Scientist Invents World's First Perfectly Healthy Pizza

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Scientist Invents World's First Perfectly Healthy Pizza

Scottish brainiacs have developed a nutritionally balanced pizza that can (and should) be eaten three times a day.

Pizza is a surprisingly complex food. It's delicious, relatively easy to make, and can be created with a near infinite variety of toppings. You may prefer other meals, but the odds are pretty low that anyone will build specialized restaurants around them that deliver right to your doorstep. The only problem is that eating copious amounts of pizza on a regular basis lends itself to an early death via heart disease or diabetes. But since nobody in their right mind was ever going to stop eating pizza to prevent little things like heart attacks, a Scottish team at the University of Glasgow have done a great service to humankind: they designed "nutritionally balanced" pizzas that can be consumed for every meal without putting yourself into a coma.

It all began when Professor Mike Lean of the university's human nutrition department became frustrated with the nutritional content of processed meals. "They contain as much salt as you should have in a whole day or more," Lean said. "They contain as much saturated fat as you should have in a whole day or more. The nutrients we need every day are absent from these meals. Nobody has thought about it. So I got together with [Eat Balanced Founder Donnie Maclean] to try to do this."

Using pizza as an example of "common foods eaten in huge numbers" that could be consumed at any time of day, Lean and Maclean started looking at ways to raise nutrient and vitamin content while lowering calories and carbohydrates to reasonable levels. The final product, using nutrient-rich seaweed in the dough, can actually meet most of the body's needs when eaten three times a day. "Each pizza gives a complete meal, with all the nutrients in it, for 30% of your day," Maclean explained.

But is it any good? According to 100 taste testers, the nutritional pizza is ranked as good or better than other frozen pizzas currently available on the market. United Kingdom Supermarkets are already in talks to bring the pizzas to their stores, but Lean and Maclean are moving on to develop recipes for nutritionally balanced fish and chips. Seriously.

While we'll have to wait and see whether nutritionally balanced meals will make their way to North America, please feel free to share which favorite artery-clogging meal you'd like to see a healthy version of in the comments.

Source: <a href=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-18663969>BBC via <a href=http://gizmodo.com/5923097/scientist-creates-pizza-healthy-enough-to-eat-3-times-a-day-every-day?popular=true>Gizmodo

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
For a few seconds I was going "What does this have to do with video games?"
Then I realized that at almost every Halo party I ever went to there was pizza....

Silly me

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
DVS BSTrD said:
I still refuse to call it a vegetable!
Agreed!

Another food I want made "healthier" is bacon... without it being made out of something other than pigs. I eat bacon every meal I can and it would be appreciated if I could avoid death in the process.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
Sadly if they ever bring it to America they'll have to charge $20 a slice for it. Healthy food isn't allowed to be cheap here.

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
So... this is it right? This is the beginning of the revolutionary point in history when we finally turn science towards making all food healthy and it becomes possible to eat basically anything for dinner and not be too concerned about, you know dying young?

BECAUSE THAT'D BE COOL GUYS

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
My family beat them to it.

Seriously, there's terrifying amounts of healthy on ours, and it tastes... homemade.

But hey, if you don't do cooking, then this is a great idea.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
LavaLampBamboo said:
So... this is it right? This is the beginning of the revolutionary point in history when we finally turn science towards making all food healthy and it becomes possible to eat basically anything for dinner and not be too concerned about, you know dying young?

BECAUSE THAT'D BE COOL GUYS
It was already like that, you just had to be a good chef.

Ever heard of the Podleski sisters? They've been all over this since the early 1990s.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
Now create bacon that i can eat for all my meals without getting fat/high blood pressure/cholesterol/cancer!!

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Recipe or it didn't happen.

I'm gonna see if I can find out how to make it at home, to hell with waiting for it to reach the US market.

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
Ryans Solution said:
DVS BSTrD said:
I still refuse to call it a vegetable!
Agreed!

Another food I want made "healthier" is bacon... without it being made out of something other than pigs. I eat bacon every meal I can and it would be appreciated if I could avoid death in the process.

Scientists May take my calories but they will NEVER take my BACON!!!

Braedan

Sep 14, 2010
Just this morning I was thinking to myself, "Don't we live in the god damned future? We can almost control computers accurately with our BRAINS and no one has sat down to fix the whole, we're fat problem?"

Lo and behold, my question has been answered. Starting with my favorite junk food.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
I'm game. I always wondered why 'processed' had to be synonymous with 'filled with unnecessary crap' - perhaps this is the beginning of a cultural shift?

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Mr.Tea said:
"World's first"?

What a load of bullshit. Just making a pizza with good ingredients is already a healthy and very well-rounded meal.
Just because people can't be arsed to choose and eat good food themselves doesn't make this a world first by any stretch of the imagination.
The article was outlining how you can eat it for every meal and it's still perfectly underneath your GDA for salt, calories etc. along with containing recommended amounts of nutrients

Lord Beautiful

Aug 13, 2008
FantomOmega said:
*awesome picture snip*
You know about that theoretical joke that's so funny it leaves you unable to laugh at anything else?

I'm not sure I'll ever have another boner.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
Well that's cool. Hopefully it'll come stateside so I can get it instead of my current favorite frozen pizza.
crimson5pheonix said:
Make a healthy KFC Double Down. I dare you.
I double down dare you!

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Why the hell are the Scottish doing this? They have a name for battered pizza, and it's bought regularly by people.

Surprised there isn't more emphasis on the Scot part!