong? The mystery, such as it is, isn't likely to be solved to everyone's satisfaction with anything less than a confession. "It's company policy not to discuss account actions with anyone but the account holder, or their legal guardian if applicable," Bashiok wrote [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=27#529]. "It's an issue between us and them. Trust me, it'd be much easier on me to just post exactly what they did, but we feel it's important to honor the privacy of our customers."

Source: Ubuntu Vibes [http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5978861022?page=1]

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Blizzard could have avoided a lot of its problems by allowing you to create and online character and an offline character.

The offline character could be modded and cheated as much as you wanted, while the online character would have access to all the online features.

Banning people from playing a game that they play themselves without a refund is unacceptable.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So they tried to run Diablo III on a computer that didn't meet the system requirements (by virtue of not using a supported OS) and then try to act like it's Blizzards fault when it doesn't run?

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
People will ***** and blame everything on Blizzard no matter what they do, so there's really no winning. Everyone just like to whine and hate on companies I guess.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
Roll on the tedious and predictable I HATE BLIZZ AND DIABLO3 SUCKS posts. yawn.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Aeshi said:
So they tried to run Diablo III on a computer that didn't meet the system requirements (by virtue of not using a supported OS) and then try to act like it's Blizzards fault when it doesn't run?
Not at all... it did run perfectly fine. Then they got banned.[hr]I really hope this isn't because of Wine, and I really don't see why it would be after it's never been an issue for Starcraft II or WoW.

happy_turtle

Apr 11, 2010
I doubt they'll get a refund. I've been in contact with Blizzard for about a month now about the game simply not working (meet all specs and using Windows 7). They acknowledge that it's their fault but they state that they don't have to follow EU trading laws.

Such an arrogant approach to their customers hopefully will come around to bite them in the rear.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
People will claim anything to avoid being banned, there's an entire website dedicated to collecting e-mails sent to xbox LIVE staff in attempts to be un-banned.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
happy_turtle said:
I doubt they'll get a refund. I've been in contact with Blizzard for about a month now about the game simply not working (meet all specs and using Windows 7). They acknowledge that it's their fault but they state that they don't have to follow EU trading laws.

Such an arrogant approach to their customers hopefully will come around to bite them in the rear.
Now I like balance. I like to think that in general Blizz is a good company who try to make great games. On the other hand, the ALWAYSONLINE crap is just idiotic.
However, there is no way anyone can defend what's happening to you. They owe you you're money back, plain and simple.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
I'd love to see then screw this "privacy for our users" with the banned ones. There surely is some tasty data proving the cheating.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
darkszero said:
I'd love to see then screw this "privacy for our users" with the banned ones. There surely is some tasty data proving the cheating.
It's more likely they don't want to give away how they're catching the cheating that is happening. If they say how they're catching the cheaters, the rest can adapt their methods. This is also a large part of the reason they don't ban people as soon as they have verification, and prefer to use mass ban waves - so you can't correlate your activities with what is getting you caught as easily.

"Protecting" user privacy doesn't quite stretch far enough to cover "These users were cheating via X method, and here's the anonymized proof/logs".

Varil

May 23, 2011
You know...even if they were cheating, it's still bullshit to be banned from something your purchased. If only there were some way to allow people to play their legitimately purchased software without having to worry about them cheating online!

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Eh, Blizzard not caring about their costumers and gamers whining about stuff isn't really news anymore...
Varil said:
You know...even if they were cheating, it's still bullshit to be banned from something your purchased. If only there were some way to allow people to play their legitimately purchased software without having to worry about them cheating online!
And that too.
Even if you get caught speeding drunk they don't take your car. You might lose the licence to use it in public but what you do with it on your private land is your own damn thing.

Agow95 said:
People will claim anything to avoid being banned, there's an entire website dedicated to collecting e-mails sent to xbox LIVE staff in attempts to be un-banned.
I am intrigued, pray tell me more.

darkszero

Apr 1, 2010
Kross said:
It's more likely they don't want to give away how they're catching the cheating that is happening. If they say how they're catching the cheaters, the rest can adapt their methods. This is also a large part of the reason they don't ban people as soon as they have verification, and prefer to use mass ban waves - so you can't correlate your activities with what is getting you caught as easily.

"Protecting" user privacy doesn't quite stretch far enough to cover "These users were cheating via X method, and here's the anonymized proof/logs".
I did a quick jump to one the diablo hacking sites, and they pretty much understand how the warden works, what it looks for and such. After all, it's a software running on your computer, you can't hide how it works.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
Quaxar said:
Eh, Blizzard not caring about their costumers and gamers whining about stuff isn't really news anymore...
Varil said:
And that too.
Even if you get caught speeding drunk they don't take your car. You might lose the licence to use it in public but what you do with it on your private land is your own damn thing.

Agow95 said:
I am intrigued, pray tell me more.
http://whywasibanned.com/
It's about 70 pages of people who don't know that the XBLPET team have files on why their accounts were banned, and thinking they can lie they're way out of it, or people who are stupid and don't understand why they get banned for having "SgtThroatReamer" as a gamertag, seriously, look://whywasibanned.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/g-rated.png

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
These players must like Swiss cheese with their Wine, cause there seems to be a few holes in their claim.
http://mirrors.rit.edu/instantCSI/

Couldnt resist... Resist All that is!

could we be questioning the dominance of Windows OS here? and the monopolisation of the industry that has forced other systems onto the fringes?

That said, I know one guy using Linux, and he's doing a maths degree. he gets everything he deserves.

Agow95

Jul 29, 2011
NuclearShadow said:
I am going to have to side with Blizzard on this one. Naturally there are going to be cheaters regardless of what OS they run. If this was a sudden mass ban on everyone running Linux then it would appear to be a error. But the fact is others are currently playing still without a problem shows it isn't false flagging them for that reason.

Aeshi said:
Umm, how did you get to that conclusion? That is way far off from what happened.

Agow95 said:
People will claim anything to avoid being banned, there's an entire website dedicated to collecting e-mails sent to xbox LIVE staff in attempts to be un-banned. http://whywasibanned.com/
It's about 70 pages of people who don't know that the XBLPET team have files on why their accounts were banned,
Isn't this a possible violation of the privacy policy they have? Perhaps against the law as well, a company does not have the legal rights to just go and show anyone without good reason about any information regarding their clients unless given consent by the client. I really doubt Microsoft has hidden in the terms of agreement that any message sent to staff can be shared openly online.
I think the content comes from forums on the Xbox site, and the site isn't endorsed by microsoft anyway, nor does it contain private details, just account names, which anyone can see.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Oh, Blizzard, Blizzard...

You may be able to spit in the faces of your Mac/Windows costumers, but beware. YOU DO NOT MESS WITH LINUX USERS!! EVER!! They will find you and they will DDOSs the crap out of your severs.